“Pleasant stay - nice hotel!”

Great Southern Hotel Sligo
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Brisbane, Australia
“Pleasant stay - nice hotel!”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed here around mid-July. Location is about a 5 minute walk to the city center so relatively central. If your driving the hotel offers free parking onsite and you register your details with reception. The hotel interiors is quite nice although perhaps a little dated - still very nice. Reasonable bar and restaurant downstairs with wifi access in the lobby. The room was relatively comfortable and spacious as well as being clean. Pleasant night sleep so no complaints. Overall if I was to return to Sligo, based on price, I would definitely return due to the value offered at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Dublin
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was on a business trip to Sligo in late July 2013 and booked into this hotel for two nights. What a disaster! I parked my car in the car park and proceeded on foot to the hotel entrance with my case and several bags. I had to ascend about six steps then another five or so steps and then finally another one or two before I reached the hotel entrance. A ramp was not visible. When I checked in I asked for help with the remainder of my luggage and this was provided. The lift is quite small and the doors open very slowly and I was scared it would break down every time I used it. The wi fi did not work in my bedroom.

The hotel décor and furnishings are dull. My bedroom was sweltering and I asked for a fan which I received. I also asked for a top sheet and a duvet cover was provided. The bed was not conducive to a good night's sleep and guests were coming and going into the early hours of each morning talking and banging doors. I also found it difficult to read with the bedside lamps.

One sat where one liked having breakfast and helped themselves. I had muesli on the first morning, it was powder like and tasteless. The hot food I tried to eat was cold. The orange juice was tepid.

When I returned on the second evening my bed was not made, the duvet cover was still in place and a new top sheet was folded and left on top of the bed.

When I was asked was everything ok when I was checking out I responded no and listed out my complaints. A manager telephoned me the next day and said she would report matters at a management meeting later that evening and would revert to me. To date I have not received that call.

I won't be going back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Elizabeth M

Travellers are raving about these Sligo hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 July 2013

As a non-driver, the fact that the Best Western was right across from the train station was a big selling point for me. It was far enough away and with decent enough soundproofing for us not to be bothered by the station noises either.
If the decor of a hotel is important to you, the loud and clashing colours in the lounge may bother you. Fortunately for me, this is not the case.
The bedroom is tidy, clean and comfortable and the view from our room on the second floor was pleasant. The staff at the front desk were very polite and helpful, going so far as to suggest places to visit nearby and giving detailed directions.
One thing that brought it down was that, when we went out for drinks during the night, we returned to find the doors were locked and had to hail a cleaner over to let us back in. This is probably our own fault for not checking whether the hotel opened all night or not, however but it was the first time I've ever experience a hotel locking up completely for the night like that.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed 2 nights here on July 24th and 25th. It was fine. Not bad but nothing special. The room was a bit smaller than I would have thought although this might have been partly due to the massive bed. I was dissappointed to discover that the bed was 2 single beds pushed together which caused an uncomfortable crease right down the middle.

The TV had a good few channels on it however we didn't have a remote control for it. Not much of a problem as we don't go away to watch TV.

I found the room to be very warm, mainly due to the hot weather. There was no air conditioning so we had to open the window. However we were at the front of the hotel so with the window open we had traffic noise and drunk girls arguing. (I hope herself and Chloe made up). So it was a choice between too noisy or too warm. Wouldn't have mattered much as we would have been woken by loud chamber maids roaring down the corridor at each other in the morning anyway.

We had asked for a bottle of wine to be in our room when we arrived and they obliged. However I then had to bring the bottle back down to the bar to have it uncorked which kind of defeated the purpose.

The staff were very nice and very friendly and the decor in the bar was lovely. Drink was reasonably priced for a hotel, can't say the same for the food though. We didn't actually eat in the hotel but breakfast was advertised at €10 per person if pre booked or a whopping €18 if not!!!!! There are plenty of places down by the river where you will get good food for half that price.

The hotel was greatly positioned right beside the bus and rail station but overall I don't think i would go back. Next time we will try the Glasshouse which was only a few quid more expensive but generally has good reviews

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2013

During our trip to Ireland we stayed at the Best Western Southern Hotel, an old fashioned quaint
hotel, an enjoyable and relaxing place to stay. Good service and an excellent cooked English breakfast. not a fan of Haggis for breakfast but plenty of other breakfast choices.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnb255100
Metamora, Michigan
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Very nice hotel with all of the service you could ask for. Clean rooms a bit on the smallish size, great spa/fitness center which included a pool large enough to swim laps, a co-ed stream room and hot tub, and large workout room with multiple machines for both cardio and strength training. The only drawback was the lack of A/C which made sleeping in the 80 plus degree heat not so nice. The breakfast buffet was good and offered both hot and cold items. Excellent pub on-site and staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street didn't get the afternoon sun and heat but are a bit louder with the wind...