“very friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
manchester
“very friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Myself and my extended family stayed here whilst waiting for my brothers funeral the management and staff could not do enough for us ,I would like to say a special thank you to Brian and Trevor, the hotel did the reception for my brothers funeral with great compassion and thoughtfulness everything in the hotel including rooms and food was perfect I would personally recommend this hotel to everyone I know Norah Smith xx

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear rivergirl16
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us at the Sligo City Hotel.
We are delighted to see that we managed to make you and your family feel at home during the difficult time you have had of late
Trevor Canning

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New England, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I and our adult son stayed here one night during a traditional music festival in November. We are from North Dakota, USA, and this was our second night in Ireland. Had to call the front desk to learn how to turn on the lights...room key, but everything else was great. Went out to the pubs and listened to a lot of great tunes. Loved the river and views. When we returned to the hotel, they were kind enough to unlock the piano so that my son could play and we and a few other patrons could sing. Life does not get better than singing in an Irish pub...in Ireland. I appreciate the hospitality. In 8 days in Ireland, I don't think we met anyone who was not kind, polite and friendly. Dublin, clonmacnoise, sligo, tubercurry, Westport, galway and Fermoy. Roots make for weird but fun routes. Best wishes!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above the band that is playing US Country Western at 1 in the AM :)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Dan G
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.
We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had such a Fantastic Holiday in Ireland .
Hopefully you will visit us again soon
Trevor Canning General Manager
Castlebar, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here recently for one night in the oyster suite. Our room was freezing when we arrived and had only a electric heater on the wall to heat the room, which was nice and cosy before we left! After a walk around the town we returned to the hotel to get something to eat to be told that the chef was gone home at 8:45. What hotel is finished serving food by 8:30?? The breakfast was not included in the price and cost €10 pp they started serving at 7:30 and we were there before 8 yet my rashers looked like they were cooked hours before. The full irish consisted of 1 sausage 2 rashers egg 1 piece of pudding and half a tomato. Oh and you have to make your own toast. Not impressed at all.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Laura S
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Laura S
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us at the Hotel. I have checked the time you checked in and the Heating should have been on the room by this time. There is a thermostat on the wall so you can alter the room temperature that suits you.
Our Breakfast costing €10 includes a Range of Juices, Cereals, Fruits, Full Hot Breakfast, Toast/Bread, Tea/Coffee
Our Bar & Restaurant is open in the evenings from 6.30 - 9.00pm for evening Food so I will investigate as to why there was no food available when you requested it.
Once again it is a shame that you did not enjoy your break with us - I would be delighted to discuss your stay at a time that suits you
Trevor Canning (General Manager) 071 91 44000
Mayo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed here 12th Feb 2014 - Corporate rate of €60.00 for 1 night B & B with free car parking.
The hotel is in a great location, right in the middle of Sligo and opposite the Quays Shopping Centre so that is the first positive. The staff at reception were very pleasant and professional. The room was a little small and slightly dated but was perfectly adequate for my purpose. The bed was very comfortable but the pillow too hard for my personal taste but I got a good night's sleep nevertheless. There is a temperature gauge on the wall that allows you to control the heating in the bedroom but I couldn't figure out how to regulate the temperature in the en-suite. The en-suite was weird, as it had 2 external walls with 2 very large windows and was very cold - there was a heated towel rail but that seemed to have turned off during the night meaning a very quick shower in the morning. The bar was shut (Wednesday night) when I stayed, which I found most unusual so I can't comment on the bar food or service there. Breakfast was adequate with the only option for your cooked breakfast being the Full Irish, or your own variation of same but it is cooked to order. I would choose this hotel again for the location, free car parking and pleasant staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AchillIslandMayo
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Achill Island Mayo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.
We were delighted to hear that you would come back to stay with us again at the Sligo CIty Hotel.
We are continuing to upgrade and refurbish our bedrooms and have a variety of room types within the Hotel. We do have a full Breakfast Menu available - apologies if this was not pointed out to you.
Bar Service is available at the Hotel every day. The Towel Heater in our bathrooms are on a timer system - we are currently looking at increasing the length of times they are on.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon again.
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here as part of a Valentine's promotion the hotel was offering. From the moment we arrived every member of staff we encountered were very pleasant. The room was very tidy and spacious. The food in the restaurant was fantastic. After our meal we had a few drinks at the bar and enjoyed the company of other guests. It was a welcome change to drink at a hotel bar were the barman was polite and cheerful. The hotel is located in the centre of the Sligo and within walking distance of all shops. I would definitely stay at the Sligo City Hotel again and recommend it to anyone visiting there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rabman
We were all delighted to read your review following your recent stay at the Hotel. We are delighted we made your Valentines Weekend away that bit more special. We would be delighted to see you back again soon with us.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your Review.
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed here myself and my friend for two nights,on the 14th December it was very enjoyable stay the hotel is very central ,great for shopping ,very comfortable,cosy and very friendly hotel.The Manager Trevor is brillant very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home.I have to give mention to Brien in the bar he was also very nice and friendly,sorry about the sing-song but we enjoyed it and we be back.I would only stay at this hotel when i go back to Sligo

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TrevCGM, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Lady 810
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Sligo City Hotel before Christmas. It sounds like you and your friend had a very enjoyable stay with us. We are always delighted to hear a sing song in the Quays Bar here.
We look forward to having you stay with us again the Hotel very soon
County Donegal, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Just a one night stay & I was happy with my experience in the City Hotel. Secure parking in the gate controlled car park & no difficulty finding a space. I arrived at 1445 & my room was ready even though checking in was from 1500. Checking in was quick, into one of the 2 lifts & I was in my 1st floor, non smoking room in no time. Size wise it was ok, was clean & bright & the room temperature was perfect. With carpeted floor it had 2 single beds, luggage rack, dresser, large mirror, wardrobe, tv, trouser press, smoke alarm, tea/coffee & hairdryer. With mahogany effect furniture, the room didn’t feel very modern or contempory & the tv was in a strange position to the side of the beds when maybe, a wall mounted tv might be a better option. 2 windows so, no problem with natural light & no issue with noise from outside of the hotel. I did hear guests in the hallway outside of my room in the early hours but that lasted for just a moment & my impression was that it was 2 guests that had forgotten their room number. Other than that, sleep quality was good.
The bathroom was small with tiled floor & walls, bath, fixed head shower with very good pressure, shower curtain, shampoo, soap but no bodywash/shower gel, 1 bath towel, 1 hand towel & shaving socket.
I went for breakfast at 0930 & it was quiet with only one table occupied. Cereals, fruit slices, toast, brown bread, a very good full Irish fry, fruit juices, tea & coffee. I was happy with my breakfast even though I was told that the hotel was in the process of closing down for a week’s holiday & that things weren’t as organised as they would usually be.
A very good location in Sligo town centre, I would use the City Hotel again without any hesitation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Gaildorfblues
Dear Micdev
Thank you for your recent comments on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Sligo City Hotel - We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us before our short period of closure at Christmas
We look forward to having you stay with us again the Hotel very soon