“Beautiful Authentic Irish Hotel. Slightly seedy part of town!”
Review of Granville Hotel

Granville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Lagrange, NY
“Beautiful Authentic Irish Hotel. Slightly seedy part of town!”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

OK first of all, I dont mind a little seedy, so I did not have a problem with this part of town. I can see why other reviews stated this fact, as my mother did while we were there, but being in NYC frequently this was not an issue for me!

OK, the hotel was beautiful and has so many authentic Irish characteristics. Very nice and I would definately stay here again. Beds were a little old but rooms were appointed nicely. Bar was a nice pub style venue. The diningroom was very nice and offered a very nice traditional irish breakfast!

The city itself did not offer much in the way of tourism but I was only here one night so it was not an issue!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cerveza930
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. Hopefully you can get to stay at the Granville Hotel sometime in the future. Glad you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and that you found the hotel to be authentic and the bar and breakfast were all good.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2012

To preface this review, we had just come from the western part of Ireland (minus Galway), so not only was the hotel a disappointment, so was the entire city (much more gritty than anything we experienced in Ireland). We stayed in the town really overnight as a stopping point back to Dublin, but arriving at 17:30 (5:30p), we found absolutely nothing open and wound up eating at the hotel. Food at the pub was average pub food, so you really can't go wrong there. Recommended if you encounter the same situation.

The hotel is situated on a highly busy road, and if you're driving, you're have a difficult time finding a stopping point to unload. Here's the rundown:

Pros:
established, well staffed, always open, free parking (see Cons), lots of rooms, easy to find, easy access to motorways, decent on-site food.
Cons:
getting a little worn out due to high usage, parking is across busy street and only free at sleeping hours (til 11 or 12 I think), not as quiet.

Room Tip: Go for the breakfast included option, and be careful of the room they put you in (they put us in a t...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. We really appreciate your comments and are glad that you mostly enjoyed your visit to The Granville Hotel.
louisiana
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I booked a room at this hotel in April of this year for a stay on September 19th. I received an automated confirmation of my room reservation, then a personal confirmation from Amanda Walsh, the reservations manager who clarified my reservation with me when I had a question. I spent quite a bit of time researching for a hotel in Waterford to stay with my parents and my husband. This was the only hotel that I felt we would be comfortable in which is why I booked with The Granville. Two nights before we were to arrive in Waterford, I received a phone call telling me that they were so sorry, but they had overbooked the hotel and did not have rooms for us. What!!!! We were about to travel to a city in a country that we knew nothing about and didn't have a room to stay in and they couldn't have figured that out in the 5 months since I made the reservation??? They moved us to another hotel, Dooley's, and we were assured that Dooley's would give us a "nice" room for our trouble. Dooley's was an awful hotel. If the room they put us was considered a "nice" room, then I would really hate to see what the "regular" rooms were like. In addition to beds that rolled us into the center because they were so worn and rooms that were dimly lit only by tiny bedside lamps on the wall and a light over a desk, Tour buses loaded up outside our room at 6 in the morning, my parents are allergic to cigarette smoke and were placed in a "non-smoking" room that was located directly over the front door where all the smokers stand. It was a truly terrible experience and I am so disappointed that the people at The Granville have so little respect for their customers that they would overbook rooms. We had looked forward to our trip to Waterford and our stay at The Granville and sadly will never see this area again and will always have terrible memories of our stay there. The Granville thanked me for being so "nice" about everything, but after our experience in the hotel they moved us to, I will no longer "be nice" if this ever happens again. I have traveled extensively around the world, and this is the first time I have ever had this experience. Be forewarned that a reservation at The Granville, no matter how far in advance is not a sure thing.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank amysuet
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
We here at the Granville fully appreciate and can feel your disappointment. I can also assure we did not set out five months ago to cause you this disappointment. We got it wrong and are truly sorry and offer our sincere apologies to you and your parents. Sorry also that we can not make amends by having you stay with us sometime in the future. If we had that opportunity I am sure we would be able to show you how we do respect and appreciate our customers. Sorry that it is our fault that you will have such bad memories of your visit to Waterford. We one opportunity to impress and we failed. To compound matters, neither did you receive from the other hotel what they normally can deliver and for this we take the responsibility and again must apologies. I can only hope that you had better experience in Ireland and that you got to enjoy our country and the hospitality. Perhap’s one day you will forgive us for the mistake we made.
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My family and I stayed at the Granville on our trip to Ireland in August. We only were in Waterford for one night, but the hotel was great. Lots of charm and character, and great restaurant too. The room didn't have AC, which for me is usually a problem, however they provided a fan which cooled off the room very well. I would definitley return to the Granville!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Delighted to read your kind comments about how great the Granville Hotel was during your recent stay and that you would definitely return. Looking forward to having you back and when you are we have some rooms with AC that you could request.
Hayward, California
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed at the Granville on a tour on 20 September. Rooms were large, wi-fi worked perfectly and the dinner and breakfast were excellent. Wonderful site on the river. Loads of things to see in the area.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel- traffic in front.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. Your comments are very much appreciated and glad you enjoyed all there is to do in Waterford. Also thank you for your kind comments that the dinner, breakfast and bedrooms were excellent.
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I booked a room at the Granville in July for tomorrow night (Sept. 21st) as it will be our 10th wedding anniversary. I was going to surprise my husband. We ate out there a lot in the past and on a night out we always have one or two drinks there. Every Christmas Eve I go to the Granville with my family, aunts, uncles, the lot. You get the picture.
Today, the day before we were due to stay, I get a phone call to say they had cancelled our booking as they had overbooked and had tours coming in. I had absolutely no say in this. I was offered an alternative hotel but refused as this was the only hotel I had an interest in staying in.I was also offered alternative nights but with work and the fact that we had a hard enough job getting someone to stay at our house with the kids overnight as it was, this would not work.
We were then offered a complementary stay on a night of our choice.
This is just not good enough. We're obviously only a name on a computer and they couldn't care less.
Our anniversary has been ruined and I'm am angry and upset. Thanks, the Granville.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Bin der D
Your anger and upset is understandable. You know from using the Granville Hotel over the years we work hard to try and get things right. This time we made a mistake. We got it very wrong and are truly sorry. I hope you will use the complimentary overnight stay sometime as it is meant as a gesture of goodwill. I can’t now change what happened but if you would like to contact me directly I will ensure we will do our very best that you have a very nice time when you stay. rhurley@granville-hotel.ie
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Great old hotel in central Waterford, Ireland. Great rooms and great breakfast (breakfast provided). Our only real problem was with no electrical outlets in the bathroom, either 120 or 220 volts and no parking other than validation in the lot across the street and then only from 5:00 PM to noon. Because of these two complaints I have to rate this place as very good, otherwide it would get 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for the front street view rooms, the inner rooms have no view to speak of. This is an old proper...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. Your comments that we are a great hotel are very much appreciated and we nearly made it a five star visit. To the best of my knowledge we have electrical outlets in all bathrooms we also provide convertors if required, however I will have all bathrooms checked out. It should also have been explained that we could provide 24 hour parking in another car park near the hotel for a nominal charge. Hopefully to get to return someday.