“Unique, beautiful location & excellent service”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Waterford Castle is exactly that but its also on a private island. The ferry over gives you the sense of escaping from the world and between this and the deer along the beautiful drive, lets you feel very special indeed. The building itself is lovely. The service from all staff members we met was excellent. I couldn't fault them. In addition we had a baby with us and everyone was more than accommodating.

Meals were very enjoyable. Breakfast was great with plenty of selection. The dinner option is prix fixe but there's an early bird option for 32.95 that was very good value for those who dine early (baby) or don't want to spend the full dinner amount.

Bathrooms were nice with big claw-foot tubs and the old style toilets with the raised tank. They work perfectly - no complaint here, it actually adds to the ambiance. Beds were comfortable. Rooms were clean and nicely furnished with antique-styled chairs etc. My only suggestion would be that some of the rooms need a little refurbishment in terms of keeping the wallpaper & other details fresh looking. Its worn in spots or there were scratches and marks on bedside tables etc. I would happily pay more per night if it were 'perfect' in this way.

It really is a singular 'experience'. The grounds were lovely for walking around with families and you could tire them out in this way. I will definitely recommend this to anyone visiting Waterford.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank WhiskeyGirlDublin
Gillian O, Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to give some feedback on your stay with us and I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay.
We have taken on board your comments on your room also and are always working to improve.
We hope to see you again soon!
Wedding & Events Manager

Reviewed 5 December 2011

Just back from a stay at Waterford Castle. There is no question that it is charming from the outset. It is set on a private island and can only be accessed via private ferry. The private driveway up to the castle is full of twists and turns and adds to the anticipation. We arrived around 5pm on a winters day so it was already dark and the Castle looked stunning, there with hurricane lamps outside the large arched doors and i can only describe it like "Hogwarts" ! (This is a good thing). The reception area is very informal, it is a desk in the main grand hall so it is unimposing as a reception which is nice, you do feel as though you are in someones home (albeit a very grand home). The fireplace and architecture are wonderful, the christmas tree was up when we went in and people were sitting around on the large sofas reading papers and enjoying music. We were shown to our room which was furnished inkeeping with the surroundings and the bathroom was very big with a central roll top bath. We got ourselves changed and went to the bar and enjoyed some drinks. My husband commented how utterly relaxing it was just sitting in the wing back chairs with the fire on and soaking up the atmosphere. We had dinner in the restaurant at around 8pm, the menu was a set price which we thought was great as we knew beforehand what we would be spending. Some of our choices included, curried parsnip soup, quail pie on a bed of creamed leeks (stunning and not heavy as "pie" often suggests), Shrimp risotto with parmesan, Fillet of beef with potted ox tail, haunch of venison with individual venison wellington, chocolate brownie with coffee ice cream and panacotta flavoured with rosemary. Sounds a lot, I know, portions were a fair size, not too big and certainly not too small, we received complimentary glasses of fizz as it was our anniversary. The staff were courteous and most importantly not intrusive which i hate. One girl in particular ( i did not get her name which is a shame as i would have mentioned her) was extremely nice and made us feel relaxed and at home. The room was light by lamps and candles and a gentleman played piano in the corner, I cannot fault anything about it as it was all just perfect. In the morning we went for breakfast and i underrstood the breakfast had won awards so I was looking forward to that. There was a good selection of juices, cereals, pastries etc and then there was the cooked option. I had full irish (minus egg and mushroom as i hate those), the bacon was unbelievably salty, that is no ones fault and the choices on the cooked menu seemed good, scrambled eggs with salmon through it and there was also kippers, a good selection. The only downside to the whole experience and it's not even a big deal but the difference in the attitude of the breakfast staff compared with the dinner staff was night and day. The breakfast staff (one older girl in particular) seemed asthough we were inconveniencing them by being there. She showed us to our seat and said she would be back to take the hot food order, she came over a while later and grunted "you want eggs or anything" which was the first thing i noticed then someone else was left sitting and had to ask her if they could order hot food and she kept walking past then and said "yeah just give me a minute", i know this sounds petty but she was obviously wanting to be someplace else. All in all the place was fabulous, tucked away, atmospheric, value for money, the only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is because there is no spa and i was so in the mood for a massage!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vadrefjiord
Gillian O, Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2011

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your wonderful review and all of your positive comments. Thank you also for your feedback on breakfast which will help us to improve the service that we offer. Happy anniversary and we hope to welcome you back for another relaxing stay soon.
Wedding and Events Manager

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Waterford Castle was a fabulous place to stay for a Family Wedding.
My Husband and myself were amazed at the splendour of the Castle as it came into view.
We were impressed with the food and would recommend visitors to dine at the Castle.
Some of the guests stayed in the lodges nearby, and they catered for themselves, but eating at the Castle for the wedding breakfast.
We had a standard room and found it was a wee bit small, a small fridge and tea making facilities would have been nice and I was surprised to find the room didn't have either, also the lighting consisted of two bedside lamps that did not throw out enough light for my liking The excellence of the place and views of the countryside were absolutely wonderful.
Would return again no problem.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,
We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and the wedding that you attended! We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.
Wedding and Events Manager

Reviewed 30 November 2011

I just thought has to write down my thoughts on what an amazing place this castle is. My family hosted a wedding there last weekend and from start to finish the staff could not have done any more for us. Gillian is a credit to the hotel and in fact should be bottled!
The location of the castle is magical as you are on your own island but its the extras that give it that special feel. The food the rooms the heat the cleanliness the whole vibe was just amazing. I cannot over emphasise how brilliant the place is and if you are travelling to Waterford you MUST check it out. Its a hidden treasure.......

Room Tip: I stayed in the Rose Room which was a large corner suite fabulous
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
waterfordcastle, Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your lovely comments. Im delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and hope to be able to welcome you again. Best wishes to the happy couple in their future together.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

The highlight of our recent trip to Ireland. My wife had tears in her eyes when she enterered our suite. She said it the type of castle every little girl dreams of living in. The staff was tremendous, the dining experience was beyond expectations. We will be back in fact we a going to send our daughter there on her honeymoon. You must stay here when in Waterford,it will help ease the pain of what you will spend when you go the the Waterford Crystal showroom.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
waterfordcastle, Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear Reviewer,
Its great to hear that your wife truely enjoyed her stay with us .Please let us know when your daughter is visiting so we can welcome her and her husband.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Second stay in Waterford Castle and still love this place (a year since our first visit). First time to eat here though and was so excited. We got the King and Queen deal which I highly recommend as you get dinner, breakfast and wine in room-fab! Dinner is quite pricey otherwise (though after eating here I can see why, its outstanding).

Was disappointed that the Munster Room was booked by a large group and we had to eat in the Leinster room but this was a nice, intimate room that was beautifully decorated with candles all over. We also got a lovely corner seat, we were well looked after. The waiting staff are outstanding as is the chef, the meal is a 5 course dining experience, I loved it. I've never experienced service like it, amazing. Also because of our disappointment with the timing of dinner we received a complimentary bottle of wine (delicious and a very welcome treat when we saw the pricey wine list!) In addition, they did up lovely bday plates as we were celebrating my boyfriends birthday. No candles, but hey! So yes the large group was annoying and put us out of the Munster Room but we had a wonderful time all the same (hopefully I will get back some time in the future and finally get to dine in the fab looking Munster Room!)

I would agree with some of the comments about the rooms and castle in general, second time around I did notice they could do with some more updating but I think they are in the process of it. I noticed some of the cream carpets had been replaced by darker carpets, good call. I pity the cleaners trying to clean cream carpets! There are still some stained carpets which don't look great so it will be brill when these are replaced. We received a complimentary upgrade to a suite which was fab (we never seem to get an upgrade!) Our room last year was a standard so was small but perfectly adequate. The Suir Suite we got this time was huge. I loved the wallpaper and matching curtains. Also the furniture is so gorgeous. I love the bathrooms, especially the claw bath. The couch in the separate sitting was a little worn and there was a stain on the arm but it didnt bother us as we didn't even use this room. The other only downside was it looked over the back of the castle and kitchen so the noise of the fans was a bit annoying. But we didn't want to say anything as we had been upgraded! Just sthg to bear in mind if a light sleeper. We were told the fans would go off at 9.30 but really it was midnight! If I had been paying for a suite tho it prob would have bothered me more. The windows in our suite could have done with a clean but there were lots of birds so prob hard to keep them clean. The windows are interesting and well preserved though.

These are all minor obervations but despite all these I would still highly recommend this castle and will return in the future I hope. I even got a voucher as a present for my sisters engagement and the girls at the desk were so helpful and gave me a good deal, I hope my sister will love it too! The setting is magical and the drive over and up the deer lined driveway just so cool. It's a great place to escape to and relax. Not a lot to do but we didn't come for a spa etc We came for the magical castle experience which we more than got. I adore the foyer room, it's just stunning. Pity a fire wasn't always on or tended to though! The bar is small but comfy and welcoming. I love the way they lay out the white linen, we had a nice lunch here.

Thanks to all the amazing staff, all the staff are a credit to the place. Hope to come back some day soon!

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear Reviewer,
Im glad that you enjoyed your stay with us for a special occasion and that you have returned to us. Thank you also for some of your less positive comments as it is critic like this that will help us to improve for when you stay again. Once again many thanks.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

The staff hear is fantastic. The rooms were huge. The suite could have easily slept eight people! Bigger than my first apartment! The beauty is breath taking. The food was the best! Just a grand place to stay. If your in Waterford this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear Reviewer,
Many thanks for your wounderful review of Waterford Castle. Positive feedback helps us to keep moving in the right direction.
Rooms Division Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Waterford Marina Hotel
#4 of 12 in Waterford
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!