“Beautiful location, lovely staff, not ideal when wedding party is also staying”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 6 May 2013

My family stayed in Waterford Castle in April to celebrate my sister's 2nd anniversary as well as a milestone anniversary for my parents. From the moment we drove onto the car ferry to transport us to the island, we were extremely impressed with our surroundings and the beautiful location of the castle.

We stayed at the lodges which were really impressively designed with huge space for the whole family-5 adults and 3 children. The lodges were fully kitted out with towels, delph and dishes. The beds were very comfortable and each room had a lovely balcony.

The castle itself is beautiful, each room is stunning with a lot of the original features-it all creates a unique atmosphere that cannot be enjoyed in modern, contemporary hotels.
The walking trails are lovely-we even had the amazing find of spotting seven deer in the woods on one of the evenings.

Unfortunately there was a massive error made upon booking and I was not informed at any point during my several correspondence with the hotel that a wedding was taking place on the Saturday of our weekend stay.
I was informed of this fact only days before our arrival when I tried to book a table in the Munster Room restaurant. I was told that there was a wedding in the hotel so access to and use of the entire hotel was not possible from noon Saturday until noon on Sunday.
One of the main reasons for booking the castle was so that the two anniversary couples would have the treat of celebrating their anniversaries with a very special dinner at the renowned Munster Room. I had seen it recently on the Neven Maguire cookery show so we were keen to sample the food.
It meant that only my parents could avail of the dinner on Friday night as my sister and her husband stayed in the lodges with the small children. Their hope was to go for dinner on Saturday night. I felt very disappointed by this matter and even more so by the lack of compensation given to me. When I persisted on the phone, I was eventually told we'd be given a bottle of wine with dinner. I explained that we wouldn't have gone ahead with the booking if we'd initially been told that there was a wedding and that it would mean little of no access to the hotel's facilities.

Dinner in the Munster Room was excellent-the staff were very attentive, polite, chatty and ever professional. We were treated so well from our arrival, the receptionist even came out from behind the counter to greet us when we walked in. We were permitted to have a relaxed drink by the fire while we glanced through the menu before dinner and then when ready, our drinks were carried into the dining room for us.
The food was excellent, presented beautifully. My mum had the lamb which was the finest both of us have ever tasted! incredible flavour!
However, the meal was unfortunately let down by the fact that the main courses were warm-at best-when served. We all regretted not saying anything at the time, as we appreciated it was impossible for the chef to rectify this if he was unaware of our gripe. For such fine dining and fine prices, it goes without saying that the food should be hot upon service.

Overall, our stay was fantastic! We were well looked after, staff are so well trained and very polite and welcoming. The car ferry service is excellent and we never had to wait longer that ten minutes for a crossing. The location is beautiful and the grounds are gorgeous.
We will definitely be returning again but I will be sure to ask if there is a wedding there during our stay as it is really impacts negatively on the stay when the whole castle is shut off from the customers.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank curlysue9
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we appreciate the detail you have given us.
I would like to sincerely apologise for the error on booking and for the dissapointment you suffered as a result of this. I assure you that this will be addressed with a sense of urgency.
On a positive note I was delighted to read of your findings with the lodges along with the overall dining experience in the Munster Room. I agree completely that the food should be hot upon service. I will take this back to all concerned and act accordingly.
I am happy to hear that you will definetly be returning and we thank you for giving us that opportunity again.
Derek

Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed 5 May 2013

We stayed in the lodges on the island. They were beautiful, very well kept. we had 3 bedrooms and each of them were immaculate. the whole house was spotless. Beautiful scenery. it was the most relaxing and comfortable place we have stayed in. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing such great feedback with us. We were delighted to read of your findings with our island lodges and your compliments are most appreciated. The last line of your review stands out and is in essence a great seal of approval.
We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 4 May 2013

This is the best hotel I have ever stay in.
My wife and I were treated ever so professionally and with the height of care and respect.
At the same time one was made to feel totally at home, could joke and chat with the staff, yet they were always there to help, advice and assist in anyway they could.
From Linda's Warm Waterford Welcome one proceed to find this warmth in all the staff I had the pleasure of meeting

Room Tip: Heaven has no sides one is just glad to be there
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
A simple thank you for such a glowing review would seem inadequate but I would like to say a huge thank you from all of us at Waterford Castle. We all feel extremely proud to receive such compliments and may I say it was our pleasure to have you with us.Thank you for choosing to stay at Waterford Castle and we greatly look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

We recently returned to the Castle for our first wedding anniversary and it was really lovely to be back. We had the Ormond Room which is a large room with gorgeous views. The only noise that we could hear was the birds which is a lovely change! The food at dinner and breakfast was perfect (especially the lamb) and service was efficient and friendly as usual, especially Antonio who took time to chat. Our dessert plate even had a happy anniversary message on it which was a lovely touch and made us feel special. Hopefully we'll be back for our next anniversary.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to wite your review. It was lovely to read such compliments and we are delighted to hear service being described as efficient and friendly. I will happily be alerting Antonio to your kind remarks and we hope to see you on your next anniversary if not sooner!

Reviewed 3 May 2013

went to dear friends 50th birthday with afternoon tea just for the girls, it was fabulous and a real treat.staff were very friendly and helpful nothing too much for them,location in conservatory was just lovely.A great afternoon..

Room Tip: the only tip i can give people thinking about booking a night or two just book it or you will be dis...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We were delighted to learn of your Afternoon Tea experience at the castle and that your findings were positive. The staff will greatly appreciate the recognition you have given them and we hope that you will return for many more great afternoons. Please pass on all our very best and a belated happy birthday to your dear friend.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

You can't go wrong with booking at the castle. The staff is incredible; wonderfully attentive and kind. They anticipated our wants and needs without being intrusive. Our room was beautiful; a castle dream with modern conveniences. Food and service is excellent. The grounds well kept. We didn't want to leave "our" castle and definitely would book again on a future trip to Ireland.
I

Room Tip: Choose any room. They are all wonderful. Spotlessly clean with very comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. All of the staff at Waterford Castle will be so proud to receive such abundant compliments. Your review was most complimentary and we are delighted to accept your seal of approval. We will look forward to having you return and we too do not want you to leave "your" castle.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

We arrived early and exhausted from our overnight flight to Dublin and drive to Waterford. The staff was wonderful and as kind as anyone could be. The staff took our bags and parked the car and then led us to a beautiful fairyland room. We stayed to the Suir Room and it was large, beautiful and had a wonderful view. After a nap in a very comfortable bed, we wandered the beautiful grounds and then ate wonderful dinner. After a fabulous night sleep, we had Breakfast. The buffet before the hot breakfast was incredible. We were pampered from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. Staying in this castle was the perfect was to start our Ireland experience. I cannot recommend The Castle Waterford enough!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheila H

Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for sharing such positive and complimentary feedback with us. Your review was a joy to read and I look forward to sharing your comments with all of my colleagues ata Waterford Castle. We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and we greatly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Derek

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
#4 of 12 in Waterford
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#5 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!