“Perfect location & excellent value”
Review of Granville Hotel

Granville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Stayed in the Granville for 3 nights whilst visitng Waterford for a family occassion. The staff were friendly and efficient. The lady on reception who checked us in was extremely nice. I enjoyed the breakfast - especially the scones and our package included an evening meal. I enjoyed it all but I just have to mention the desert - I haven't tasted a crumble like that in ages. It's a pity we happened to be seated in a part of the restaurant where a large group were as it became pretty noisy.

The twin rooms were comfortable enough, although my sister's was more spacious than mine. My only complaint would be the bed was too soft, the mattresses in need of change. However I do think they are in the process of refurbishing as the rooms next to ours were being done up. Oh and another thing - using the ironing board was rather awkward.

My sister's husband forgot his wedding ring in the room when we left but we phoned as soon as we realised and he returned a couple of days later to find it awaiting him in reception. Thank you

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Thank you for noticing some of the things we are doing to enhance our visitors experince and for mentioning the excellent value we give. You also mention our scones and crumble which along with many of our dishes are all homemade. Our kitchen team will be pleased.As will all our staff who will read your comments.Sorry about your mattress but as you also mention we are in the process of refurbishing and I am sure they are next to be done as we are ongoing with this work. Once again thank you for taking the time to write and hopefully you will return sometime.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,391)

Reviewed 1 June 2011

This hotel was a gem. The rooms are so quaint and beautifully decorated. They remind me of Pre World War II decor. We had a double bed and a single bed, sitting area and a nice bathroom. The hotel is conveniently located. You are within walking distance of shops and restaurants. We ate both dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Both were excellent and the service was wonderful. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Really hope you do get the oppertunity to come back and stay at The Granville Hotel. Like all tripadvisor reviews they are passsed on to our staff and I am sure they will appreciate your kind comments as its there hard efforts maintain this hotel the gem you describe us as. Thank you for taking the time to write the review.

Reviewed 16 April 2011

Traveled to this hotel with our tour of Ireland. Our room was spacious - three beds!!! Two twins and a double, plus a large sitting area with couch and an ample clean bathroom with separet shower area. The hotel is old (the buidling dates to the 1800s) but is clean, has good internet and ample heat. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Check out the bar, which is quintessential Ireland. Our meals in the hotel restaurant were ample and fresh. Good solid Irish breakfast too. Hotel is located right on the river on Maegher Quay, which puts it in walking distance of just about anything in Waterford. Take a walk about 4 blocks away to Downe's Pub, and try their home brewed Whiskey - quite nice! Within walking distance of several other pubs that offer traditional music most nights.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Great you found time to write your review which we really do appreciate. Not only your comments about the Hotel but also those regarding our great location and the places you visited that were within walking distance. You have some nice memories of your stay at The Granville Hotel and Waterford and thank you again for sharing them with us.Hope you get the chance to stay with us again.

Reviewed 12 April 2011

Very efficient and pleasant bar staff (with SKY!). Complicated system of paying/not paying for car park arrangements. Food just average for a 4 star hotel and the wine list was disappointing. Luckily we were not in a front bedroom of the hotel when the local council resurfaced the road outside the hotel!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob531
Waterfordhotel, Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to write your comments. We are gratefull for all your comments.Our bar staff are delighted with your feed back. There must have been some problem with the TV in your room for which I must apologise for, as we do have BBC/ITV and SKY news in all berooms.The council were good enough to let us know about the resurfacing so that we could allocate back rooms.Regarding the car parking I will revisit how we explain how to pay and see if we can make it any easier. Again thank you and we look forward to returning to The Granville Hotel.

Reviewed 8 April 2011

I have stayed in this lovely hotel many times and just love it! I was there last January for 4 nights with my mother. My son lives in Waterford and I visit him once or twice a year.
The rooms area very good size and extremely comfortable with everything you need and I must say the beds are excellent very comfortable. Its in the perfect location. The staff were very helpful and the food delicious. Looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2011
Waterfordhotel, Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2011

Thank for that lovely comment and we look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

Treated my mother and mother in law for mothers day and they loved their stay at the Granville Hotel. The location is ideal, parking just across the road and shopping around the corner. From the moment we stepped into the lobby we felt special. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The rooms were fab and the beds were really comfortable.
We had dinner in the restaurant and as expected it was excellent as was breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyed our time and will be recommending this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2011

Your comments are very much appreciated and we are delighted everyone enjoyed their "Mother's Day "stay. Look forward to you coming back.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

Granville Hotel – 24th February 2010

Myself and my partner stayed at The Granville Hotel for just one night while visiting family in Waterford. The hotel is in a great position, close to the main shopping areas and tourist sites. Even though it is on Waterford’s main road along the quay, once you stepped through the doors, the hustle and bustle was left behind.

The hotel itself is very old, and decorated old style, with lots of grandeur. We stayed in room 230, right at the back of the hotel. There was a fire door and then our room. We had 2 other rooms close to us and that was it. The room itself was bright and colourful, it was yellow and blue. It was very big, and bathroom was very big also. We didn’t have any view, other than the rooftop of the bar and the other side of the hotel.

The hotel is very, very warm however. We checked in about midday and turned the heating off and opened 2 windows to try and cool the room down. After a day of sightseeing and visiting family, we got back to the hotel about 8.30pm, and when we walked into the foyer, it was like walking into a sauna. It was so hot in there. When we got to our room, it was worse! We had no heating on the windows were open for 8.5 hours at this stage and it was still very hot. Because of this, I slept very badly, as it was nearly too hot to sleep!! Even with the windows open all night, it was still unbearable first thing in the morning.

We arrived for breakfast about 9am. It was very quiet, with only 2 other couples there also. There are cereals, yoghurts, breads and pastries to choose from. The hot breakfast was cooked to order. However our coffees and toast were cold before the hot breakfast arrived. It wasn’t very tasty, and wasn’t piping hot either. I found the waiting staff were not as pleasant as the bar staff or receptionists.

Also, a little let down for this 4 star hotel, were all found in the bedroom. There was a dead bug in the net curtain, a broken window, a safe that did not work and the bathroom toiletries seemed very old and had a very strange smell from them, very far from the 4 star I expected! Thankfully, we had a pharmacy close by to buy shower gels from.

Also, we asked if there was any Wi-Fi in the room, and we were handed a cable to use. When I tried to connect to the Internet, I could not pick up the hotel internet, and we had to change cable. Again, this did not work, and my partner is a complete IT nerd and even he could not get it to work!! To be honest, in a 4 star hotel, I would expect wireless internet instead of cabled.

Over all, I didn’t feel the experience in the hotel was a 4 star service. I do not think I would return to the Granville Hotel. However, if you like an old fashioned, stately décor and a great location it might be for you.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2011

We very much appreciate and value the time you took to write your review and post the photographs. All comments are very much appreciated and are taken very seriously. There are so many components to a guests stay at The Granville which are also the expectations guests have, that when they are reached we have very happy guests. However if any one, or number of these components /expectations are not reached they can cause our guest the feeling one gets when their expectations are not reached. How high one sets those expecations dictates weather or not those expectations will be met. We here at The Granville do all in our power to ensure those hundreds of components are in place to meet a reasonable level of expectation. From your comments we reached them in some areas and in others we did not. For those we did not meet I am truly sorry and we will ensure that those we can rectify will be rectified. Again we would like to thank you and do hope you will revisit us again.