“What a Disappointment”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Drogheda, Ireland
“What a Disappointment”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel only because we couldnt get a last-minute reservation in the Glasshouse Hotel nextdoor. Parking is to the rear of the building and is very limited. We just got the last space. Check-in was friendly and efficient. Our room was nearby, but on entering same, we were blown away by the smell of stale ciggerette smoke in our non-smoking room. I complained for the first time in all the hotels we've ever been in and left the key with the receptionist. When I returned four hours later, the room window had been opened! We both have a sense of humour, so needless to say, we just laughed. The room still smelled strongly of smoke and if it had been a longer stay, we would certainly have asked for another room. The lighting in the room was less than adequate to the say the least. My husband couldnt see to shave the following morning. It didnt help that the light over the bathroom mirror didnt work. I dont open my own front door without my make-up, so you can imagine the fun I had the following morning, trying to remember where all the features on my face were! The tv was old-style with a hand-full of stations only. The stadard lamp in the room did not work either. This was a bummer, because I couldnt see clearly enough to read. The hotel was quiet, but we could hear the guy in the next room snoring like a tractor! Breakfast was adequate but not very exciting and included a hot selection. Overall, the only thing going for this hotel is its location bang in the city centre. It is an old hotel that requires serious updating and refurbishment. My advice to anyone wanting to stay in Sligo - stay in the Glasshouse.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Pentonys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

We arrived here with no booking and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who couldn't do enough for us. The room was really nice, big, spacious and the bathroom was lovely. The location was so central and the breakfast was delicious. Parking facilities were provided so I have absolutely nothing negative about this hotel and would recommend to anyone and I am very hard to please!!

• Stayed September 2012
belfast
Reviewed 5 September 2012

booked room only on late rooms.com. Small twin room but clean. dodgy tv but if you only want somewhere to sleep its fine. Didnt eat there but looked at the menu and it was standard. This hotel would suit stag/hen parties. 1 good thing is they have parking at the rear which in Sligo thats a bonus. very good location as it is located in the very center of Slgo

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 16 August 2012

The room was very nice, elegant and spacious: I had booked a triple room, so besides a single and a double bed, there was also a big sofa, a table and 2 chairs!!! There were all the facilities needed: tv set, hair dryer and a big and clean bathroom. The staff was very nice. It is very well located because it is in the centre of Sligo and it has a complimentary car park.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Easy to find although the car park is tiny! Reception staff helpful and friendly.
Our room was comfy and clean, the shower was a stupid design and basically soaked the whole bathroom!
We did not eat here but the bar was ok, if a little slow ( one member of staff on and it was a busy night as Sligo races were on)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ali B
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night - when I arrived the hotel was fully booked and I was allocated a room (garvogue suite) no windows and no light. Sarah at reception tried her best to give me another room but due to the hotel being fully booked this could not happen. Anyway the hotel is in a good location very central for sligo. I did not eat in the restaurant so I cannot comment on the food.

I would stay again - but not in that room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Donegal
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just back from a night here. Excellent location but the carpark is very small. Check-in was very smooth with a very helpful receptionist. Check-out proved more difficult with a very unpleasant and unhelpful staff member who tried to charge me more than the rate at which I booked the hotel. Management rectified the situation. Overall, I feel that there is a considerable choice of hotels in Sligo which represent better value for money. I stayed here as I was traveling with a group. It was the only available hotel which was able to accommodate us all on our travel date.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends