“dirty, unhelpful and overpriced”
Review of The Glasshouse

The Glasshouse
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Sligo
Reviewed 26 July 2007

I don't think I have ever stayed in a worse establishment, this stay was booked for me by my company. I would NEVER stay here again, the staff were most unhelpful and the standards were to put it mildly; low. The Glasshouse seems to be one of those hotels who thinks that they are so modern that they do not need to treat their customers well, I would NEVER stay there again and am actively trying to disuade others from doing so, if you want an enjoyable holiday where the facilaties are good and the hotel is clean, I would certainly not reccommend the glasshouse

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank sees7stop
Write a ReviewReviews (1,741)

Reviewed 16 July 2007

Stayed with my husband for 2 nights at The Glasshouse - it was his 40th birthday. I had read all the reviews I could get my hands on and was concerned as to what we would find!
I can honestly say that our stay was brilliant - the reception staff were really helpful - they upgraded us for the 2nd night - giving us a lovely room at the front of the hotel.
The rooms are large - by most standards - the colour scheme really different and the location of the hotel spot on for exploring Sligo on foot.
All of the staff we encountered from reception - bar staff and
waiting staff - including room service were polite - freindly and
helpful - I dont know why anyone would complain about this hotel.
I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2007

Myself and a friend stayed at the Glasshouse for 3 nights. Thoroughly enjoyable stay. Slight glitch with the room on arrival but extremely well dealt with by a most friendly and efficient receptionist and we were moved to a beautiful room. Very clean, bottles of mineral water each day and plentiful toiletries in the room. Lovely comfortable beds and great view of the town and river. Restaurant meal was delicious on the night we ate in and again breakfast was a feast with every option available which would surely please everyone. No queues for breakfast and tables freely available. Lively bar in the evening and efficient bar staff meant no hanging around at the bar waiting for drinks. Free carparking for residents in multi storey and excellent location made for a great stay and we would definitely be back and have recommended this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank penelope99
Reviewed 14 June 2007

The Glasshouse is a retro 1970's style hotel. It looks great, but unfortunately this is all it has to recommend it. I spent one night there in May 2007 and will never go back. I did not manage to sleep at all as there was a party going on the room next door and in the hallway outside my bedroom which involved men running up and down the corridors shouting and swearing. Several pleading calls to staff were made before any effort on their part was made to deal with this. It is really not acceptable to stay in a hotel and not feel safe.
Staff next morning were not in the least apologetic until they were informed that I know the owner. My money was immediately refunded.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank Poppy66
ManagementTeam71, Management at The Glasshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2007

We are very disappointed that this member found their stay with us to be unsatisfactory. I have investigated their complaints at length and have tried to contact this particular guest on numerous occasions to make amends. On the night in question, a stag party staying in the hotel were acting in an unacceptable manner with no regard to our staff or their fellow residents. We have since implemented a strict policy curtailing groups of this nature.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak directly with the TripAdvisor Member and can be contacted at roisinb@theglasshouse.ie or on (071) 9194300.

Reviewed 11 June 2007

I really cannot begin to tell you how bad this place is, so I wont try.

I stayed here a few months ago, and just got around to reading the reviews. I completely agree with the negative reviews, although some parts were ok. The room was nice, they gave us a suite as they were quiet, but the noise from the river stopped me sleeping, its loud. No breakfast arrived, called the desk, girl fannied around before even asking what we had ordered, oh look, I could go on all night with this, and the manager will write her glowing review herself to call all us trip advisor members liars, so all I can say is, book somewhere else, somewhere nicer, friendlier, warmer, less tacky, with nicer managers,who know how to boil an egg!

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank GalwayLass1974
ManagementTeam71, Management at The Glasshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2007

We, at The Glasshouse, would like to outline that contrary to this member’s accusations, we do not under any circumstances post false reviews and our managerial responses always comply with the stringent Trip Advisor Management Response Guidelines before being posted.

Having taken into account the personal nature of their comments, it appears to us that this member may have a personal grievance with our management. If this is the case then I, Roisin Buckley, General Manager, would welcome the opportunity to resolve this issue and can be contacted directly at roisinb@theglasshouse.ie or on (071) 9194300.

We would also like to point out the following: The sound of the river is audible from some rooms under certain circumstances eg Heavy Rain. Unfortunately for this member this is not something we can control. However we would like to point out that this sound, when audible, is normally met with approval and appreciated by our guests.

Reviewed 19 May 2007

Stayed here for three nights as we thought it would be a funky experience....I could write a book about this hotel and its bad management//standards but nobody would believe it without first trying it firsthand. It is a cheap and tacky hotel pretending to be something it is not....yet charging very high prices for the experience. We also stayed in the "G" hotel in Galway which could be described as loud and brash designed by Philip Treacy but it exudes class and has professionally trained staff. The Glasshouse lacks quality, finesse,and good management.
We were checked in by an offhand receptionist lacking in basic reception skills even though she was a mature woman who should know better.
Charged up front on arrival ???? we've never had this experience before in any hotel we've stayed in.
Dirty/stained carpets
Staff ignored DO NOT DISTURB notice on bedroom door, knocked at 8.50am requesting to service our room
Inedible room service breakfast, was still charged for its delivery even when we complained about the lack of its lack of quality
Meals in restaurant were okay but we sat on the most uncomfortable chairs we have ever experienced, long queue for breakfast and finding a clean table to sit at meant a long wait as the staff were not clearing tables and re-setting them. The only positive experience we had was watching the stately swans glide past our balcony.

Stayed: May 2007
7  Thank Micam
ManagementTeam71, Management at The Glasshouse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2007

We, at the Glasshouse, would like to express our disappointment for failing to reach this Trip Advisor Member’s expectations during their stay with us. Having reviewed their comments in detail we would like to outline the following.

Firstly while we realise our unique décor may not suit everyone’s tastes, we would like to point out that it has received tremendous feedback since we opened. In fact it has featured very positively in numerous fashion and interior design magazines including Homes & Interiors, House & Home and Social & Personal to name but a few.

The Glasshouse has also been awarded four stars by the AA recently. This is based on our service, customer care and attention to detail. Our reception team, as are all of our Staff, are trained to a very high standard and while we do indeed take payment of accommodation on arrival, this is actually done to help offer a more efficient check out process for our Guests and is normally met with approval. We believe our rates are competitively priced and provide our guests with value for money.

Finally our restaurant, The Kitchen has been awarded a Rosette from the AA, this accomplishment is based on the excellent standards in food and service.

We sincerely hope that this information will encourage this member to reassess their opinion of our hotel. We would also like to take this opportunity to thank this member for taking the time to provide our establishment with their feedback. It is information like this that enables us to constantly improve on our product.

Reviewed 4 May 2007

This is Sligo’s newest hotel, only recently opened. It was originally to be operated by the Ramada Group, but they pulled out last minute for reasons “unknown”. I’ve stayed in the Glass House twice (3 nights in total) on business. I’ve mainly used the facilities for sleeping and eating.

High points:

-I have stayed in a suite on both occasions and we found this to be very comfortable. Nice big bed with comfortable feather duvet, pillows etc. The suite had beautiful panoramic views of the city and the river.
-The staff are friendly and helpful – though I have to agree that I have come across “smoother” management.
-The food in the restaurant was very good. For breakfast we only had cereal, but what was on offer seemed to be of good quality and there was a good variety available.
-Views from the restaurant are lovely (when the tide is in).
-Nice trendy bar.
-Hotel is very centrally located, only a short walk to the main thoroughfare.
-New hotel, so everything is new and modern!
-Underground parking provided (however, exit barriers have not been working being constantly up on both occasions so security may be an issue for some).

Low points:

-When we booked in initially we were given a room which was really small and which had no A/C. I was shocked by this given the fact that it was a new hotel, having thought that all rooms would be equipped with something as basic as A/C. We were advised at reception that only 21 rooms are equipped with A/C. We asked to be moved and they did so immediately ….into a suite!
-The décor – to say the least it’s a bit on the loud side. Lots of oranges, lime greens and stripes! Not to everyone’s taste perhaps. Watch out if you have had a couple of drinks as the stripy carpets can make you a little on the dizzy side.
-On the first visit the room was equipped with biscuits to have with your tea and bottled mineral water – nice touches. However, on the second visit these were not supplied. This is only a small issue, but none the less has an impact on confidence for future expectations of consistency.
-The bathroom was very basically kitted out. Shower gel and hand wash - that was it. I personally felt that this was perhaps a little sparse, especially if you were traveling light as would be expected when on business.
-TV channels weren’t great. Very few options available and reception on what was available was not good.
-Furniture – a strange one, the furniture in the restaurant was extremely uncomfortable! The chairs were lovely to look at, but terrible to sit on as they had a curved back. We asked to be moved to a booth, but actually had to move back as the booths were really small, so much so that our knees were knocking under the table! Sometimes you get the feeling that the hotel is trying to be trendy without being realistic.
-There’s no minibar in the room. They supply you with an ice bucket – but I could see no ice machines.

All in all, it’s not a bad hotel (though I have stayed in better) and I enjoyed both my visits. Given that it is a new hotel - my main gripe is that it could be better with a little more effort and attention to detail. These issues may rectify themselves with a little more time and experience. Probably one of the better hotels in Sligo.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business