All reviewsstayed heresligo citycentral locationexcellent locationbars and restaurantsfriendly receptionistfamily roomwould stay againtwo nightsweekend breakhen partyfriday nightbed was very comfortablewould highly recommend this hoteltop classroom was largethe river
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed for one night on the 9th of August having booked the room by visiting the tourist information office in Sligo.Initially I was reluctant to take a room there as I had read the poor reviews on this site. They could not be more wrong! We were given a ground floor room. The bed was very comfortable & everthing about the room & the rest of the hotel was very clean. The staff are very friendly & helpful. Please don't let any of the reveiws on here put you off going to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MIMCheshire
sligoquay, Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2010

On behalf of the management and staff, I would like to thank you most sincerely for your response. Our hotel prides itself in offering superior customer care in a friendly atmosphere and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us

Thanking you
Owen McGee

Reviewed 7 August 2010

Had one night in this hotel,after Leonard Cohen concert.Couldnt have asked for happier or more helpful staff.The hotel is quite small,very homely-only negative was the lack of available carpark,but easy to park on streets.Hope to return for longer stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank caffyd

On behalf of the management and staff of the Sligo City Hotel we would like the thank you most sincerely for taking the time to give us feedback.

Owen McGee

Reviewed 19 July 2010

After reading such negative reviews I arrived expecting the worse on Wed 14th July. Pulled up outside and went in and asked about car parking, was directed to secured car park behind Hotel and got a space there, went and checked in and found the receptionist very polite and efficient. Got to our room on the second floor and the room was spotless and this included the bathroom. We decided to eat in the bar at 7pm and while the menu was limited and it is worth remembering this is not a five star restaurant, the food was not too bad, cost 47 euro for two courses each and two drinks each, reasonably priced. The next morning we went down for breakfast at 9.30am and found the restaurant to be busy, we helped ourselves to juice and waited only 5 minutes to be approached and asked about our choice, we both had a great fry with loads of toast and coffee, more than satisfactory. This Hotel has a great location for anyone who wants to be central as bars and shops are all within easy walking distance. In conclusion we paid 79 euros for B&B for us both and found we had value for money from an Hotel who from the receptionist, bar man and waitress serving food were all more than helpful and friendly.
Our stay was anything but negative and would have no problem in recommending this hotel and using it again myself.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Reception and bar staff are friendly however the rooms are dirty.....there are burnt out lights in the halls, ripped wallpaper, dirty windows and stains everywhere. I was under the impression there was free parking available only to find out it was on the street and only free at night time......would not go back

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
sligoquay, General Manager at Sligo City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after your stay with us. We are addressing the issues you outlined and have just started a refurbishment program which is tackling normal wear and tear in the hotel

Regarding parking, we do have a secure gated car park at the rear of the hotel which is available on a first come first served basis.

We would like to thank you also for your kind comments with regard to our staff who pride themselves on friendly, professional service.

If you do decide to return to the Sligo City Hotel please do not hesitate to contact myself directly

Kind regards
Owen Mc Gee

Reviewed 18 May 2010

We stayed at The City Hotel on saturday night. I am a Sligo native originally and myself and my partner and I were returning to Sligo for a night out with friends and chose the City Hotel mainly for the location but also because of the photos of the accomodation on the website.

I have to say we were absolutely apalled. We stayed in room 306. The list of cleanliness issues we had with the room is a long one but they include the following:

Large spider webs on the wall in the corner nearest the bed - I don't think any chamber maid of cleaning staff member could NOT have noticed these....
When we openend the velux window nearest the river there fell in a big clump of dirt - like the window had not been cleaned in years. The handle and frame on the inside was covered in dirt.
The fabric pelmet over the window was absolutely filthy - years of mould, damp, dust, and cobwebs.
The toilet bowl and sink in the bathroom was not cleaned.

To be asked to pay €99 for that room is an absolute joke. We travel round the country a good bit and honestly - in all my years I have NEVER stayed in a hotel room that was worse value. The room we got was more like a no-star B&B, not the hotel they have advertised and photographed on their website.

When we went down to breakfast in the morning we could not find a clean table - every single table in the breakfast area was uncleared. We cleared a table ourselves and sat down but the table itself was filthy. There was no juice or milk, the dishes holding the cereals were dirty, and the female staff member who we asked to get milk and juice was rather offhand. When I asked for tea and toast she said it ''would be a while as they were very busy''. Eventually she brought us out a pot of tepid tea which was undrinkable, and a bowl with 4 slices of cold white toast. It took me a few minutes to get the attention of a staff memeber - this time male - and when we asked him for brown toast as we don't eat white - it was another 10 minutes before he brought out brown soda bread!! that had been toasted!! - and was inedible!!!

In no way was the breakfast worth what we paid for it - €6.50 for a bowl of cereal and some grapefruit and a pot of yoghurt?????? Not even in the height of the economic boom in a guest house in DUBLIN would you pay that much - it was an absolute disgrace.

I personally am ashamed at the service we received. In the current economic climate they should seriously be ashamed of the prices they are charging. Sligo needs a boost - the City Hotel are providing a disappointing and costly experience.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback with regard to your stay with us. We were extremely concerned at your comments and have taken them very seriously.

As I have recently taken over the management of the hotel I really appreciate your review and I am addressing each of the issues you have raised separately.

I’m aware that one of our duty managers has been in contact with you but please contact myself directly when you do decide to return.

Kind regards