“Rude restaurant staff”
Review of Granville Hotel

Granville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Recently stayed at the hotel with my partner and found the hotel a nice, clean and pleasant place to stay. However, the staff in the restaurant were extremely rude. We went to the restaurant to have dinner before we left and despite the fact that the manager and waiting staff were coming to a table next to us to talk to a customer (who was clearly a regular) we were completely ignored. After about 20 minutes to half an hour of waiting my partner approached the bar to see if we can order and was old 'to take a seat, someone would be up to take our order'. The waiting staff were standing by the bar talking, there were only about five tables of people in the bar, and still no one approached us. After a further fifteen minutes we just got up and left. I couldn't believe how rudely we'd been treated. My partner is a manger in a restaurant himself and was highly offended. All in all it was a dreadful end to what was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C H
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

It can be fully understood how disappointed you were. Having had a nice stay, and thank you for your good comments about the hotel. To have been treated the way you were. I am truly sorry and please accept my apologies. We try hard and when our colleagues leave the hotel down like they did, we all feel left down. All comments are used to maintain standards and your comments have been circulated and I believe they will help to do just that. Would be good enough to send me the date and time this happened either on 087 9099620 or rhurley@granville-hotel.ie. Once again sorry and thank you for the review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed here in April 2012 and were delighted with its charm, the efficiency and friendliness of its staff, the quality of the meals and the impeccable cleanliness of the rooms, the very pleasant and inviting pub, and its excellent location. Don't hesitate to choose this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your kind comments. They are very much appreciated as is the time you took to write them. Your recommendation is very valuable to the Granville.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed in the Granville for 2 nights whilst visiting family in Waterford. The hotel is very comfortable, spotlessly clean and provides a good breakfast with plenty choice. It is centrally located on Waterford Quay and just a few minutes walk to the main shopping centre. The hotel staff were warm and friendly and this hotel would come highly recommended for anyone visiting the town. The bath towels smelled amazing !!!

Stayed: February 2012
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. Your comments are very much appreciated and delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully you will get to stay in The Granville in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

stayed a weekend in granville hotel great location few minutes walk from train and bus station all staff extremly helpful and friendly lovely restaurant. bar food excellent and good range of choices breakfast likewise. will definately go back.

Room Tip: ask for frontal view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fitzer59

Looking forward to welcoming you back. Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. Your comments are very much appreciated and delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Reviews are so important to us in helping us to maintain our standards.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We booked the special offer weekend rate with breakfast each day and one meal included - the dinner menu which was included was great and the restaurant was very relaxed with very helpful staff. The entertainment in the bar was great with a band playing both nights. It is also in a great location very close to the train station if you are not travelling by car.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Really glad you enjoyed your trip to Ireland and in particular your stay at the Granville Hotel. Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. Your comments are very much appreciated. Reviews are so important to us in helping to maintain our standards and it also helps other visitors decide where is best to stay. Perhaps you will get to visit us again.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Just returned from a 10 day tour of Ireland-what a beautiful country! We stayed at the Granville Hotel one night, a lot of character and warmth, not your cold, sterile modern hotel. The service was excellent and a real pleasure th visit a country where Americans are liked.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the inner courtyard, very quiet at night.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 553georgeatl
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Really delighted you enjoyed your visit to Ireland and to The Granville. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. They are a great help to us in operating the hotel and to those wishing to stay at The Granville Hotel.Your kind words are appreciated.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here in July 2011. It is a very well located hotel, on the quay side right beside the main shopping area and if you get a room at the front you will be over looking the river. One problem as with many of the hotels along the quay is that it is pay parking in the public car parks across the road. If you are a guest in the hotel you get a certain number of hours free but outside of that you have to pay and it can be pricey enough so you should take it into account when considering the prices of hotels in the area. When we checked in the receptionist was friendly etc. There is only one small lift, which is ok as long as you do not encounter a tour group or something checking in! We proceeded to our room, which was very nice, however, I had booked a double and this was a twin! I rang down to Reception and was told to come back down and they would sort it out. I really think that under the circumstances since it was their mistake they should have sent someone up with a key to an alternative room. In retrospect I should have left my partner upstairs while I went back down, but instead we both headed down with our bags. We met right into a tour group checking in so the reception area was bedlam! This further annoyed me about them not sending someone up to us, as they knew we would be meeting into this! They changed the room for us, but there was such a queue for the lift we had to take the stairs, which was hard with a heavy enough bag! The rest of the stay was uneventful enough, the hotel is 3 star standard and as it is one of the cities oldest hotels it does have charm that some others do not. The room we had was at the back and was bright and airy. The bar food we had was just ok; I had spring rolls which appeared to be bought in. The main problem we had was the sweltering heat in the room! Hotels I know are inclined to be hot but this was so hot to be honest I wasn’t sad to leave and head home. Showering was the worst part, within seconds of stepping out of the shower, as disgusting as it sounds, sweat was literally running down my skin. If you did not dry your hair straight away it would dry itself really quickly, which is ok, but I like to blow-dry mine and that in itself was hardship as the heat from that combined with the room in the heat was unbearable. Sleeping as a result was also difficult. We stayed for two nights and I suppose I should have asked for a fan, however, the weather despite the fact it was July was not all that warm, the first night was a bit close, but something seriously needs to be done with the rooms to cool them down! (It is not the continent unless there is a heat wave you don’t expect to have to ask for a fan in Waterford!). Apart from the heat I was happy with the hotel but I would not stay here again in a rush given other options solely due to how uncomfortable the heat was! (I really can’t get across well enough how unbearably HOT it was). IU am giving a poor sleep quality due to the heat, apart from that beds were fine etc!).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay other than the heat in the bedroom. If you recall the room number would you be good enough to email me with the number rhurley@granville-hotel.ie. I can fully understand the discomfort you experienced and am truly sorry. Had you made us aware of it at the time perhaps we could have done something to resolve he issue and given you a fan or changed rooms. However many thanks for taking the time to write your review. Your comments are very much appreciated. Reviews are so important to us in helping to maintain our standards.