“CIE Trip to Ireland”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Revere, Massachusetts
“CIE Trip to Ireland”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel on April 24,2014 with CIE Tours. Very warm welcome, service, food, accommodations all were 5 Star. The hotel itself is very clean. Very impressed with the hotel in general. The beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was a plentiful buffet with just about anything you want to eat. Really enjoyed my stay here & highly recommend it to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I come here a lot with family and everything I come back i like it that bit more!, I come to the Granville for a dinner and a drink and it's the best place in the city to go for a nice dinner at a great price. The staff are extremely friendly aswell as the managers etc, it's a cosy and friendly atmosphere in the bar and I always feel very welcomed in there, 10/10 for the Granville!

Stayed July 2014
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are just back from a weekend stay in this hotel. We could not fault one thing. The hotel is spotless and beautifully decorated. We requested a quiet room at the back as advised on TA and it was perfect. It was very busy while we stayed. There were two tour buses, a big local lunch trade and the bar was busy for evening food as well, but despite all that was going on, the staff made us feel like we were the only ones staying there. The attentive service was the best we have experienced in a long time. We had dinner in the restaurant the first night and it was very good. We ate in the bar the second night and that was just as good. There was live music Friday/Saturday night. What more could anyone ask for? This is a very well run busy hotel with staff they can be proud off. We are planning a weekend visit again next month.

• Stayed July 2014
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Wonderful old building with lots of character and charm.
We received a very warm Irish welcome from the lady on reception. The room was large with a big bathroom. All very clean and comfortable.
The bar area is very traditional and had a real buzz about it.
The breakfast buffet had a good choice of food, there was even whiskey to go on your porridge.
I opted for the 'full Irish,' it was huge! I couldn't manage it all but it was very nice.
Parking is opposite in the Clock tower car park which the Hotel pays for. We were only here for one night but would use it again if we went back to Waterford.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 22 July 2014

went to stay for an overnight with family in Waterford. Quaint hotel but the amenities that were needed were not there. Rooms very stuffy and no air conditioning. Provided us with a fan that wasn't adequate.Hairdryers that I have not seen in years that didn't work. Staff too busy speaking with each other and not attending to customers. Do not stay if you are looking for modern amenities.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank misoangry
Waterfordhotel, General Manager at Granville Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review. All reviews contribute to maintain our standards. Firstly I can assure I do understand and identify with you and want to apologies for what you experienced. The weather to date has been wonderful and above seasonal averages. This does unfortunately have a knock on effect in a building as old as The Granville. Rooms where we are unable to put air conditioning can be warm. The portable unit we have in each room are normally suffice except as during your stay we had unusually hot weather. Regarding hairdryers we are in the process of adding new more up to date and more powerful hairdryers in each room. I don’t know what room you where in but we have them in half the rooms already and hope to have them in all shortly.

I know all this did not help your enjoyment of The Granville Hotel and I am truly sorry. However what really disappoints me and my colleagues is your observation that

“Staff too busy speaking with each other and not attending to customers”

This is unacceptable and brings shame to all of us. We are all in control of how we behave and must always be aware of the how we portray ourselves to the customer. During your stay you did not experience what most of our guests get when they visit The Granville which is a high level of service and of hospitality. It’s what we are good at and strive to maintain. I have posted your review for all my colleagues to read and it is hoped it will act as a very harsh reminder to all of us how easily our actions can jeopardise the guest experience which in turn can jeopardise our business and in turn our jobs.

I sincerely thank you for your time and can only hope that you contact me directly as I would like to try and make amends for our short comings.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

just enjoyed a very pleasant weekend in a clean, well run , efficient hotel. Central location with old world charm. Good size room, appears recently refurbished...clean and fresh. Friendly and helpful staff. Good food but would have liked a more varied cuisine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sam B
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked an escorted tour for a 14 day journey around the perimeter of Ireland and Northern Ireland and stayed at this hotel for only one night, unfortunately. We stayed at more modern hotels with terrific walk-in showers, etc., but this hotel was old world and luxurious in its own way. The public rooms are club-like and comfortable. Dinner was very enjoyable and the service was unbelievable, actually, the major reason why I am taking the time to post this review. The service was quite attentive without being overbearing. We started with honeydew balls and whipped Bailey's cream. Our main was Irish stew (lamb) seasoned with thyme with sides of green beans, carrots, mashed potatoes, and browned potatoes. We had the tasty local bread, blaa (that's its name, not an opinion) and soda bread. My wife doesn't care for bread too much but enjoyed the blaa! Dessert was assorted ice cream, or one could have a fruit cobbler. The hotel is within walking distance to several shops and the Viking Triangle, a historic area. If I get to Waterford again, I will make it a point to stay here. Oh, and also featured was a lesson on how to make Irish Coffee, and how to drink it, which we did. Breakfast was also sumptuous with Irish oatmeal and full Irish breakfast, which we could not finish! The hotel dates from the early 1700s and is one of Ireland's oldest.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends