“fine hotel”

The Glasshouse
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
“fine hotel”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I spent 2 days in the glasshouse hotel last week. The hotelo is situated right in the centre of Sligo right beside the restaurants and bars. We found it most enjoyable the breakfaswts were good and the staff were very nice. The room decor takes a bit of time to get used to. I will go back to this hotel and have no difficulty in recommending it

Room Tip: Balconies are nice
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank expert2006
Glasshouse_GM, Public Relations Manager at The Glasshouse, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Expert2006

Thank you for your recent review of The Glasshouse, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will come back and visit us again soon.

Regards
Catherine Cronin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Polish first
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very nice hotel (with air conditioning!) in the middle of downtown Sligo. Free parking (albeit tight squeeze) was an extra nice touch. We had a room with a view of the water, the beds were very comfortable and overall a very quiet and peaceful hotel. Service was excellent and everyone made me feel comfortable. We were able to walk to all the pubs, restaurants and along the water.

The only drawback was a lunch in the restaurant hotel was a bit disappointing. Giving the benefit of the doubt, it did rain that day and it seemed they were very busy, so it may have affected the food quality and service.

Overall a nice hotel and I would definitetly return.

Room Tip: View of the river was very nice!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Glasshouse_GM, Director of Sales at The Glasshouse, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Jimmy

Thank you for your recent review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, our location is exceptional, we are very lucky. It is disappointing to hear that did not enjoy lunch with us, we have a great Chef and we work very hard at delivering good food and service and it seems that on this occasion, we failed to do this. I hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves on another visit to The Glasshouse.

Regards
Catherine Cronin
caragh, Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Bus drivers experience.
On arrival receptionist Andrea was great , quickly and friendly arranged . The room are good with everything you need , iron fan air con TV tea coffee armchair to relax . The rooms are nice clean bright and trendy and a comfy bed
Dinner x2 lovely breakfast x 2 spot on .
The hotel in is a nice place all shops nearby. Pubs look good but sorry didn't try, there's a outside coffee bar set up across the road from the hotel , nice .
Dry cleaning service is efficient
Overall the hotel is great .
Richard , Monday , Tuesday in July

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a balcony , beautiful views , and the wildlife .
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dublin
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was so excited to stay in the Glasshouse recently as I had read such good reviews.

Unfortunately it did not translate to my weekend stay. The hotel is decorated garishly. I think it is some attempt to be stylish and modern a bit like the G Hotel, but it ends up looking trashy and painfully dated. The room itself was fine, but was certainly nothing spectacular. Soap and shampoo from a push-pump bottle is really not four star standard. The breakfast in the mornings was ok. The staff mostly seemed to be very untrained however and lacking in basic customer service and common sense. They were not friendly (with the exception of some bar staff) and not professional. I also did not appreciate the parking charge of 3 euro for guests, which you were required to pay each time you took your car out from the car park.

When checking out I also informed the receptionist that someone had been smoking in the room next to ours, and the smell was very off-putting. She replied "Oh". I was so shocked that she didn't offer an apology, or offer to look into it in any way. She merely said "oh", and acted disinterested. I was really annoyed about it so I actually phoned the hotel the following day to inform the manager. The manager said she would look into it, but didn't really apologise and did not take my number or follow up on it in any way. She asked why I didn't report it to staff sooner, and said that no one else had reported smoking to the reservations manager. The way she said this almost seemed accusatory. I found the whole situation dealt with very unprofessionally.

I had elected to give the hotel the chance to redeem themselves by calling them instead of leaving a negative review first, but I was very disappointed with the response I was given. Even from looking at their responses to reviews left on tripadvisor you can see that they couldn't care less about their faults and have no intention of rectifying them. I would not advise anyone to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel! There actually was a beautiful restaurant a short walk away called Eala Bhan...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
17 Thank SmashedPumpkinx
Bethel, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Easy to get to off the N4... has underground parking for 3 Euros....the front desk and Andrea was very helpful...we walked in and got a lovely room facing the river...breakfast included for 99Euros... many bars and restaurants very close by.... High def TV, coffee maker, and we were happy!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Overall we were disappointed with the Glasshouse. First, on arrival the reception area does not feel like a hotel whatsoever - rather it feels like you are at an information desk or some sort of customer service area. It's difficult to describe, but it certainly doesn't have the look or feel of a four star hotel when you walk in off the street.

The decor throughout the hotel is already quite dated and tired. In our room, the air con was a disaster - switching from freezing cold to roasting hot every couple of hours. This made for a bad night's sleep. They also don't provide any small bottles of toiletries in the bathroom - instead there is a large bottle of soap attached to the wall of the bath and also beside the sink - this is something I expect in a budget hotel chain, not the Glasshouse. But perhaps my biggest complaint is the shower in our room. There was so little water pressure that it was actually an effort to get wet! Plus the shower screen that runs along the top of the bath tub was fitted in such a way that there was a gap of about two centimetres between the tub and the glass - as a result, a lot of the water just ran out and onto the floor tiles below (several of which, by the way, were cracked and/or loose under foot).

On the whole, a disappointing stay. I had expected more from this hotel as I had heard some good things from other people who had stayed there. But we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jasers
Glasshouse_GM, Front Office Manager at The Glasshouse, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Jasers,

Thank you for your valued feedback. We appreciate comments such as yours as it helps us to look at how we can improve.

Please contact us directly should you wish to discuss your stay with management.

We hope that you will return to The Glasshouse in the future!

Kindest regards,

The Glasshouse Team
Foxford, Ireland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Location ideal. Food yum. Staff ok, bit unprofessional at times. Bathrooms in room could have been cleaner. Hairs in bath, no tissues in box ,floor tiles needed washing, torn nets in bedroom let it down.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MeliBay
Dear MeliBay,

Thank you for your valued feedback.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the food and location.

We are sorry to hear you had some issues with your room, we hope this would not deter you from returning to The Glasshouse.

Kindest regards,