The Glasshouse
Riverside Hotel(Sligo)(Great Value!)
US$226
Hotwire.com
Sligo City Hotel(Sligo)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$184
  • Breakfast included
US$97
  • Restaurant
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,786 results
All reviewsthe riverunderground parkingview bardeluxe roomper dayglass housecentral locationmodern hotelcentre of townstayed for one nightbar areamain coursehen partybars and restaurantssaturday nightlovely viewself service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My friends and I stayed at the Glasshouse in Sligo in May 2011 and loved it. It was in a perfect location to explore the town and so conveniently close to shopping and lots of dining options. My room was overlooking the river and had an excellent view. The hotel staff was very accomodating and we really didn't have any problems at all. The contmeporary decor was a bit funky in some areas but clean and neat. Very good breakfast too with lots of options.
We were there for a week long horseback riding trip at the McGarry Riding Center. Excellent place also. Declan runs a very good operation there. I would recommend this hotel and city in general for anyone who wants a good Irish experience on the northern coast. The Garavogue Pub (right on the river) is excellent for dinner and wk. end entertainment and within a short walk from the hotel. There is a good pharmacy and also, a good shopping center/grocery store is close to walk to for almost anything you need. Be prepared for rain though, and enjoy all the green!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river and right on the front of the hotel (over the road).
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Glasshouse_GM, General Manager at The Glasshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Dear Gypson,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Glasshouse Hotel following your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay and indeed we look forward to seeing you back with us again soon. I have passed you kind comments onto the rest of the team for their appreciation also.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on gm@theglasshouse.ie.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is an interestingly designed hotel, as the name implies it is largely glass oriented.............therein lies a major design flaw.
There is NO air conditioning in the bedrooms (even though their literature claims there is) and on a hot day the rooms become insufferable.

We changed rooms on the first day, up to the 6th & top floor........................excellent we thought, no the windows there didn't open at all. After a fairly poor night's sleep we spoke to reception, the Head Receptionist was surprised we had been put in Room 601.............as it is the worst room in the hotel & only let out at a reduced rate if other rooms are unavailable.

We were then transferred to a room on the second floor which was much better than the previous two, however I think it too would be very uncomfortable on an extremely hot day.

The staff were good, very polite & helpful. There is free underground parking which is always helpful.

If you enjoy good food, the Tra Ban restaurant in Strandhill is the place to go, about 5 miles from the hotel it is top quality cuisine, not cheap but still good value.

All in all the hotel was great for location, right in the middle of Sligo next to the river & shops. It is also handy for exploring the north West of Ireland.....................Breakfast is okay, but lacked a little personal touch as it was a hot buffet & self service so food was sitting there for quite some time, we like ours to be freshly cooked.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, but not during a heatwave!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Glasshouse_GM, General Manager at The Glasshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2011

Dear goforit333

Thank you for taking the time to review the Glasshouse Hotel following your recent stay with us here in Sligo.

I was disappointed to note that you experienced problems during your recent visit, and would like to apologise for our shortcomings. Indeed we have got air-conditioning in a number of rooms of the Hotel and would like to roll this out fully throughout the hotel in the future. I myself have just taken over as General Manager and would like to assure you that the areas highlighted are being addressed. Your comments on the team are much appreciated and I will ensure that this is passed on for their appreciation also.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with you in further detail, and may be contacted directly on gm@theglasshouse.ie.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Myself and my boyfriend go here every january. Although its very quiet in the town when we do go, its such a lovely spot to visit and spend time together.
The first time we went we couldnt sleep as people were so loud out on our floor. We called reception but that didnt help. The manager gave us a free night when we explained. We didnt want to complain, we just wanted to bring it to their attention that more people on the floor might have had a bad nights sleep. To be expected sometimes too if people are on stags etc. However, from that free night we now visit every january.
No problems since, great staff, great food. Tricky car park to find with 1 way streets but grand once you get used to it!

• Stayed: January 2011

Dear EmmaSynnott

We are delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay and indeed we look forward to seeing you back with us again soon. The directional signage to the Hotel is something that we are currently reviewing with Sligo Council in an effort to ensure all guests locate us without delay.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Looks lovely on the website and brochure however this hotel is very tired and needs an update.
The carpets in the room we stayed in was stained and appeared to be well worn.
We were staying as part of a weekend break with another couple and decided to eat in the bar area rather than venturing outside. - I had a starter of chicken wings, which took about 35 minutes to arrive. When they did they were warm on the outside but several of them were still frozen in the centre. When the server asked us if everything was ok with the starters and I informed him of the frozen chicken he asked if I would like some more! I refused as I had waited long enough for them. I would describe the food service as fast food standard, served slowly. - The Hotel is in a lovely location however and is central to the towns attractions. Don't expect 4 star, I would say that this rates a 2 to 3 star only.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear bilbomc

I was disappointed to note that you experienced problems during your recent visit, and would like to apologise for our shortcomings. I myself have just taken over as General Manager and would like to assure you that the areas highlighted are being addressed. We have just started a process of reviewing plans for refurbishing various areas of the Hotel; a process we feel is vital to ensure the Hotel remains fresh. I have also spoken with our Head Chef regarding the problem encountered in the Café Bar in an effort to ensure such scenarios never reoccur again in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Beautiful Hotel, I love the design and the interior, really funky, room was big, spotless and again wonderfully decorated, Our room looked over the Garavouge River and the bridge. We didnt eat from the restaurant but heard from other guests that it was nice also. Only real gripe I have is the prices in the bar, pretty extortionate, I found the drink prices to be the same as Dublin was a few years ago, even it has come down now, so I think somewhere in the North West should def be cheaper than Dublin, Other than that everything was perfect including the free parking! Good job!

Room Tip: Book online direct from the Glasshouse website, best for value
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank herbie_gump84

Dear herbie_gump84

We are delighted to note that you had such an enjoyable stay and indeed we look forward to seeing you back with us again soon. We regularly review pricing on beverage items in an effort to offer the best value to our guests, and indeed the pricing here is considerably cheaper that in Dublin at the present.