“Slightly run down”
Review of The Glasshouse

The Glasshouse
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Looks lovely on the website and brochure however this hotel is very tired and needs an update.
The carpets in the room we stayed in was stained and appeared to be well worn.
We were staying as part of a weekend break with another couple and decided to eat in the bar area rather than venturing outside. - I had a starter of chicken wings, which took about 35 minutes to arrive. When they did they were warm on the outside but several of them were still frozen in the centre. When the server asked us if everything was ok with the starters and I informed him of the frozen chicken he asked if I would like some more! I refused as I had waited long enough for them. I would describe the food service as fast food standard, served slowly. - The Hotel is in a lovely location however and is central to the towns attractions. Don't expect 4 star, I would say that this rates a 2 to 3 star only.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasshouse_GM, General Manager at The Glasshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2011

Dear bilbomc

Thank you for taking the time to review the Glasshouse Hotel following your recent stay with us here in Sligo.

I was disappointed to note that you experienced problems during your recent visit, and would like to apologise for our shortcomings. I myself have just taken over as General Manager and would like to assure you that the areas highlighted are being addressed. We have just started a process of reviewing plans for refurbishing various areas of the Hotel; a process we feel is vital to ensure the Hotel remains fresh. I have also spoken with our Head Chef regarding the problem encountered in the Café Bar in an effort to ensure such scenarios never reoccur again in the future.

Brian O’Farrell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,742)

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Beautiful Hotel, I love the design and the interior, really funky, room was big, spotless and again wonderfully decorated, Our room looked over the Garavouge River and the bridge. We didnt eat from the restaurant but heard from other guests that it was nice also. Only real gripe I have is the prices in the bar, pretty extortionate, I found the drink prices to be the same as Dublin was a few years ago, even it has come down now, so I think somewhere in the North West should def be cheaper than Dublin, Other than that everything was perfect including the free parking! Good job!

Room Tip: Book online direct from the Glasshouse website, best for value
1  Thank herbie_gump84

Dear herbie_gump84

Thank you for taking the time to review the Glasshouse Hotel following your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay and indeed we look forward to seeing you back with us again soon. We regularly review pricing on beverage items in an effort to offer the best value to our guests, and indeed the pricing here is considerably cheaper that in Dublin at the present.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on gm@theglasshouse.ie.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

I'm just back after staying here for the weekend (22-23 July 2011), and is the second time I've stayed in this hotel . I paid nearly 200e for both nights, and for that price I was expecting near perfection in both the room and service provided. I was quite disappointed to say the least. The room was definitely not up to a 4 star standard, let alone 3 star. The bedroom carpet was stinking, covered in stains which obviously hadn't been cleaned properly with carpet shampoo. The round cushion used to decorate the bed was also stained, and didn't look clean. This was put on my pillow, which to me wasn't very hygienic. The bathroom sink had a large crack, and the shaver point also didn't work. I reported this to the girl at reception. She said she would send someone to fix it, but needless to say nothing happened. I have photographic evidence of the above. I was so looking forward to staying in this hotel but it was such a let down.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Muzicdude

I was disappointed to note that you experienced problems during your recent visit; however would like to thank you for providing such in-depth feedback. Feedback such as you have provided will assist us in reviewing where we should make changes or adapt going forward. I myself have just taken over as General Manager and would like to apologise for our shortcomings and assure you that the areas highlighted are being addressed. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with you in further detail, and may be contacted directly on gm@theglasshouse.ie.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

So disappointed...
just back from what we thought would be a relaxing night away but turned out to be a grubby hotel...
We were welcomed by lovely receptionist, the hotel and location we were impressed with.... when we got to our room (booked a suite) the room was v warm, and we had ordered fruit on arrival, when we went to eat it even though it was covered, we noticed it was v warm & had started to decay, it must have been left in the room quiet a while...

We then noticed the dirt in the room, the corners of the carpet dusty, the bathroom floor behind the door was full dust and "other peoples hair" horrid... the wardrobes were also full dust (i left a note in it for the cleaners to "CLEAN ME PLEASE"so if a customer gets it means they didnt even notice the note... we then realised the air con was blowing out HOT air instead of cold with the weather being so nice & warm this weekend, the room which is full of glass we needed the room to cool down.
We informed reception and they said they would get someone up to check it out, we left windows open to keep room cool, on return we were horrified that the windows were closed and the air con was turned up to full blast on HOT AIR, which was blowing out for about 4 hours....the room was easy 30degrees and you could barely breath in it, we contacted reception, but with the hotel booked up they could not move us to a different room so the porter (nice guy) brought up 4 fans and massive air con unit to try cool the room, and sent us down to bar for a drink until the room cooled down... By the time we got to bed 2-30 we were wrecked but could not sleep with the heat or the noise of the fans...we left the next morning and in all fairness they did discount the room rate but we were shattered and it ruined the weekend with no sleep... , the hotel is only 5yrs old yet looks so much more dated "Clean Up the HOTEL" guys, on the plus side the Hotel is a great location, beside the river it really is a lovely site. The Staff are v friendly and helpful... but if you want to sleep dont book into the SUITE other posts on trip advisor seem to have have problems with the heat/cold of the air con in these room...I would ask the manager to get it sorted... I would not recommend the hotel for relaxing weekend but great if you want a p.up with mates stag or hen..

Room Tip: Dont book the suit, problem with air con unit.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasshouse_GM, General Manager at The Glasshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Dear DaFairy

We were delighted by your kind comments on the service and assistance provided by the staff during your stay at the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the problems encountered in your room with the drop in standards and the air-con unit. Our engineers have been reviewing the air con system and indeed when it was checked at the time, they would have closed the windows as leaving them open would render the system ineffective.

I recently took over as General Manager at the hotel and we have been reviewing and implementing various procedures and processes in order to improve the standard of product and service we deliver on a daily basis.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future and indeed should you wish to provide further details of your stay, I may be contacted directly on gm@theglasshouse.ie.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

my wife and i arrived late to a lovely welcome, receptionist was charming and manager (sean i think ) chatted and was very welcoming .
the room was spotless well designed and very funky . we went to the bar which gave us a chance to look around the hotel, very clean , modern , impressive , friendly staff . next day the receptionist spent about ten minutes chatting with us about places to visit , we went to lisadell house , great choice.
my wife and i booked an evening meal whilst staying here , it was lovely , definately 5 star, restaurant was lovely , bright and airy.
overall i could not fault the glasshouse , friendly , clean, funky hotel with fantastic staff, unbeatable value , pity more hotels cant get up to their high standards .
many thanks to manager sean ? and his great staff .

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear courtney347

Thank you for taking the time to review the Glasshouse Hotel following your stay with us.

We are delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay and indeed we look forward to seeing you back with us again soon. I have passed you kind comments onto the team for their appreciation also. Sligo is indeed a vibrant location with loads to offer to everyone from great food, craic and loads of varying activities.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on gm@theglasshouse.ie if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Stayed here 2 nights, once at the start of our holiday and again at the end of the hoilday. Both times we had a great time, very friendly staff recomemend a great fish restaurant and bars with live music. We will return here again. Could nt fault this hotel at all. We did make breakfast which was fresh and lots of choices.

• Stayed: July 2011

Dear Bunessan

We are delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay and indeed we look forward to seeing you back with us again soon. I have passed you kind comments onto the rest of the team for their appreciation also.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

just back from staying 3 nights at the Glasshouse Sligo - very good hotel in a great location
food was very enjoyable - I have to say the Staff were very efficient and polite at all times - very willing to help with any queries.
We cannot wait to go back again.

Dear mairebeth