“Some things could be better but I enjoyed it regardless” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Rose of Innisfree Tour Boat

The Rose of Innisfree Tour Boat
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rose of Innisfree Tourboat operates on the picturesque Lough Gill, in counties Sligo & Leitrim, Ireland. Experience some of the most spectacular scenery, spoken so fondly of by the poet W.B.Yeats, all from the comfort of this 72 seating magnificent vessel. Commentary on board. Full bar facilities available. Tea, Coffee & home baking a speciality.Embarking point is from Parke's Castle. Approximately 7 miles from Sligo town on the R286 Dromahair road. Shuttle service available on request.Also available for private hire. Cruise & Dine... Enjoy a delicious three course meal whilst enjoying the breathtaking surroundings. Full menus available on request.
Belfast, United Kingdom
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“Some things could be better but I enjoyed it regardless”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

First let me say I really enjoyed my hour aboard the boat. The owner/captain was very friendly and welcoming, though he questioned if there was enough to do the tour. There was , but we deliberatley picked the 12.30 trip as some of the others said dependant on numbers, so I figured this one went even if numbers were below 4. Anyway there was about 10 people in total. The sail was smooth and pleasant and the scenery beautiful. I enjoyed the poetry and music and history behind the different parts of the lough. The commentary was read live by the captain, though it can be hard to hear outside. Someone has commented that he sounded creepy - I couldn't disagree more. He has a deep voice and sounds almost musical when reading poetry - a real jack-a-nory story telling voice. The trip was very relaxing. The Captain pointed out that we could buy drinks and snacks. We couldn't work out who off though as the girl who worked on the boat was sitting at the entrance door ignoring everyone and playing on her phone so I had to go and ask if she was the person to ask for tea and coffee. The bar remained unmanned therefore, the glasses sitting dirty in the sink, and snacks available were ginger nuts. Now I did not find this a big deal as I am easily pleased but I could imagine the stink some fussier complainers could cause. Price wise, 15 maybe is a little steep and 10 or 12 might be mor realistic. Had the service on board been better I may not be saying that, but this only relates to the sale of drinks and snacks.

2 Thank JayBeck

Ontario
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have to agree with the reviewer who said it was difficult to figure out where you were supposed to be looking during the tour. I hadn't realized that the guide was actually a recording, but I do feel I missed out on seeing the 'Lake Isle of Innisfree'. I was also very disappointed that instead of reading Yeats' classic poem by the same title, another poem was read. Better than the poetry readings - my son described the speaker's voice as "creepy" - were the poems turned into songs accompanied by music.

When we went out, the weather was horrid, which didn't help our experience. But you can't control the rain, and can pretty much count on drizzle in Ireland...

Would have liked a little longer ride for the price.

1 Thank writeonOntario
Chichester, United Kingdom
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Innisfree”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

This is a magnificent way to see the Lough Gill and Innisfree, the trip includes an excellent commentary that explains the history of the lake and its inhabitants. Also, it is great to hear the poetry of W B Yeats and even Thomas More being read aloud. The top deck is uncovered so bringing a full set of wet gear is worth it as you can have this deck to yourself and the captain if it rains and as this is Leitrim and Slgo it certainly can rain! I suppose the only change I would like is less of the music and more of the poetry of Yeats but others on the trip liked the music.

Oldcastle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Could be so much better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

The scenery viewed on this trip was breathtaking and the facilities on the craft were good but the overall experience was disappointing. Initially I felt the price for this trip seemed a little high but I decided to reserve judgement until I had experienced what the trip had to offer. While the craft is wheelchair accessible the pathway leading to the point of embarkation is very rough and difficult to traverse in a wheelchair. Once on the access was fine and the view was equally good from the upper or lower decks of the craft. during the trip the "tour guide" was a recording which made it difficult to ask questions or get clarification on points of interest which were mentioned. It was difficult to work out a good deal of the time where exactly you were supposed to be looking and without a live guide to point you in the right direction, you couldn't help feeling that you were missing out on many of the sights. At times I was inclined to wonder if I was just unable to see what was being referred to, or if I was looking in the wrong place or if in fact the actual progress of the tour and the recording were not in synch. Putting a load of people on a boat and sailing them around a lake with just a recording to guide them was not in my opinion worth the price charged and seriously detracted from the whole experience.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Liam L
AnnetteNugent, Public Relations Manager at The Rose of Innisfree Tour Boat, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Hello Liam

Disappointed to hear you had an unusually unpleasant experience on board the Rose of Innisfree Tourboat.

The trip commentary is always conducted live by the captain, George. A recording is only used if George is unable to take the tour or if on the rare occasion he has an illness and is unable to speak. Unfortunately it must have been one of these rare occasions that you took the trip.

The cabin manageress, Tina or second mate, Rebecca is normally on hand in the cabin willing to answer any questions and clarify anything in relation to the commentary. It was pointed out to us only recently, that the ability to provide individual attention to each passenger was a great trip highlight.

We will also certainly take on board your comments regarding the smoothness of the pathway to the boat. It is constructed in stone as decking can get very slippery when wet and prove hazardous to the general passenger.

We have had lots of feedback on the pricing and the whole experience. The resounding results are that the price at €15 per adult, is great value for money and well worth the whole experience.

We don't like to hear of unpleasant experiences aboard our boat, and would love to extend an invitation for you and a friend to re-live the experience, and hopefully you will take away a more positive outlook. Please email me your details and we will be in touch. info@roseofinnisfree.com

Warmest Regards
The Management of the Rose of Innisfree Tourboat
Strandhill, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Enjoyable family trip with fabulous perspectives of sligo countryside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

We had a group of 17 (ages 4-80) for what was an enjoyable way to spend an hour. It's a straight forward boat trip with narrator/driver. Nothing spectacular other than the scenery, but very laid back and really we got what we expected except for the photo opportunity with the kids driving the boat which was a real highlight. In terms of marketing, still no prices on website and I think a family ticket should be an option for those with young kids in smaller groups as e50 is a lot for a family of 5 for an hour.

Visited July 2013
Hello TravellingP

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable experience on the Rose of Innisfree Tourboat.
A new website is currently in production including fares and is due to go live shortly.
We have taken on board your comments regarding a family ticket. It is always good to get feedback. For a family of 5, it normally is €45 (one child goes FREE) This can depend on the age of the children also.

Normal Fare: Adults: €15 / Students/OAPs: €13 / Children €7.50

Do let us know if you feel there was a discrepancy regarding fares. email info@roseofinnisfree.com, stating the date you travelled and the issue. Only too happy to help and put right :)

Warmest Regards