“Very average!!!”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We decided to stay here for one night as we had stayed with friends in Tipperary the previous night and fancied making a weekend of it as a birthday treat for my partner. Having eventually gotten into the secure parking behind the hotel, we checked in. Friendly enough service at reception. We went up to the room which was very basic and the first thing I noticed was how untidily the beds were made. Linen was very creased, sheets and covers not tucked in properly and the valance sheet on the single bed was all caught up. Room obviously made in a hurry with no quality control. When a room is THAT basic, the least you can do is make sure it looks tidy. I have stayed in budget hotels of higher quality. Entertainment in the bar that night was questionable - chancer with a laptop sitting on a keyboard singing to dodgy backing tracks. Thankfully we only went in for a night cap following a fabulous night out. Went for breakfast the next morning. Service was slow and when we arrived waitress said "help yourself to cereal etc and we will serve you the hot food". This to me meant table service - so we waited. And we waited. Eventually another girl came to ask if we wanted tea/coffee and I asked her about the hot food. She said we had to queue and would be served at the buffet. I put it down to a language confusion but I was a little annoyed. The food was delicious however, couldn't be faulted. There was nothing great about this hotel that made me forget the little things unfortunately and it was disappointing as it was a birthday treat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, I would like to apologise for the shortcomings you experienced during your short stay with us and I have met with the relevant departments to address and rectify the issues immediately. I am delighted your check in was friendly and the food was delicious at breakfast however it is not our intention for our guests to leave disappointed and I hope that you would give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit to Waterford so you can experience our usual high standard of care and attention.
Karen Dollery

Write a ReviewReviews (1,226)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife and i stayed at the Marina Hotel from 15/07/14 to 22/07/14. The room was just what we had asked for with a river view.The breakfasts were very good a great variety of choice.
The bar meals and restuarant meals were excellent.The staff were very helpfull.It's not really fair to single out individual staff but Roma in the bar and Magda in the restuarant are an asset and a credit to the hotel.Would definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: choose a room with a river view
1  Thank stephen d

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, we were all delighted to meet you and your week long visit gave us an opportunity to get to know you both and look after you. I am glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit to us and I agree that both Roma and Magda are two lovely young ladies who are vital members of our team here. Thank you again for recommending us and we look forward to meeting you again in the not too distant future.
Warm regards
Karen and all the Team

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel has several problems. Firstly, the doors to the room are paper thin and allow for all noises coming from the corridors to enter the room. So, whenever someone passes, you will hear it in the room.

Secondly, some of the rooms, like ours are facing the hotel's kitchen vent, which means that your room will smell like a deep frier should you leave the window open, so make sure to ask for a room facing the park.

Thirdly, this hotel has a curious breakfast service practice. The warm breakfast buffet is placed just along side the cold one, and yet staff members insist that they should 'serve' you the hot dishes. Even though the breakfast staff is not standing at the buffet, they would jump from across the room and try to snatch the serving spoons from your hand insisting on the 'service'. If the hotel is insisting that the warm stuff is served they should place it in the kitchen/out of sight and ask what guests would like to eat and have it brought to the tables (as some hotels do) or have a person man the hot buffet at all times, but the way this hotel went about it was simply rude and confusing. If management is reading this, they should really decide on which way they want to go with their breakfast service, as their system at the moment is just creating confusion and a bad reputation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the kitchen chimney/vent, otherwise the room would smell like fish n...
1  Thank 559ThomasD
WaterfordMarina, General Manager at Waterford Marina Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, as you can see from all the previous reviews I read them all and do my very best to understand where the guests has found fault and I find a way of to make it better. With regards to the breakfast in the Waterfront Restaurant I am sorry that you found it curious, we like our guests to browse through the menu's because some of the items are cooked to order in the kitchen and cannot be displayed, I personally prefer a member of staff to serve the hot buffet for various reasons - 1 to recommend our lovely local black and white puddings and 2 to keep the area clean, tidy and fully stocked, I really cannot stand over a messy dirty buffet area it puts so many people off to see that.
I certainly do not think that this hotel creates confusion and definitely we do not have a bad reputation, sometimes there are issues that occur and I am sorry it has upset you but I would like to invite you to contact me via email to arrange a return visit to enjoy our usual high standard of care and attention.

Tel 051 856600
Email gm@waterfordmarinahotel.com

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Perfectly fine waterfront hotel with a nice relaxed atmosphere. There is a secure car park to the rear and the family rooms are to the rear of the hotel as it is quieter overlooking a parking area and apartments where residents live to the rear door is closed from 7 or 8pm. Access to the car park is via a telecom with the reception desk. Staff were all really helpful and friendly – we had asked them to put our ice packs in their freezers and it wasn’t a problem.

The rooms are simply furnished but clean and whilst they do not have air conditioning they did have a fan in the room to help keep cool which was appreciated.

We had dinner in the hotel bar area when we arrived and it was tasty with good portions (cost 89 euros for 4 including a few drinks each). Some seating was available outside with lovely view looking out over the river and a pontoon where some boats were moored. We hadn’t booked breakfast but we decided to eat it in the hotel as the dinner was fine the previous evening and really couldn’t have complained about anything. The service was good (could choose continental for 6.50pp or full Irish for 10 euro / 5 for the kids) – buffet style with plenty of juice, lovely pastries, cereals, fruit, toast, etc….. all you would need to start the day.

We only stayed one night but it as perfectly acceptable for a night or two.. if I was staying any longer I would chose a hotel with more facilities but that wasn’t the case and I was pleased with our choice for the night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review for the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, I am glad to read that you and and your family enjoyed all aspects of your visit to us, our location in the City makes it an excellant base for visiting the South East of Ireland and exploring all the wonders of the Viking Triangle, Geo-Copper Coast Park, Hook Lighthouse and much more.
Thank you for downloading the pictures the weather looked beautiful.
Looking forward to meeting you all again during your next visit to Waterford.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I'm not sure people are reviewing the same hotel we tried to stay in. Traveling for our honeymoon we arrived and checked into our room. First sign of a problem was a stale smell and ash from a cigarette on the windowsill. I though it could be resolved by leaving the window open while we toured town. No such luck, we got back and it still smelled like smoke in the room. We also had to close the window because someone was smoking directly below the room. It was very warm in the room so there was no way we could sleep with the window closed. We called down to the desk only to find that they were booked and couldn't do anything about it. At that point we started looking at other hotels. The only upside was that the front desk called a few places for us. We ended up with a much nicer room in the Tower hotel for a slightly higher rate, but totally worth it. Very frustrating that we had to get packed up and move though, especially after a long day of traveling. Certainly not what we expected after reading the other reviews.

In addition to the smell, the room seemed unclean. For US travelers I would put it one step above a Motel 6. Basic and not quite clean feeling.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sandpiper999

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, I was aware that did not enjoy your time with us and felt it neccessasry to check out, this is not a common occurance and I am very sorry that the hotel was full and therefore we were unable to move you to another location. I hope you both enjoyed the gift we had delivered over to you as way of an apology for the shortcomings you experienced.
I would like to assure you that the room was clean we have a very strict policy in place for turning our rooms around and also I would recommend that US travellers take a look at our website to verify our amenities versus a Motel 6 property to decide for themselves where we are with them.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night with our 2 kids. The hotel was lovely and room was clean and spacious. Staff were friendly at check in.We only had breakfast but this was excellent. Would recommend hotel but wish I could have stayed longer. Will hopefully return.

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for writing such a lovely review for the Waterford Marina Hotel on Tripadvisor, we are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your short stay with us and I hope that you can stay longer to do more exploring on your return visit.
Your recommendation is very much appreciated by us all here.
Karen and all the team

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is nice enough and what you'd expect for three stars. The bed was okay, shower was average, and the television was old. Of course we aren't on holiday to watch t.v., so not a big deal. Overall it was clean and mostly quiet. Breakfast in the restaurant in the morning had typical choices and quality. As we've found all Irish people, this staff was helpful and friendly - surely the highlight of the location. Being on the river is nice, but I wouldn't say it is scenic. The location being on the edge gives you a short walk to the sites in town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience in the Waterford Marina Hotel with Tripadvisor readers, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, I appreciate you taking the time to put up photographs to show your room and views. I hope you both enjoyed the rest of your break away and look forward to meeting you again in the near future.