“Imposing & lacking hot water”

Samuels Heritage B&B
Ranked #2 of 23 Waterford B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Imposing & lacking hot water”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed for one night during a layover in Waterford, just before traveling to Dublin at the. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, but I would not stay here again. First, upon arriving, we were essentially chastised for booking the room through Expedia and not directly from the B&B's website... Apparently I "cost her 15%" (the room was cheaper through Expedia). A bit of an awkward greeting, and I felt obligated to apologize as I was sitting in the lounge after a long day of travel. Upon checking out, the owner then told me a convoluted story about how an ungrateful American who left an expensive gift in her room "couldn't be bothered to send me a thank you card for returning it. But I guess, some people are just raised differently." Another completely awkward and imposing exchange. That aside, the biggest issue was the hot water. The B&B was full the night we stayed and we did not have hot water in our room for showers. We waited about an hour and tried again, still no hot water. Same problem following breakfast the next morning - we were forced to rush through a cold shower to get on with the day. Would not stay here again. Another note - Do not stay here if you want to be within walking distance of anything. It essentially is tucked up on a hill in the middle of the suburbs. Nice if you'd like a mini retreat, but not close to anything worth seeing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CharmCity87
fruitysusy, Owner at Samuels Heritage B&B, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear CharmCity87,
thanking you for taking the time to write a review for Samuel's Heritage.
Sorry to hear that I gave you the impression of being imposing.
On a point of information I tell my guests of the 15% commission that Expedia charges each operator and most are surprised by the height of the charge. It is my choice to advertise with Expedia after all, and so tap into their considerable marketing budget, that I as a sole trader can only dream of! But as always in business it is to strive to get bookings directly and thus to avoid any middlemen who inevitably take their cut. So my recommendation is to indeed use any Booking engine as a means to search by, and then contact the chosen provider directly, as nowadays all have their own website with all relevant contact information and even own booking engine.

My story - convoluted as you found it - actually showed that we take customer service very seriously and went though great length to reunite them with their precious gifts!! And thank you card or not we will go the extra mile always to help our guests and make them feel comfortable and happy !!!!
Unfortunately with regards to the hot water or lack of it - you never gave us any opportunity to practice good customer service, as you failed not once but twice to alert us to the lack of it- which could have been resolved but a quick press of a boost button had we of course known that there was an issue.
We feel very aggrieved and very sorry that you had to start your days touring not feeling refreshed.
Maybe in future you could let your queries be
known to your host so that they can be resolved and I promise to watch the stories I convey or much better put by
Lady Dorothy Nevill:
"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Claremorris, Ireland
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I had reason to stay in this B and B for one nights stay. It was more than I could have wished for, I enjoyed a warm welcome, a snug room, a delicious breakfast and the great company if the owners. I highly recommend it to any individual, couple or family.

• Stayed March 2014
fruitysusy, Owner at Samuels Heritage B&B, responded to this review, 17 December 2014
Thanks Birdeen for having taken the time to write us a review for Samuel's Heritage B&B we are very glad that we have met and even exceeded your expectations.Thanks for your kind and positive comments and hopefully some time in the future we can accommodate you again, until then best regards Susan & Desmond
Leicester
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed two nights in this slightly unusual B&B a little way out of Waterford. It felt a bit like a motel, probably due to the long passageway and wooden floors. Nice big bedroom with large comfy bed but tiny shower-room with half-used bottles of toiletries. Would have been nice to have tea or coffee making facilities in the room although they were available in the communal lounge. We arrived later than the time we had estimated due to a horrendous traffic queue getting through Waterford and this seemed to put the owner out - we did not receive the friendly welcome other reviews have spoken of. The breakfasts, in a small breakfast room, were good. However we felt obliged to arrive at the time we had given the night before in case we got told off for being late again! Although the owner has said in response to a previous review that theB&B shouldn't be judged on the state of her private accommodation her living room and study were open to public view. First impressions are important and added to the overall view of a rather chaotic business venture which, with some slight tweaks, could be very good. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amazeu
fruitysusy, Owner at Samuels Heritage B&B, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Belated Happy St Patrick's Day amazeu, thank you for having taken the time – 8 month on from your visit- to review Samuel's Heritage. Let me address your concerns as I go along . The ensuite with Walk in shower are the recommended size required to achieve Quality standard approval, sorry that you felt it too small for your needs. With regards to the complimentary toiletries we try to stay sustainable and replace when used up completely – but of course if you had asked we would have gladly supplied you with more of them .Needless to say you could not have anticipated traffic jams
causing your later than expected arrival, sorry for not giving you the expected welcome – we do try to plan our day according to our guests arrival as of course this is a Family home as well as a B&B
Surely you didn't really think that I would hold a grudge over this with regards to Breakfast again we ask our guests what time they want to have Breakfast as to plan the sitting of the guests in which I think ample Breakfast room considering that it seats 18 !! After all it is for their convenience to be seated and served swiftly as all the breakfasts are cooked to order.
So a call to change your breakfast time would have been quiet simple instead of feeling obliged to come at a time that was inconvenient to you. Huge improvements have been made to Living Room and office in the quiet time when we were able to concentrate on our family area as not busy with guests in the off season. Your comment about chaotic business venture I find very hurtful as we work very hard to please all our guests that come to our door and customer service is the backbone of our business which we have been running for 19 years this year.
Would love to hear suggestion on how we could shake of the 'Motel' feel of our hallway. Please feel free to get back to me directly on this matter.
Again thanking you for your feedback it is always appreciated, SUSAN
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This Bed and Breakfast is brilliant!
After staying here last year with the family and having a fantastic stay i was returning last weekend with just myself and the wife There was only one place to book.
The rooms are very generous in size, the bathrooms are clean, the breakfasts are a great set up for your day ahead, the warm family welcome is like you have known Susan and Des for years. and the view of the river and city day or night is beautiful.
We will use this Bed And Breakfast when we return either for quick weekend visits or long family trips.
5 Stars no doubt about it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
fruitysusy, Owner at Samuels Heritage B&B, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Belated St Patricks Day R& P , thanks so much for your kind words and review of Samuel's Heritage .It was great to again welcome you here and we are all looking forward to meeting you and the family in the future again, best regards to all SUSAN
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Somehow on this bed and breakfast I ended up with the biggest room. It could have slept 3 people. It was clean, huge bathroom and lots of room for luggage. I can recall that the hostess was a chef of sorts, never had I tasted such great fruit and wonderful scones. We sat at the breakfast table a long while here. Her home over looked a valley and river. We stayed in July 2011.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dawn E
Dear Dawn E, thanks for first and foremost staying with us at Samuel's Heritage B&B, so very glad you enjoyed our facilities - we put a lot of thought into the extension (in 2010) of our original property and found it very important to have spacious well laid out rooms for our guests. As most of our rooms have a Double bed and a Single bed there are many possibilities for our guests sleeping arrangements. Gad you enjoyed our extensive breakfast buffet we like to provide lots of choice and offering a variety of fresh fruit has been welcomed by our guests and indeed we love to bake our scones fresh every morning. I hope you in the future will visit again and can enjoy once again our hospitality, best regards Susan & Desmond
Slovenj Gradec, Slovenia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have stayed for 19 days in this B&B and I thought it was perfect. Not only because my room was really great, and the lounge, and the gym with the sauna, location and the view, but also because Susan and Des added just the right amount of "soul" there. So it wasnt "just some B&B" but it felt like home.
I had a bike, and even if it is on the top of the hill, it was not such a problem to get there. Location is not so far from city center, and yet far enough to have a great night sleep.
Breakfast is prima. Reccomend eggs - fresh.
You wont be sorry if you decide to stay here.

Room Tip: Choose the available one.