“Service could have been better”
Review of La Boheme

La Boheme
Ranked #11 of 174 Restaurants in Waterford
Price range: US$5 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood, French, European
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: La Bohème Restaurant is housed in the vaults of the Georgian ‘Port of Waterford’ building – an historic property which has been associated with the local Chamber of Commerce for many years.Proprietors Christine and Eric Théze have patiently restored this magnificent space to create an inviting and intimate atmosphere. Its original flagstone floors, limewashed walls and vaulted ceilings are unique and particular to Waterford. The design of the restaurant is sympathetic to the architecture of the building, with influences of New Baroque. The restaurant combines ornate antiques and decoration with modern touches creating an eclectic, decadent interior.La Bohème is a restaurant where the pleasures of the table are in accord with the décor, blending modern delicacies with recipes passed down from generation to generation. Enjoy an aperitif at our beautiful pewter bar while perusing the menu and whetting your appetite.‘Here at La Bohème we pride ourselves in going the extra mile to give our customers a dining experience beyond comparison’
Waterford, Ireland
“Service could have been better”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Had a meal mid week here with family.It was a damp night and the restaraunt was very cosy with a nice atmostphere,We were greeted by a man behind the bar,and then a waiteress gave us menus and a wine list,She didnt tell us the soup of the day or the fish of the day we had to ask the barman what they were.We were asked if we would like a drink and we ordered some. ,one of which was a cocktail and then we waited and waited,after a while the barman started making the cocktail,he tasted it during the process and then poured in into a glass and brought ot to the table,The rest of us still hadnt got our drinks,The waiteress came back to the bar and was also given a taste of the remaining cocktail ,We were still waiting for our drinks,They finally saw them and brought them to us.Our orders were taken and we were brought to our table .The waiteress only took one of the drinks to the table and left the rest of us to carry our own,She did however tell us to mind the step which was just as well as had the person in the group carrying their glass in one hand and a bottle in the other have fallen it could have been quite nasty.The meal i couldnt fault,We asked for a cheese platter for two for desert an option that was on the menu,but asked for a third plate,This request was repeated twice,When the bill came we had been charged for three cheeseboards ,We pointed this out to the girl and she said "but i gave you a lot of cheese" we said but we asked for the cheese board for two that was on the menu,She said she would remove it,We were also overcharged for a drink which we pointed out,That was also fixed.When the bill was being paid we were asked if we wanted to put a tip on the card,I always thought that tips were discretionary,We did give a tip i hope the chef got every penny of it.he was the only one deserved it.If it was busy there would have been some excuse ,but apart from us there were six others.

CTheze, Owner at La Boheme, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Madison62,
Many thanks for your detailed review on Tripadvisor. We always appreciate customer feedback on their experiences of our restaurant.

We are delighted your enjoyed the meal and could not fault the food. Unfortunately on the occasion that you dined with us, you did not find the service up to scratch. We apologize for this. Our staff is hugely professional and always give their utmost. On this particular occasion you and ourselves were let down. I have discussed the errors that happened on the night with the staff in question and have not been able to ascertain a satisfactory explanation to the whats and why's. Therefore all I can offer in the way of an apology is just that. We are sorry.

It's certainly not they way our service is normally conducted.

We hope to see you on a future occasion,

Waterford, Ireland
“Great customer service”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My boyfriend and I went in for an evennig meal about 6pm, Food was fantastic, service was excellent, beautiful atmostphere and the wine was wonderful. All in all a great night out. Will be back again.

• Visited August 2013
CTheze, Owner at La Boheme, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear lisa g,
We are over the moon you enjoyed the food, service and ambience and that you took the time to say so on Trip Advisor! We look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to La Boheme,
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic service, always so friendly & 5* Menu”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Unfortunately no longer living in Waterford so don't get here much anymore. I called the restaurant last weekend to make a special request for two friends (couple) who were celebrating a nice romantic birthday meal. Had a cake delivered to restaurant as a surprise and also called later in the day to buy some cocktails to be presented upon arrival. At no stage was I rushed (even though I left it late in the day & called at a busy time) I was kindly thanked for my call, my custom and told I would receive a copy of bill for drinks by post if required. Spoke with friends next day who said everything as usual was perfect from the setting ,to cocktails,meal and overall service and presentation. I decided to leave this review (my first ever) to show my appreciation as I see first hand how easy restaurants in busy,thriving cities get business without doing nothing out of the ordinary for it, yet in Waterford, amazing restaurants such as La Boheme must stay on top of their game to keep a consistent, regular trade in a challenging time for any business. I will be returning here for my annual Christmas meal with family (we come here every year at Christmas time) and this year, like every year, I can't wait!!!

1 Thank DebKev1
CTheze, Owner at La Boheme, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear DebKev1,
What lovely words you published on Trip Advisor for a first timer. We are blushing!

We work hard with our staff as a team and try to give personal, polished, professional service in the dining room. The kitchen staff only use fresh local ingredients and work like beavers to send out the very best they can. We are then recompensed royally by your review for which we thank you.

We are delighted we will see you again at Christmas and look very much forward to making it a special occasion for you once more.
kindest regards,
Glagow
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We ate here this week and, based on reviews were looking forward to a good meal. While the starters & desserts were pleasant, main courses were very disappointing. My husband chose beef while I had lamb; we both asked for medium, but the meat was rare, bloody. I didn't bother to return it to the kitchen as it was an inferior, fatty cut of meat. The young boy who cleared away the plates - I had hardly eaten anything- only smiled & retreated when I said it was very poor. We won't be back to La Boheme.

1 Thank JkbGlagow
CTheze, Owner at La Boheme, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear JkbGlagow,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Whilst we very much appreciate feedback (positive or negative), we prefer when a customer has a problem with their meal to talk to us in person on the night.

We have a manager who has a diploma in Restaurant Management. Part of his role is to look after our clients on our behalf and he should have been alerted to your discontent straight away. Our apologies for this, we have brand new staff and although they go through very rigorous training before let go on the floor, we do have to brush up their table side skills for a few weeks to get them to the level that we require. The young man in question should have made the manager aware your meat was not cooked to your liking and we would have given you the option of replacing it with the correct "cuisson".

Your comment about the quality of meat you were served as inferior is quite incorrect. It was perhaps not cooked to your liking (our mistake) but the quality is certainly excellent. We source our ribeye (which is a fatty steak, therefore giving it more flavour) and our rump of lamb from Dawn Meats. I urge you to look up their website for all the awards they have attained due to the quality of their Irish meat. We would not sacrifice our reputation which is also our livelihood by using poor quality products of any kind.

If we can make up for your disappointment recently, please call the restaurant and ask to speak directly to myself and we can discuss the when and how's.
I hope to hear from you in the near future,
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very enjoyable Evening”
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

My Wife and I went too the jazz night for the food festival. Food was fantastic,service was excellent, beautiful atmosphere and the wine was wonderful. All in all a great night out. Will be back.

1 Thank happykamper35
CTheze, Owner at La Boheme, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Happykamper35,
Thanks for your wonderful review on T.A. It's certainly buzzing with enthousiasm about the Jazz, the food, ambience and wine, we are delighted you enjoyed everything.

We hope to see you on a future Jazz night!