“Excellent value and warm welcome in City Centre”
Review of Sligo City Hotel

Sligo City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I recently spent two days at the Sligo City Hotel and was vastly more impressed than I had expected to be. Other reviews on this site hadn't been overly complimentary, but I found the staff, the rooms and the service to be top-notch. Granted, it was a bit noisy (those stupid fire doors bang at all hours of the day & night) and the bathrooms could use updating... but overall I thought it a great value. The staff were especially kind and welcoming - particularly the bar staff, who were certainly overworked by our group! Food was fine - breakfast was not quite late enough in the day!

• Stayed: October 2009

Reviewed 26 July 2009

Staying at Rosses Point but unable to find a traditional Sunday lunch there we headed into Sligo and spotted a sign for a carvery lunch in the Sligo City Hotel. I'm not a great fan of carveries as I find them a bit bland and prefer food with sauces but my husband just has to have his roast dinner on a Sunday so I was delighted that the fayre on offer at the City Hotel ticked both our boxes!

There was only one soup on offer, vegetable, but it was very tasty. For the main course you could choose from traditional turkey crown with cranberry sauce, chicked stuffed with ricotta en croute with cheese sauce, pork escalope with sweet chilli sauce, Mediterranean Style Salmon and Chef's Own Lasagne. I opted for the chicken which was very tasty. My sister said the salmon was great and the lads were very happy with four large slices of turkey! Vegetables were buttered cabbage and carrots, mash and roast potato. I was so full I couldn't even manage a coffee - and the 3 course meal is just 10 Euro which is nothing considering we were paying 4.20 a pint in Rosses Point! The kids were able to have a half portion of the carvery menu as we are lucky enough to have children who prefer real food to processed stuff.

So, if you are seeking good portions of home cooked food at a very reasonable price I would highly recommend this place on a Sunday lunchtime.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I went to college in Sligo, I hadn't been back for a long time so i decided to stop by for 1 night with my girlfriend while i was passing. Sligo is a fantastic town and i had great fun looking around and seeing what had changed and visiting a few of my fav pubs. The only downside to our trip was our hotel. While it had an excellent location the room was filthy, small and extremely dated . We paid 69 euros for the room. I wasn't expecting much but what we got was very disappointing . If you come to Sligo and want to stay somewhere nice don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Booked into hotel Friday evening the 1st May 2009 for two nights. The sixteen space car park was full at 6p.m. and I was offered the disabled space by the receptionist which I declined. I was advised by receptionist to park on the street and move into car park the following morning when space became available.
Had enjoyable night in Sligo. Went to restaurant at 10.40a.m. the following morning for Breakfast. Breakfast was finished and I was declined food. ( Would it have killed staff to suppy two slices and a cup of Coffee ).
Then went to move car to find a parking ticket on same timed at 10.09a.m. Approached The receptionist to check to seek advise about this only to be laughed at (' You parked on the street, What do You expect ')

Disgusted, woith my room mate we checked out day early. Receptionist made comment when I was paying that we had booked two nights but made no enquiry or effort to see why we were leaving early or try to keep us.

So much for customer is always right. Certainly under no circumstances would I recomend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2009

stayed here for 3 nights on world rally weekend, last minute booking for a sudden bereavement, so they kindly squeezed me in, and as a lady travelling alone, the staff were great. bar food tasty. breakfast plentiful.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2008

The hotel is actually quite nice, the rooms are well done and comfortable. The noise level makes the comfortable bed useless. The clock next to the hotel rings every hour, (ten strikes at ten and so on). The bar patrons are loud as is the street noise. Earplugs would be a plus.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank teamfitz
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I booked a two night break through Roomex a Irish based company and was offered a rate of 120 Euros per night. Imagine my delight when I turned up to find out they were offering rates of 89 euros a night and I was not eligible for the discount. Mind you, even at 89 euros the place is still something of a rip off. The room was reasonably well presented. The plumbing in the shower room (no bath for 120 euros????) left a great deal to be desired. Poor water pressure and the most ghastly smell of fetid decay. As for the restaurant...the roast dinner consisted of micro-waved meat and catering pack vegetables. Hideous!

If you are going to Sligo, and it's well worth a visit give the Sligo City Hotel a miss!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple