“Terrible food - often confused with Dublin pub of same name” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Matt the Thrasher

Matt the Thrasher
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Terrible food - often confused with Dublin pub of same name”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Almost all the positive reviews of this place have confused it with another place of the same name in Dublin. This place is rubbish - we drove 30 miles out of our way because my partner remembered nice meals there as a kid. It bills itself as a gastro pub but has no veggie option on the menu - they gave me a plate of boiled veg and charged me 15 euros. Partner got a burger and chips - very basic and not anything you would not get in any crappy pub. Left in a bad mood and had to eat properly at home.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank JohnZYZ

Limerick, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“" Avoid at all costs"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

So disappointed that I didn't view the comments of this pub/restaurant before I actually decided to dine here as it was not a good experience. One starter, two mains and a glass of wine totaling €40.80 - Rip off!! Wouldn't mind so much if food was good but not the case. Chowder tasted like some form of stew. Before I ordered the fish pie I asked the waitress what fish did it contain - was told salmon, cod and hake. Not a morsel of salmon to be seen - not sure exactly what it contained - some pieces (not chunks) of white fish covered with piped potato. It came with chips which I am in no doubt were frozen chips. To top it all a glass of wine (plonk) €6.95. I suppose I should be grateful reading the rest of the reviews here that I didn't have the pleasure of meeting the owner!!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Holly186621
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Stopped there for lunch. Worst toasted sandwich I've ever seen. How they could charge €5.95 is unbelieveable. Kids got Goujons and chips that were way overlooked. In fairness, the chowder wasn't bad but we won't be back. Very bad value.

Visited August 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Rip off.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Coming from dublin, stopped off at matt the thrashers, I got a prawn salad as a main course, absolutely appauled about six prawns on the plate, lettuce and tomato, so much for prawn salad, cost €19.99 the biggest rip off ever. My husband got cod and chips that cost €16.95. Chips were not even fresh, they were taken from a freezer. You would have bought this in any chipper for approx €6.00 . I was absolutely discussed, I have advised all my friends and work collegues never to eat there. I will tell you we will never again set foot in there.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Gurtnegara
Cork City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Very Disappointing! Never Again..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

Having been here in past and thought it was just ok, we decided to give this place another look as we were in the area.
Old themed bar with lots of antique items scattered around.

We both order starters and main.
I had the chowder and half ceaser salad for my other good half.
Salad seemed ok, but my chowder seemed to be brown and when I tastes it I immediatly knew what was going on. Chef had taken veg soup which was also on menu and lumped in a few pieces of fish mix. Not a great starter by any means and I paid 6.95 for this!

Mains were 2 burgers @12.95 each. 1 with cheese, and I had cheese and bacon.
When they arrived we were greated by my pet hate!!! Cheap small burger buns, the same kind you get a burger van or out of a value pack.
The meat content was questionable. I got two pieces of what appeared to be bone in mine. At this point we decided to skip dessert and leave.

When we went to pay I was asked the by manager if everything was ok. I explained I was not happy with burger and told her about the bone and cheap buns. All she had to say was "maybe there was a bone in when they minced the meat"... Enough said.

Even though we were clearly not satisfied, the manager still charged us full price!!

We left without leaving a tip and wont be giving Matt The Trasher a third chance.

Up your game Matt,,, change your chef, improve your food quality and reduce your prices before its too late.

Visited June 2013