“Very underwhelming, left disappointed.”
Review of Cafe Goa

Cafe Goa
Ranked #17 of 178 Restaurants in Waterford
Cuisines: Indian
Waterford
“Very underwhelming, left disappointed.”
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Visited here on a Thursday night with my better half, what can I say only we left a little under whelmed and lighter in the pocket.
Staff weren't overly bothered by us or particularly polite being honest. Food ordered &poppadoms arrived with the usual dips which were very nice. Starter of mixed meat platter arrived promptly and was nice but it only contained chicken?!!where was the lamb or prawn?..If our server had of bothered to ask us if we enjoyed it or if it was ok I would have broached the subject with her but as I said she wasn't particularly interested in whether we liked it or not. The chicken was nice&consisted of tikka, tandoori chicken & pakora. For mains we both got boiled rice one with lamb rogan josh & the other lamb jalfrezi and a garlic naan for good measure which was really lovely and light. The mains were very tasty but both tainted with a lot of ghee which became over bearing half way through.
Price wise it was a little on the expensive side and I don't think it was worth the money to be honest. The rice was charged seperate to your main course which is a bit rich now in an indian restaurant, well considering they are charging €15for a main course and then an additional €2.50 for plain rice! Also they use those horrible paper table cloths, it's a real pet hate of mine, makes it look cheap, tables would look much better without them or with proper white table cloths. Also the table we sat at wasn't properly dressed & staff never bothered to dress it after we sat down, which left one of us with a wine glass one of us without. Then when I asked for jug of water it came out with one water glass! As other people mentioned they tables are quite small and your on top of the next table but as it wasn't overly busy on the night it didn't really impede our dining experience. What did though was the fact that the table was too small for the plates when the mixed platter arrived and the waitress just plonked it down in the middle of the table regardless. We had to remove stuff from the table ourselves. The staff could do with a bit more training. There was nothing really bad about the place just all the little things adding up together to take away from what should have been a nice dining experience. The food was good but the service and price were only average, if there was a two and a half marks they would have gotten it instead of a three.
I wouldn't be back in a hurry, there are much nicer Indians in Waterford, all within walking distance and much better value for money. Sorry cafe goa but being my2nd visit and giving you the benefit of the doubt we won't be back any time soon.

• Polish first
New Ross, Ireland
“Always excellent”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I've eaten in Cafe Goa loads of times and it's always excellent. I dont know why I havent done a review yet. Food is always first rate. Staff are friendly and there is a great buzz about the place.

3 Thank rorypower
Waterford, Ireland
“very good food, service and asmosphere”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Good food, good service and good fun. Menu was very varied with lots of choices. Starters were particularly good. Food was so plentiful we had some to take home. Definitely would come again.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank JoanDurney
Dublin
“Nice Indian”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Ate here on New Year's Eve and would have expected less than par service however the service was great as was the food. A rather extensive menu is available and while the surroundings are quite limited there is seating outside of the main restaurant. If you like Indian this is a place you ought to visit if you're in Waterford providing relatively good value for money.

2 Thank Dublin6Dublin
“Excellent dining”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Myself and my partner are regular diners at this resteraunt, we even travel 40miles to eat here sometimes. The food has always been 100% and our own tastes have been catered to many times. The chicken and lamb is top quality and tender and we have never had a bad experience with food here,I have even brought my leftovers home with me! The staff have always been friendly and have always served with a smile, and I cannot fault the cleanliness of the place, the tablecloths are changed at each sitting and fresh cloth napkins each time,cosy little place with lots of atmosphere where you can actually see into the kitchen where the food is being cooked

2 Thank jcbk83