“Will definitely go back”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Will definitely go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I initially chose the Castle because it seemed like an idyllic and perfect place to propose. I was not wrong!
We arrived early in a taxi (which from the city centre cost about €13) which took us right up to the main door. Despite being nearly 50 minutes early we were met by a friendly receptionist (Denise) who allowed us to go up to our room immediately. I had only booked a standard room and so the room size itself was not massive, but more than suited to a 2 night stay and the bathroom was magnificent. Everything was clean and well presented and finished to a great standard. We then went on a walk and I popped the question in a lovely area of the Island.
We had dinner that night and we were not found wanting. We were seated in the main room and were treated respectfully and attentively by some very courteous staff. Afterwards we wanted pictures and the same staff were very helpful in taking those for us, making us laugh and really getting some great shots of our special day.
The next day we had breakfast in the conservatory, which on a sunny day is magnificent. The food again was brilliant and made to order. We then went for a walk on the Island before hoping into town, this time catching a taxi from the other side of the ferry (cost - €10).
Waterford itself is beautiful and the people in it are much like the hotel staff and cannot be more helpful. The town is only a 5 minute taxi ride away, but you will need a taxi, however the taxi drivers are always lovely and will help you find places to know, go, or eat. (Geoff's bar is a must!). We returned back late at night and the ferry driver took us two foot passengers over the river on our own so that we didn't have to wait.
On our final day, again we had a magnificent breakfast and we left the hotel reluctantly. All in all a marvellous stay.

Our stay was magical and we lacked for nothing. Small things like writing congratulations on our dessert plate are the sorts of attention to detail that made an unforgettable trip. People like Denise, Francisco (Barman) and our Maitre D' could not have been more attentive and relaxed towards us. Thank you.

Room Tip: a "river vista" isn't necessary, the front facing views as just as lovely
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for sharing such lovely feedback with us. It was a delight to read your review and I look forward to passing your comments to all of my colleagues at Waterford Castle and in particular to the people you highlighted.
Thank you for choosing Waterford Castle and it will be our pleasure to have you return.
Derek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I spent three nights with my family in the lodges, the island is amazing really really beautiful, you can see deers every afternooon. The lodges are fantastic modern, luxurious and spacious. The staff are very kind and helpful. The ferry works really well you don't have to wait.
It's highly recommended. .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank monicac459
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for posting such a lovely review following your stay with us. We greatly appreciate the recognition and indeed your recommendation.
It was our pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to your return.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

We wanted to stay in at least one Castle on our trip to Ireland and after reading reviews decided on Waterford Castle Hotel. The staff was lovely and helpful throughout our stay. Breakfast in the morning was amazing--one of the best we had. However the beds and room furnishings left much to be desired. Between the old and uncomfortable beds, the wildlife and no temperature control in rooms it was one of the worst nights sleep we had.

1 Thank LindseyV746
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to post your review. We were very pleased to read of your initial findings with staff and food being complimented. I am sorry to learn of the discomfort you experienced with the beds and I am concerned that we were not able to provide you a good night's sleep.
Refurbishment is on going at Waterford Castle and I do hope that you will consider returning so as we could showcase the improvements that are intended.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

I visited Waterford Castle on Friday afternoon for a lunch which I had anticipated for quite some time. It was Good Friday and I had to argue with the receptionist that they were indeed serving lunches as I had called ahead to check.
We went into the bar and ordered from an extremely friendly and engaging waiter. However when our cod arrived, despite it looking great, it was possibly the most disappointing food I have had in a long time. I am fortunate enough to have eaten good food in many countries and was very annoyed that the standard of food here was so poor. The cod was cold and I asked for vinegar for my chips and some vinegar sachets were delivered to the table. I was amazed. Would it be too much to expect that some effort be made in presentation and that sachets more appropriate to the local chipper would not be put on the table for a lunch costing over 50 euro?
I ordered a plain ham sandwich for my 3 year old daughter and the sandwich when it arrived was a ham and Brie salad sandwich. Clearly not appropriate for a 3 year old. And for a sandwich costing so much, would it be too much to expect that the ham used is not packet ham as it clearly was?
I am from Waterford and have moved back to the area after quite a few years and I was looking forward to sampling good food in my home city. I can only say I was so disappointed when I had wanted it to be so good.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank pmur74
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. After reading your review I experienced the same sentiment that you also did, that being 'so dissapointed'. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the dissapointment you experienced at Waterford Castle. The initial reception as you described it is not at all befitting of what it should be and the food quality was simply not good enough. In relation to vinegar sachets, I was horrified to hear that you were presented with sachets and I do not think it is too much too expect a more enhanced form of presentation. I am giving your comments urgent attention and I do hope that you will consider returning as I would greatly like the opportunity to regain your confidence.
Waterford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

We had a family wedding at the hotel 15th March. What a wonderful stay we had there. Everything was brilliant - the Castle was the perfect, romantic setting, the food was good, the staff were friendly, the rooms we stayed in were warm and cosy, lovely walk around the island seeing deer the following day - As I said everything was brilliant, I would love another wedding there, anyone...

Room Tip: All the rooms were good
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 31 March 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you indeed for sharing your views with us. Your positive review makes us most proud and your description of everything being brilliant is very rewarding for all of us at Waterford Castle.
It was our pleasure to have you with us and we will look forward to having you return in the very near future.
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

Loved the castle on the Island! We walked the Island and saw lots of wildlife, the dinning experience was a perfect 10, and the rooms where amazing. We had the executive suite and the large window in the bedroom and sitting room looked over the river, we sat and watched hundreds of birds. The bathroom was large and clean. The staff where friendly and great. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for commenting on your recent stay at Waterford Castle. Your review was full of compliments all of which I will be eagerly passing on to all of my colleagues. Our Food & Beverage team will be most proud of the perfect 10 score!
We sincerely appreciate your seal of approval and we greatly look forward to your return.
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night break from the magnificent lodges we were so impressed by our lavish accomodation we opted to stay a 4th night .On arrival we were checked in very efficiently considering there was a private function on .Myself my parents and my 17 month little boy had ample room in the lodge open plan sittin room and kitchen meant my son had loads of room to run around and be a boisterous boy that he is :) .. normally in a hotel he gets quiet agitated .The lodge had 3 fab size bedroom with 2 ensuite all underfloor heating plentifull hot water couldn't fault it .Fire in the wall downstairs was toasty .The grounds are also fantastic had lovely walks and a fab playground for my son to play in .My partner arrived a day later and felt maybe I was slightly exaggerating but on arrival he soon realised they were every bit as luxurious as I had said .We had our breakfast on one morning in the hotel amazing selection all fresh to the table .. All in all it was such a fantastic break we feel utterly revived and shall no doubt return in the very near future. The staff are all extremely pleasant and very helpful .Thank you for a fab break .

1 Thank sarsjl
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. Your commentary was a delight to read along with being most gratifying for us. To hear that your 3 night stay turned into a 4 night speaks volumes for us. I was most pleased with your glowing feedback about our lodges and what they have to offer. I will look forward to sharing your recognition with all of my colleagues at Waterford Castle.
Thank you for a fab review and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Derek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,319 reviews

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!