“EXCELLENT HOTEL”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Limerick, Ireland
“EXCELLENT HOTEL”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel last night and have nothing negitive to say about it. The location is both convenient and scenic. The staff are the nicest people I have met in a hotel for a long time everyone was helpful and friendly. We ate at the hotel restaurant, now that was another treat a three course meal with a bottle of wine €50 for both of us and it was excellent. I would recommend this hotel highly it was comfortable, clean and very good value. We will return.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely review of the Waterford Marina Hotel, I am delighted to read such great comments about our location, and the staff who looked after you. The Waterfront Restaurant offers great value with the Dinner Special and I am so glad you enjoyed it.
We have great offers on all year round and we would welcome you back on a return visit at any time in the future.
Looking forward to meeting you again.
Karen Dollery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
abu dhabi
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. Both room and bathroom were good and I liked the fact that there was a proper bath, although it had a fixed shower head, so you can't wash your hair separately. Bathroom supplies are very basic - just all purpose shower gel and shampoo and no conditioner or body lotion (which I didn't bring myself, as most hotels supply it).

I had read some reviews about the friendliness of staff, so was slightly put off by the attitude of the blonde receptionist who 'greeted' us on arrival. She told me in a rather admonishing tone I had booked a double room with single occupancy when there were two of us, and I would have to pay the extra. I had booked the room some weeks previously, and my daughter had decided to join me fairly last minute. The tone of the receptionist suggested I was trying to get the room at a cheaper rate, which I didn't appreciate, as I had genuinely forgotten what the booking terms were and merely remembered I had booked a double room.

We tried to avoid her after that - e.g. when I asked for a check out extension I made sure she wasn't on duty (kindly granted an extra hour). The others on reception were fine.

We ate in the restaurant twice and found the food good and prices reasonable. The restaurant staff were very helpful and I want to especially commend the Eastern European lad (sorry I forgot his name) who was so accommodating trying to make us an Irish coffee (cream wasn't suitable). Very pleasant sitting outside on the terrace.

I found the location of the hotel very good - easy walking distance to all sites, restaurants and pubs. We just loved the friendliness of the people in the town and it was just a pity our first impression was slightly spoiled.

Room Tip: Try to get river view second floor (or third if there is one).
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
I would like to thank you for taking the time to recommend the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, it really means a lot to us that you enjoyed your stay enough to tell other people about it. I am sorry if you felt we were admonishing you on check in it certainly would not have been our intention to make it sound that way but I am glad you found we were close to all that Waterford City has to offer and we would be delighted to welcome you back for a return visit in the very near future.
In the meantime enjoy the last few weeks of the summer.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Good hotel close to central parts of town but in a quiet area. The House of Waterford crystal is a few minutes walk away. The town center another few minutes in the same direction. Close the the house of crystal is Munster pub, very classical place that had good food as well.
There is a few pubs and restaurants close to the hotel but we did not try them out.
Hotel staff was friendly and helpful and I would definitively recommend this place.

1 Thank Magnus F
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you for writing a review on Tripadvisor for the Waterford Marina Hotel, I really appreciate your recommendation to other visitors choosing to stay in Waterford City. We have a great location in the City siutated overlooking the River Suir yet only a few yards from the Viking Triangle and House of Waterford Crystal. I am glad to read that the hotel staff looked after you during your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit from Sweden.
Please remember that next year is The Gathering 2013 where throughout Ireland there a yearlong series of events and festivals to celebrate Irish culture, history and genealogy.
Please enjoy the remainder of 2012
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed only for one night in a triple non smoking room and it was very clean,if a little tired looking. Staff were very friendly and helpful as well.if your looking for a cheap,no frills place to stay at a very reasonable price,you found it!

• Stayed July 2012
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thank you for taking time after your recent stay to review the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, I am glad you enjoyed your short stay with us and I will certainly pass on your kind comments to all the staff.
We would be delighted to welcome you back for a return stay in the future and if you are plannning a trip next year please have a look at The Gathering 2013 website to see all the wonderful events taking place in Ireland throughout the year.
Kind Regards
Birmingham
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Stayed at the Waterford Marina for 4 nights earlier this month. We'd requested a quiet room with a river view if possible, and were delighted to be allocated both. The location of the Marina - as well as being really picturesque - is an easy walking distance from the city centre, near enough to be convenient, but far enough away to be quite peaceful.
The staff here are really friendly and will do their best to help. The prices in the bar are good too - not much different to the city centre bar prices, which is always a plus point in hotels!
Waterford itself was impressive - a really clean city with things to do in the centre (Waterford Crystal tour, Reginald Tower etc.) or with good transport links if you prefer to explore the neighbouring counties, e.g Kilkenny.
All in all we had a fabulous stay. So good in fact that our return visit is booked , and this time we have friends in to tow who want to see for themselves if Waterford - and the Marina - is really as good as we've said (and yes, it is!;)

Room Tip: The river view rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brummymummy2012
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
I would like to thank you for writing such a lovely review on Tripadvisor about the Waterford Marina Hotel, it is really nice to see that you enjoyed your stay in Waterford City so much that you are bringing friends back with you on a return visit. There have been a lot new developments in the City over the past few years which has regenerated an area less than 200 yards from us called The Viking Triangle and with the River Suir running past our window I agree that our location is a great asset. I would be delighted to meet you on your return visit so please can you ask for me when you and your friends have settled in and in the meantime enjoy the rest of Summer 2012.
Karen and all the Team
Waterford Marina Hotel
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My family and I have just came home from 3nights at the Waterford Marina. When we arrived the 3 children were given a goodie bag with puzzel books and a lollipop. The family room was the most spacious we have ever stayed in and the children each had a proper bed and not a camp bed. The views out the windows of the river suir and the city at night were fab. The staff were very friendly and couldnt do enough. We had an evening meal included which was lovely. The childrens meals were great value. The breakfast had great variety and all freshly cooked. The bar food was lovely too. Overall a delightful stay and would return again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to share your experience in the Waterford Marina Hotel with Tripadvisor readers. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us last week, its great to read the children liked the party bags we like to give them a treat to start their little holiday. I appreciate your kind comments about the food, service and staff and will certainly pass them on to the staff to read.
We look forward to welcoming you again whenever you are returning to Waterford City, please remeber to ask for the same room at reservation.
In the meantime enjoy the remainder of the Summer.
Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This is a nice hotel. Situated close to the city centre (and a Chinese restaurant called Jude's, very nice!) We stayed for 1 night and requested a river view. We got a river view room which we were pleased about and it was a good sized room too.

The room had a double and a single even though we only needed a double, the extra space was welcomed. Room had tea and coffee making facilities, TV (an old CRT) and two desks. The bathroom was clean and had the usual shower gel dispenser in bath/shower, shower caps etc. 5 towels in the room which was nice (3 hand [or 2 hand, 1 guest] and 2 bath towels). Shower was nice and high, at 6' sometimes in hotels I find the shower heads too low but not here.

Breakfast was included which was during 7-10am as far as I remember. They were possibly understaffed at 9.30am, we queued for about 3 minutes to get a table and then again at the hot food area (member of staff wasn't there). Nevertheless, the food was delicious. Croissants etc. were available, as well as toast, fruit, yoghurt, etc., it was a very good selection.

Staff were friendly. The bar gave us glasses and two buckets of ice for our room when we asked for some ice. Overall very helpful.

Small improvements could be made, old CRT TVs make the room feel older than they would otherwise. More staff could be available during breakfast (the staff at the time were extremely busy but coping well given the circumstances). Very good, we will be back if staying in Waterford.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, it's very nice!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time after your stay at the Waterford Marina Hotel, Its lovely to read a such a detailed account of your experience with us and I really like the photographs you downloaded with your review. I will certainly look at the staffing levels and do our very best to avoid any future delays with service, I would like to apologise for the delay you experienced but am glad this aside, you enjoyed our breakfast in the Waterfront Restaurant where the staff work hard to please our guests.
I would be delighted to welcome you back for a return visit in the future so please contact me personally and I will arrange a nice riverview room for you to enjoy.
Kind Regards