“Superb food, an extra special location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
“Superb food, an extra special location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

The chef here takes special pride in sourcing ingredients from as many local suppliers as possible. Fish, meats and vegetables are all as fresh and flavoursome as can be imagined. These are transformed into superbly flavoured and beautifully presented dining experiences in a magical location. My wife and I have had the pleasure to eat here on a number of occasions, both with family, friends and work colleagues; we have always had a wonderful time, savouring the food, surroundings, dining room and bar areas. Hopefully we will have an occasion at some stage to stay in the hotel and experience the breakfasts too!

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for posting such a great review. We were delighted to read of your dining experience and I am positive that our chef will be most proud when reading your comments.
We greatly appreciate your seal of approval and we too hope you will have the occassion to overnight at the castle in the near future.
Derek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We spent two nights in Waterford in early March, courtesy of a voucher which was a gift for our wedding anniversary. The hotel is unusual in that it is on an island, and you reach it by a short trip on a ferry - no sooner on the ferry than off it again, but it gives the place a special feeling of being away from it all. We had both been looking forward to this break, after a two week long bout of flu, and the hotel did not disappoint. Our room was not huge, but extremely comfortable and well serviced every day. The windows are the original windows, with stone surrounds, which we were afraid might make the room cold, but the heating was on all the time and very efficient. Big fires in the hall and lounge/bar made it all very cosy, with lots of comfy sofas and chairs. Breakfast was very good indeed, and service overall was excellent.

We had dinner on our first night, it was absolutely delicious. The next day we went for a walk around the grounds, but the ground was very wet and muddy which limited us a bit. By the end of that day it was snowing heavily, and although we went into Waterford, we were back around 9pm, which was just as well, because some of the staff and two people who had been there for a meal were marooned by the weather later on in the evening.

On our first night, we went out for the evening and arrived back about 1.45am to see no sign of the ferry being in action at all. We thought it would probably go at 2am but nothing seemed to be happening. I phoned the hotel, there was no reply, then I phoned a number which is on the ferry noticeboard on the mainland side - it was answered straight away and the ferry came over at once. Our second night, it had snowed very heavily and the road to the ferry was completely covered, it was a bit nervewracking driving on and off, but we made it!

The hotel staff were excellent, all very friendly. When it snowed so heavily, I did rather hope that we might be stranded there and "forced" to stay another night, but sadly that did not happen!! I would highly recommend this hotel, and will hopefully return again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much indeed for your feedback. Your review has painted such a lovely picture of Waterford Castle and surrounds and for us was a joy to read. I am sure the snow fall added to the occassion and we to are sorry that you did not get snowed in!
We greatly appreciate the compliments and recognition you have given the staff.
Thank you for your recommendation and we hope that you will return soon.
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Was at a wedding here lately.
Food excellent.
Accommodation excellent.
Staff excellent.
Amazing place.
Will return here in the future.
Luxury at its best.
Well done all at waterford castle. Keep up the great work.
A+

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us.We were delighted to read such positive and complimentary remarks. To have the label of 'unforgettable experience' is most rewarding along with giving us a huge sense of pride.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I initially chose the Castle because it seemed like an idyllic and perfect place to propose. I was not wrong!
We arrived early in a taxi (which from the city centre cost about €13) which took us right up to the main door. Despite being nearly 50 minutes early we were met by a friendly receptionist (Denise) who allowed us to go up to our room immediately. I had only booked a standard room and so the room size itself was not massive, but more than suited to a 2 night stay and the bathroom was magnificent. Everything was clean and well presented and finished to a great standard. We then went on a walk and I popped the question in a lovely area of the Island.
We had dinner that night and we were not found wanting. We were seated in the main room and were treated respectfully and attentively by some very courteous staff. Afterwards we wanted pictures and the same staff were very helpful in taking those for us, making us laugh and really getting some great shots of our special day.
The next day we had breakfast in the conservatory, which on a sunny day is magnificent. The food again was brilliant and made to order. We then went for a walk on the Island before hoping into town, this time catching a taxi from the other side of the ferry (cost - €10).
Waterford itself is beautiful and the people in it are much like the hotel staff and cannot be more helpful. The town is only a 5 minute taxi ride away, but you will need a taxi, however the taxi drivers are always lovely and will help you find places to know, go, or eat. (Geoff's bar is a must!). We returned back late at night and the ferry driver took us two foot passengers over the river on our own so that we didn't have to wait.
On our final day, again we had a magnificent breakfast and we left the hotel reluctantly. All in all a marvellous stay.

Our stay was magical and we lacked for nothing. Small things like writing congratulations on our dessert plate are the sorts of attention to detail that made an unforgettable trip. People like Denise, Francisco (Barman) and our Maitre D' could not have been more attentive and relaxed towards us. Thank you.

Room Tip: a "river vista" isn't necessary, the front facing views as just as lovely
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for sharing such lovely feedback with us. It was a delight to read your review and I look forward to passing your comments to all of my colleagues at Waterford Castle and in particular to the people you highlighted.
Thank you for choosing Waterford Castle and it will be our pleasure to have you return.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I spent three nights with my family in the lodges, the island is amazing really really beautiful, you can see deers every afternooon. The lodges are fantastic modern, luxurious and spacious. The staff are very kind and helpful. The ferry works really well you don't have to wait.
It's highly recommended. .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank monicac459
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for posting such a lovely review following your stay with us. We greatly appreciate the recognition and indeed your recommendation.
It was our pleasure to have you with us and we look forward to your return.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

We wanted to stay in at least one Castle on our trip to Ireland and after reading reviews decided on Waterford Castle Hotel. The staff was lovely and helpful throughout our stay. Breakfast in the morning was amazing--one of the best we had. However the beds and room furnishings left much to be desired. Between the old and uncomfortable beds, the wildlife and no temperature control in rooms it was one of the worst nights sleep we had.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LindseyV746
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to post your review. We were very pleased to read of your initial findings with staff and food being complimented. I am sorry to learn of the discomfort you experienced with the beds and I am concerned that we were not able to provide you a good night's sleep.
Refurbishment is on going at Waterford Castle and I do hope that you will consider returning so as we could showcase the improvements that are intended.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013 via mobile

I visited Waterford Castle on Friday afternoon for a lunch which I had anticipated for quite some time. It was Good Friday and I had to argue with the receptionist that they were indeed serving lunches as I had called ahead to check.
We went into the bar and ordered from an extremely friendly and engaging waiter. However when our cod arrived, despite it looking great, it was possibly the most disappointing food I have had in a long time. I am fortunate enough to have eaten good food in many countries and was very annoyed that the standard of food here was so poor. The cod was cold and I asked for vinegar for my chips and some vinegar sachets were delivered to the table. I was amazed. Would it be too much to expect that some effort be made in presentation and that sachets more appropriate to the local chipper would not be put on the table for a lunch costing over 50 euro?
I ordered a plain ham sandwich for my 3 year old daughter and the sandwich when it arrived was a ham and Brie salad sandwich. Clearly not appropriate for a 3 year old. And for a sandwich costing so much, would it be too much to expect that the ham used is not packet ham as it clearly was?
I am from Waterford and have moved back to the area after quite a few years and I was looking forward to sampling good food in my home city. I can only say I was so disappointed when I had wanted it to be so good.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank pmur74
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. After reading your review I experienced the same sentiment that you also did, that being 'so dissapointed'. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the dissapointment you experienced at Waterford Castle. The initial reception as you described it is not at all befitting of what it should be and the food quality was simply not good enough. In relation to vinegar sachets, I was horrified to hear that you were presented with sachets and I do not think it is too much too expect a more enhanced form of presentation. I am giving your comments urgent attention and I do hope that you will consider returning as I would greatly like the opportunity to regain your confidence.
Derek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,302 reviews

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!