Granville Hotel
Waterford Marina Hotel(Waterford)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$152
Dooley's Hotel Waterford(Waterford)(Great Value!)
US$128
Agoda.com
Woodlands Hotel(Waterford)
US$94
1,480 results
All reviewsporridgeirish whiskeyold world charmhistoric hotelold stylecie tourthe riverwonderful hotelthe hotel managerwaterford crystalthe pubbreakfast was excellentviking trianglecar parkfull irish breakfastbar foodhotel bar
Reviewed 8 October 2007

The Granville Hotel was a pleasant surprise from the moment I stepped under its wrought iron and stained glass portico. The hotel looks like a set from the show "Dark Shadows" back in the seventies and I loved it, though others might find it dark and gloomy. It has multiple stairways with boldly patterned carpeting and carved balustrades and everywhere are ornately framed mirrors, paintings, and heavy draperies. The assortment of furnishings in the public areas runs the gamut from Edwardian gilt to Victorian, to Neo-Jacobean. There is a network of corridors that seems to be endless and some rooms can be hard to find, but all of it is playfully enjoyable and a bit different from the average hotel.

One elevator services the entire hotel, so after a short wait, I reached the third floor and began the search for my room...the hallway steps up; it steps down; it steps back up again; it takes corners; it goes through fire doors; and finally takes a right turn and I'm in a heavily draped corridor where my room is located.

I opened the door and found a small room (maybe 12' x 12') soft pumpkin colored carpet, a beautifully draped bay window with a pair of Louis XV style fauteuils, a tea table, desk, night stand, and small chest...the double bed had four fluffy pillows and a white jacquard bedspread. The overall effect was bright and cheerful with a color scheme with a sense of humor. Some of the prints on the wall seemed to date back to the Victorian era. There was an ash tray in the room, but no smell of smoke, thankfully.

The bath was completely tiled with a corner marble vanity and good mirrors. The bath area is tiny, but hot water was good and there was a small blow drier, good towels, and French milled soap.

Downstairs, the pub was huge with lots of furniture that looks like it might have been tossed out of a dice cup...service was excellent and cheerful. There were stained glass windows and decorative elements from many ages. Breakfast was served in the hotel dining room and was a plated affair of fried eggs, sausage, irish bacon, white and black pudding, and roasted tomato. A buffet table with juices, pastry, cereal, fruit, and Irish oatmeal was available on the side. Breakfast overall was good.

The location of the hotel is wonderful - right on the Quay. The main shopping area of Waterford is on the hill above and can be reached easily by taking a left upon exiting the hotel and another left just down the street. I found four delightful restaurants by turning right upon leaving the hotel and proceeding down the quay three blocks to Kaiser...up the hill and just to the left on High Street was an Italian place, a Wine Bar with Contintental food, Chinese, and Indian...I ate at the Indian place...excellent food at good prices. There appeared to be locals in all of these dining spots, which is always a good sign.

Overall, I have to say that the hotel is charming place with an odd melange of styles that feel more like Gothic Belgium than Waterford, Ireland. It's at once strange and wonderful and I'd recommend the place to anybody. The desk staff is super and the hotel manager went out of her way to wish us welcome with a free glass of wine to everybody on the trip. I really had fun at this place and would seek it out if ever in Waterford again!

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank redeco
Reviewed 24 August 2007

Like the previous contributor, I thought twice about cancelling the hotel after reading some of the reviews. I'm glad I didn't. My Wife and I stayed here on our Wedding Anniversery weekend and found the hotel to be great. The check in was good. Staff were very friendly, the rooms were spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and the bar downstairs was large and very atmospheric. One thing that I find is a good gauge of an hotel is if Bus Tours stop there. Generally that is a good sign and the hotel was full of American visitors. I wasn't too impressed with Waterford as a town though as there was not a lot to do. But a good tip would be to eat at Mai Tai (Tai Restaurant) 300 m North of the Granville Hotel on the Quay side. Fantastic meal, great atmosphere and staff are fantastic. Yeh, the Granville is definately a quality hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ArmaghArmagh
Reviewed 24 August 2007

The Granville has old world history and character, something that is increasingly hard to find. This is why I primarily give the Granville an "excellent" rating. I'm fed up with bland hotels, with every convenience but no storeys to tell! Apart from history, the Granville has nice, well maintained rooms and good showers - something many of the older hotels struggle with. It is also well-located, in the heart of Waterford.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank MrEnergy
Reviewed 12 June 2007

After I book the hotel, I read the reviews. I was going to cancel my booking but didn't.. I'm glad that I didn't... I found the hotel charming friendly staff and no smell of smoke.. I just wish I would have read about Waterford town.. Only thing there is the crystal factory and a great old pub -Doolans..

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gibby11
Reviewed 8 June 2007

This hotel is fine in a formal but not very relaxed way. The location is very central and only a few minutes walk from the railway station. I found my room to be pleasant and decorated in olde world style seldom seen outside of hotels. The restaurant seemed very formal and not a place to go for a casual meal. The bar only serves food until 7pm-which strikes me as more than a tad early.

I never really took to Waterford. A stroll around the place in the evening found it deserted apart from teen hoodlams and shady characters.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank GRIFFYGB