“Location nice but property needs to be updated!”

Waterford Marina Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dayton Ohio
“Location nice but property needs to be updated!”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I know hotels abroad are not US standards, but clean is always good. That is about the only good thing I have to say about this well worn hotel, badly in need of room makeovers, Lobby and pub area are ok, but new TVs, would be nice in rooms along with updated plumbing in bathrooms, no A/C either. Area was ok, was going to go across the street to the pub until we saw some bloke yelling at the women walking by so we just ate at the pub bar, food was average. Most of our tour mates also ended up here also. Breakfast next day was fair at best. Location is lovely along the river. I'm sure back in the hotels prime it was the place to be, I think Trafalgar keeps this property in business.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, I am dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and only one good thing to say about us ' our cleanliness', I would like to say that we have an ongoing maintenance and upgrading programme throughout the hotel which I call 'Work in Progress' and hopefully on your next visit to Ireland you will have a change of opinion. With regards to keeping our property in business, we are indeed very lucky to have a broad spectrum of guests from individual business guests to leisure guests to coach party guests and all of them without exception are vital to our continued success.
Karen Dollery

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Was surprised there was no AC...It was hot when we checked in but it did cool off at night. We could hear loud music till 11PM. Everyone was nice and friendly and the hotel close to everything. I doubt I would stay here again

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay in the Waterford Marina Hotel, I am very dissappointed to read that you may not return in the future, we do not have air conditioning in our rooms but we should have offered you a fan and an extra sheet so you could throw off the duvet. We also have live entertainment in our Waterfront Bar on Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm until 12 midnight - we have strict guidlines for the musicians to ensure they do not disturb our guests sleeping upstairs - I will review this with my managers today.
I would be delighted to welcome you and your family on a return trip to Waterford City and would do everything possible to ensure you enjoyed your stay.
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was a wonderful choice for a hotel. It was fine to find and had secure garage parking for the car. The reception staff were excellent - in fact I knew that already because the same evening I made my booking online with a special request I received a phone call from them to check with me about my request. NOW I call that good service.
The room 206 was on the 2nd floor close to the lift as I had requested. It was a large room with a King size bed and in addition a single bed. It was well decorated and clean. The bed was really comfortable. The best was the view from the window as we could see the river and marina. There was no noise at all throughout the night and we slept well.
We dined in the restaurant. I loved the salmon and my partner had turkey breast on a bed of mash. The trio of desserts were scrumptious! The service was very good and friendly. The breakfast the next day was good with white pudding as well as the usual fare for a cooked breakfast. It was great to be able to take coffee onto the terrace.
The hotel is just along from the centre and the Waterford Crystal centre is within easy walking distance.
A real bonus is the outside terrace by the river where one can watch the swans, herons, a chap passing by said he had seen an otter..... whereas I did spot a "Basil" but that was down on the wooden jetty.
Was really sorry that I had only booked in for one night and regretted not doing 2. The drive to Waterford from Arklow was simply lovely.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Waterford Marina Hotel with Tripadvisor readers, your lovely kind comments are very much appreciated by all of the team here in the hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit to us and Waterford City, our location on the River Suir is certainly an asset and all of our guests enjoy the activies on the water.
We look forward to welcoming you both again on a return visit, hopefully for longer this time.
Calgary Alberta Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This property in located in the centre of town bedside the river but if you can ask for a room that does not overlook the bar. There is no air con in the room and opening the windows lets smoke waft up. Consequently be prepared for a stuffy room and poor sleep.
Staff tried but could not alter the smell. They merely apologized for this without the offer of any compensation.
On the good side, they have a nice breakfast and a secure car park.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you both enjoyed your breakfast and I agree that our secure carpark is a plus for our guests. I will certainly look into the issues you experienced with my team here.
I would be delighted to welcome you back on a return visit to Ireland and if you want to contact me I can oversee a different allocation of guest room overlooking the River Suir.
gm@waterfordmarinahotel.com
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 18 June 2013

stayed in the hotel with my daughters hen group 17 people in total,they were brilliant check in did not take long our rooms were lovely.we had a 3 course meal for 20 euros with tea or coffee as well plenty to choose from no complaints,all delighted and the residents bar even handed out cocktail sausages late at night brilliant so friendly will go back

Room Tip: well the rooms we had were all in the front which was great as it was our first time there i cant co...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time out of your hectic schedule to review the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, we really enjoyed meeting you and your friends during your stay with us and it really means a lot that you have taken the time to tell everyone especially when you are busy planning the wedding. We hope you all have a great day and look forward to welcoming you back for a reutrn visit.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2013

We spent two nightsa in Waterford Marina hotel. We have taken the ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare and then driven from Rosslare to arrive in Waterford. The ferry got delayed and we came to the hotel at 2:00AM in the morning. We were tired and desperate to have a few hours of sleep. Luckily, Marina hotel has a twenty four hour reception desk. We stopped the car near the back door which they normally close at 7:00PM. The person at the reception desk saw us and opened the door to greet us. We explained how we got held up due to the Ferry delay.He was very sympathetic and asked us to leave the car in the only vacant disable parking slot and come in. We could move the car to the secure car park in the morning. He took only a couple of minutes to check us in and give our keys to the room. That was excellent service.
We were given a room with a view. When we got up in the morning, we found that we had a good view of the river Suir from our room window. We had our first full Irish breakfast at Marina Hotel. Irish breakfast is very different from the English breakfast. It includes Black pudding, White pudding, Irish Bacon, Sausages and Eggs prepared to your liking.
The hotel had free parking and free Wifi. Breakfast was not free, but we have included it in our booking. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We have been planning to visit the Waterford crystal factory while in Waterford. We found it to be only a short distance from the hotel. Our room was bigger than most hotel rooms and the double bed was very comfortable. I can recommend this hotel for both families and business travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your trip to review the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, your lovely comments are very much appreciated and I am delighted our night staff looked after you quickly and efficiently at that time of the morning. I can see that you enjoyed your time in the City of Waterford and I am very grateful for your recommendations.
We hope to meet you both again in the near future and in the meantime we would like to wish you a safe and enjoyable Summer of 2013.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

I was there for one night and really enjoyed myself.

It is a small hotel and the staff were wonderful. Nice quiet area so not alot of traffic. Great place to take a long walk and explore. I felt really safe. Really wanted to please their guests. I was in a single room so it was small but still very comfortable. A had a double bed not a twin. The hotel does have free wifi, really liked that. Toiletries, hair dryer and tv. The restaurant was good food was tasty, wonderful views and prices are reasonable. There are pubs and restaurants all around. Parking if you are driving.

I would return to this hotel.

Stayed May 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay in the Waterford Marina Hotel with Tripadvisor readers. I was so glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us in Waterford and would be delighted to welcome you on a return visit at anytime in the future.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip around Ireland.