“A dank, musty dump.”

River Walk Apartments
County Wexford, Ireland
“A dank, musty dump.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I am a student from W.I.T and last year was mu first year there, Riverwalk was my choice of accommodation as it was cheap and looked great on the website, but the website is the most misleading website I have ever came across. I was given an apartment in block 9 (other blocks were not available to me as I was only a first year) and it was a complete dump and not fit for living. It was disgustingly dirty and grimey, mould and damp EVERYWHERE. During the wintertime I had to wear a coat going to bed because it got that cold and the storage heaters were deemed useless. It is advertised that the TV license is included in the fee which it is not and was told I had to get the TV removed if I wasn't to pay the €160.
As a college student, I had made many friends, but I was not allowed to bring my friends up to my apartment unless I signed them in at reception and was only allowed 1 guest per resident, making it seem like some sort of prison.

The only good things about Riverwalk is that its in a good location between W.I.T and the city and the receptionists are very friendly.

So if you are thinking of staying in Riverwalk and are offered an apartment in block 9, run for your life and your health! Because no way is it healthy to be living there...

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank MrBrez123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Belmont, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

The pictures and description on the booking sites are very misleading. These are definitely NOT apartments, but are college dorm rooms. The pictures show what looks to be a colorful, cushy apartment, but trust me, this is not what you will get! What you will get is a dorm unit with all the charm of a hospital room. The plus is that we had a whole dorm suite to ourselves and the beds were comfortable. The negatives were the uncleanliness of one of the bathrooms (black mold behind the toilet and along the moldings), the awful stench in one of the bedrooms and the common area where the kitchenette is (it smelled like an old, musty, smokey bar after hours!), the stains on the bottom of the mattress in one of the bedrooms (looks like someone threw up on the floor and it splattered up on the side of the mattress), the food still stuck to the utensils in the kitchen (obviously not washed) and the trash can in the kitchen was untouchable (gunk and grime all over it and it even had trash in it already!), you can't leave the bedroom doors open unless you prop a heavy suitcase up against it and if they shut, you have to use your key card to enter it again. The floors are linoleum/cement and I made the mistake of walking around barefoot. When I looked at the bottom of my feet, they were dirt black! The doors slam shut on their own, so you are constantly hearing slamming doors from not only your own unit, but the other units around you. We had to walk back to the office to request a remote for the TV and the lady said they might not have a remote for the specific TV in our unit, but fished one out of a bucket and told me to try it. We were in luck, it worked. I do have to say that the front desk staff was friendly and as helpful as they could be, but if we had booked this for more than one night, we would have left and gone somewhere else. We were already tired from touring and driving, so decided to just suck it up for one night. I opted to wait until we hit our next destination to take a shower and we left before the staff was even in the office the next morning! Overall, I would not recommend this as an option.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nicole P

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Riverwalk Apartments are during the semester mostly rented to students. Unfortunately it cannot be recommended to those. Many services that are promoted on the website are not available as you would expect it.

* The Internet connection is most of the time much too slow or not available at all. As a student you might be dependent on a reliable Internet connection, so you would have to buy a Mobile Broadband Stick which costs you about 20,- EUR additionally.
Any complaints at the reception are ignored. After one month the connection is as slow as at the first day and students who already live here for more than one semester will tell you that it won't change anyway.

* To wash you laundry, be aware of the costs. For one wash cycle you have to pay 4,- EUR. There are no (foldout) drying racks, so the dryer costs additionally 3,- EUR - That are 7,- EUR for washing!

* Since 2011 you have to pay for the TV license yourself so it is not included in your monthly rent.

In general don't believe what they are writing on their website. It might not be lied, but it is also not the whole truth.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Dani_l_MSpain
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Stayed in the property on the weekend of July 26. Firstly the property is used for college students the majority of the year and this is plain to see as the rooms are basic and sparce. This was fine for us as we were a group of lads on a stag weekend.

When we booked the property i was made aware of a security deposit of 100 euro which was fine. When we arrived we were told it was 100 per apartment and not booking as had been clearly stated when we booked.

We had 4 apartments and 2 were put on credit card and we also handed over 200 in cash. We asked do we get the cash back in the morning and were told YES by the staff member on duty ( who was very nice )

All was fine and we enjoyed a nice night out in Waterford.

The next morning we packed up and were ready to depart. When we went to reception to check out we were told we could not have the cash back and that it would be sent out to us within 7 days.

The "manager" stated that this was policy and no matter what we had been told by the staff member the previous day that there was no chance of getting it back as cash was not kept on site.

When we said that we needed the money as we hadn't budgeted for it as we thought we had to pay a 100 euro depsoit and not 400 as asked the previous day the manager came back with the following statement...."if you can't afford to go away you shouldn't go". We made it clear to him that we were told by the staff member the previous day that the deposit would be returned, even if it said on the booking form that it takes 7 days.

He was extremely rude and could/would not name his employers so we could make a complaint. He just pointed to the name on the top of the booking form.

After a lot of talking he said he would look at the apartments and return the deposits if all was ok ( which it was ). He did this and suddenly the cash which was not on site 15 minutes earlier appeared.....

Overall the apartments were basic and we enjoyed them BUT not the attitude and level of service from the so called "manager"

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank maxi_p
Riverside, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2009

The River Walk Apartments are college apartments that are rented out over the summer. The unit we had was a two bedroom, self catering apartment. It was well equipped but a bit dirty for my taste. The walls are pale white with little if any decor. The unit had the smell of a college dorm.

The staff was very polite and professional. We had trouble with our rental car and they were very helpful in contacting the rental car company. They gave great directions to get around town and recommended an outstanding grocery store.

There were no activities at the location.

If you are a family traveling with children or you are looking for a self catering location for an extended stay this is a good location. If you are looking for an upscale location this is not it.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family