“Beautiful place to stay”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Paradise Valley, Arizona
“Beautiful place to stay”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed at the Waterford Castle only one night on our recent travels through Ireland. We stayed at the condos apart from the castle. Ours was a modern three bedroom with three and a half baths and a full kitchen, fireplace. Very nicely appointed. We only wished we had more time to enjoy this property. The breakfast was very good...all of the staff friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again. The short ferry boat ride over was fun!

Room Tip: We did not stay in the actual castle so I don't know what the rooms would be like. However if y...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to post your review. I was delighted to read of your findings with our Castle Lodges and we are grateful for your complimentary remarks. It is very reassuring to learn that you would definitely stay again and we too hope that you have more time on that occassion.
Derek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Cork
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Stayed in a 4 bed lodge for the weekend. Houses are fantastic, very well laid out, beds very comfortable ! Lady at reception was very welcoming and helpful ! Had dinner in the golf clubhouse as there was a wedding in the castle itself. Food was very reasonably priced and tasted fantastic ! Will stay again, beautiful spot !!

Room Tip: Ask for a lodge that faces onto the gold course, the were deer wondering around !
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I was delighted to read your review and we greatly appreciate your compliments. I will pass your comments to the team at the clubhouse whom I am sure will be most satisfied with your remarks.
I am pleased to read that you will stay again and we look forward to having you back.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We arrived at Waterford Castle on 14 May in the afternoon. The lady on reception (sorry can't recall her name) was so friendly and such a delight. Great check in experience. We stayed in the Wedgewood Room and it is everything and much more than expected. Absolutely huge, and just perfect. A bottle of wine waiting for us as well as sparkling water.
We had dinner in the Munster room and the food was sensational and the wait staff were efficient friendly and again absolutely delightful. Our dessert also was decorated with 'happy anniversary'. Got back to our room and it had been cleaned and decorated with flower petals - wow.
Next day after a lovely breakfast we went for a lovely walk around the island and then played a round of golf in the afternoon. The lady in the Pro Shop was lovely as was everyone we came across.
Another beautiful fantastic meal the next night, fabulous wait staff, and again that night came back to the room and it was refreshed and cleaned and lavender put on the bed. We have travelled quite extensively and I must say the attention to detail and the little extras are something that I will remember.
We checked out on the 16 after 2 magical special days. The lady who checked us out was also really lovely and friendly.
Coming from Australia, castles are something we don't have, staying here for us was such a special experience and I cannot speak highly enough of the service, friendliness and wonderful people working at Waterford Castle, congratulations and a huge thank you for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Wedgewood Room was magnificent
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful feedback with us. Your review was such a delight to read with such compliments in abundance. I was most reassured to learn of your great check in experience and I will pass your comments to the lady in question who was Linda. It will be my pleasure to present your review to all my colleagues whom I am certain will be most proud.
I am delighted that you chose Waterford Castle and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Our sincere thanks for such a glowing review and a belated happy anniversary from all of us at the castle.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We travel a lot and stay in all classes of hotels, from inexpensive Budget hotels to Luxurious resorts. If you look at my reviews on tripadvisor you will see that I only give bad reviews if they are deserved. This one is deserved, so don't ignore it.

1. This was a terrible facility. It is horribly in need of a full renovation and repair. I recommend that you not stay here until the owners close the facility and totally renovate.
2. They advertise free wi-fi throughout the castle, but Wi-fi does not work except within 50 feet of the only router, located near the bar.
3. The heating system is archaic. The entire hotel is on one thermostat, and is not turned on unless it is VERY cold outside. Our room was terribly cold and the hotel gave us a very small, inefficient space heater to use, which did not help.
4. Lighting is minimal to poor in the guest rooms and the lamps were held together using adhesive tape. (yes, adhesive tape held the lamps together).
5. wood floors were worn, dirty and scratched.
6. There was no curtain in the bathroom; people outside could look in. The hotel had maintenance department install a curtain, but it fell to the floor overnight. We had to tape it to the wall using band-aids. The maintenance department arrives at 1pm each day and leaves at 5pm. No maintenance is performed from 5pm through 1pm the following day.
7. Bathroom sink was totally clogged closed when we arrived. Castle had maintenance come use a plunger to unclog the drain.
8. Carpeting is stained, worn and dirty in guest rooms and throughout the castle.
9. There were only enough electric outlets in the guest room for the few lamps and the TV located almost 30 feet from the bed. There were only three outlets in the room for our personal use.
10. The remote control for the TV did not work.
11. Cell service did not work in the guest room. Reception for cell phones only existed in the hallways and lobby.
12. The "Nature Trails" were boggy and wet. We did not know this and our shoes sunk into the mud before we saw the mud.
13. This was a terrible facility. It is horribly in need of a full renovation and repair. I would recommend that you not stay here until the owners close the facility and totally renovate.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CliffKol
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It was disapointing to read and I offer my apologies for indeed letting you down. A renovation programme has already been discussed and there are plans to execute this in the near future.
I have made notes of your points and we will be giving them our attention. However I must say that the fact that Waterford Castle is a 16th century castle we want to keep it's integrity and not bow to the world of modern technology. We would prefer to brand ourselves as a haven or retreat and in fact we would suggest forgeting about all the mod cons. I am sorry to hear of the wet and boggy nature trails - unfortunately Mother Nature was not on our side.
I do hope that you will consider returning to Waterford Castle and that the enhancements planned may be on view at that time.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This was my first night in Ireland and what an introduction, first the short ferry trip across to the island and then the drive to the castle. It is a different world and the island is beautiful. From the welcome on everything was great. Enjoyed my dinner and breakfast the next morning as I drove away wished I was staying longer.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful feedback with us. I was delighted to read of your experience of the island and was most reassured to learn that the welcome was great. I will look forward to sharing your comments with my colleagues at Waterford Castle and we sincerely hope you can stay longer the next time you visit.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We have stayed in the houses at Waterford Castle on four different occasions at four different times of year. We have eaten in the Hotel, stayed in the hotel, eaten at the golf club tried all the activities.

Our last trip was with a large group with children ranging in age 0-17. There was something for everyone. Houses are beautiful, extremely comfortable, spotlessly clean and within a short stroll of the castle and golf club. We will return.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We greatly appreciate your kind remarks and compliments in relation to our lodges. It is most gratifying to read that you will indeed return and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Myself and my wife stayed overnight in Waterford Castle on Sunday 07-05-2013. Our children paid for this overnight with B & B & evening meal + bottle of wine on arrival included. It was part of a 60 th. birthday present for my wife Marian.

This stay was paid for weeks in advance by my children. Bad idea, ie. paying in advance. !!

The hotel is a magnificent building / protected structure of great historical importance, however, it stopped there for us.

The castle is approached by ferry as it is situated on a small island. A very nice experience, ie. different to start with.

We went to reception to inform them of our arrival and everything was very welcoming and cheery, good start.

We happened to be a bit early so we decided to have a snack and a drink to tide us over until dinner time. We planned to stay on the island until departure the next day but this changed quickly.

There was no space in the bar area as every table had a reserved notice on it even though only a few patrons were present. Marian immediatly noticed the badly stained carpets in this area, something that carried thoughout the hotel, or at least in every carpeted room we visited.

We were shown to the reception area where we were seated opposite the reception desk. The carpet in this area was badly frayed and needed replacing.

From here we ordered our snack, the bartender took our order and his black attire was stained and quite offputting. [ Dress on other staff members noticed as being spotless throughout our stay.]

The order consisted of: 1 Gin and tonic, 1 pint of Guinness, 1 toasted ham and Bree cheese sandwich with wholegrain mustard and one open roast chicken sandwich on brown bread.

It begins here.

A. The Gin was ruined as the barman poured all the tonic and filled the glass to the brim. Incidently he continually did this as a matter of custom / habit with others. The second issue was the Guinness was actually warm, very warm, and disgusting, [ Assured later that the reason for this was the Guiness had been lying in the exposed pipework since the evening before and that was the likely reason, Yuck !!! ] The Ham sandwich had no mustard and the ham seemed like processed product, slimey, wet and very thinly sliced ! Assured later that it was actually off a joint, very strange if this was the case.
My sandwich was politely returned and I shared my wife's open Chicken, dry offering. We finished our drinks and thought no more about the experience until the receptionist, Linda, approached our seated area saying, I am half afraid to come near you !! Unknown to us the kitchen staff had informed her of the returned sandwich, later learned barman also up to date. No harm in this though.
Linda sat and asked about the returned sandwich. I clearly explained my / our dissatisfaction with the other issues and the next thing was she slid a form across the table for signature and enter my credit card details. No nothing, just so what !! We are, who we are, so to imply !!
Linda brought the bill for this occasional food and it was changed to read 1, Chicken sandwich and two minerals, ne reason for this change, just there you are now.
Couldnt get over this arrogance quickly. We never asked for or indeed wanted this matter to progress any further than just to take one sandwich off our billl, as it was returned to the kitchen. We drank our beverages.
The scene was set. As we moved to bring our case to the room, now know to us as - The Brown Room -
Linda grabbed the case from my wife's hand and proceeded down a corridor.

She presented us with a bottle of Merlot wine which my daughter had paid for, commenting if we drank this now we would be completely wasted for the afternoon.

Does anyone deserve this this sort of behaviour ???

The Brown Room: Definitely dont opt for this room by choice.

Bare, barassic room, literally nothing in it except a bottle of tap water and two dressing gowns and one sheet of paper stating the Bord Failte Ireland maximum rate for this room per person sharing is € 640.00.per overnight stay.

This is just bare faced robbery. One would need their head examined to consider paying this for what they claim is 4 star accomodation. I couldnt observe close to 4 star anywhere. Perhaps their rates are lower and this rate card had been in the room for some years !!!! American visitors beware.

The TV in the room came out of the Arc, picture very poor with very basic free to air chanels. Literally no choice, even if you could view it.

Again dirty stained carpets.

This room also directly overlooked the back yard where all the dirty linen and empty bar boxes were stored.

Tie backs on drapes missing, two single beds pushed to gether to make a double, windows that didnt open, fully accept at this point they are ancient, but they should still work.

The bathroom was another experience altogether. There was little toilet paper in the bathroom. My wife had to go to reception to ask why this should be the case and was told it would be looked after when she had a minute. This was done promptly by a very nice member of staff, foreign, however, the attitude didnt subside with Linda. This was an embarassing experience. There is definitely a Them & Us attitude in this establishment. Watch out for it if you visit. All is not what it first appears to be.

The floor in the bathroom was finished in ceramic tiling, 5 of which were cracked. This presents a danger to persons walking on this floor in bare feet. Imagine this, your feet cut to shreads if you make the wrong move.

Stoppers for sinks etc. were loose around the bathroom.

We had intended to stay on the island and in the hotel until our departure on Monday, however, we decided we would go back into Waterford City in the early afternoon and spend some time there until 7 pm when we would return to the hotel for dinner.

[ Basically a ruined vacation at this moment in time, hence this review.]

We did this and visited the Granville Hotel on the prominade. What a difference. Recommend everyone visiting Waterford to pay a visit.

We returned and dressed for dinner and were seated at 8. pm. We finished 3 courses including our mains at 25 minutes past 8 pm !!! Now if we wanted fast food we would have opted for Mc Donalds. This was completely insane. everyone around us had the same level of service, it was as if there was a staff party on at 9 pm !!!

Our first taster course arrived and no sooner had we put down the glass it was served in but the waiter was standing beside us with the Risitto second course. No sooner had we finished the Risotto when the mains were plonked down in front of us, hence the 25 minutes from starter to finished mains.

The waiting staff were immacutely dressed, no stains, and were very polite at all times. The meal was rated good but nothing too exciting.

Upon exiting the dining room I was asked by the head waiter / restaurant manager had we some issues earlier on in the day ?

I thought this very strange but stated we had an issue over the sandwich and the warm Guinness. He said the ham was fresh and the Guinness was probably warm from lying in the pipes from the night before !! NOW HE HAD ALSO RUINED OUR EVENING.

It It just went on and on.

Monday morning, after an excellent breakfast, we walked the grounds of the hotel and this was a release in some ways.

The staff serving at breakfast were a delight and couldnt have been more helpful.

We spotted a Heron nesting in the high evergreens to the side of the entrance.

I have never posted an adverse comment about any establishment before now. I may have caught them on a bad day, perhaps they caught us on a bad day !! In any event we will not return to Waterford Castle anytime soon.

Please note: The corridor walls are plastered with awards of every description inc. Trip Advisor.

I understand the hospitality industry in my country has been struggling for some years now to survive, therefore, it is with some considerable reluctance I write this review.

Overall our experience with Waterford Castle has been unfortunately poor. I fairly put the blame for this on the shoulder's of management and not the staff trying to do their best on a day to day basis.

I would also like to bring to their attention the very dangerous condition of some partially fallen trees on the estate, most beside the main entrance and driveway up to the hotel. I noticed several in a very precarious situation. Children would be drawn to these like magnets with unmentionable consequences should they decide to play around and climb here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 03021949
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for providing us with such detailed feedback following your recent stay at Waterford Castle. As you may imagine it is a very dissapointing read for us.I have given your review my immediate attention and indeed have investigated everything thoroughly.
I would like to offer my sincere apologies for letting you down. I would like to assure you that the Castle is due for refurbishment in the near future where we will address areas that you have mentioned. With all due respect to your review, I feel that the comments made in relation to the drinks was down to bad communication on our behalf and the stain on the attire was an unfortunate work accident that we could not attend to.I have spoken with Linda at length in regards to your review and she informed me that you wanted to draw a line under the sandwich issue. I can candidly say that any remark made in relation to the consumption of the Merlot wine was nothing less than light hearted humour. I am dumpfounded over the allegations of arrogance and the "we are who we are" comments directed towards Linda. I would honestly say, without a shadow of a doubt that this is not the service standard that Linda offers. I would consider her to be one of our most professional, personable and welcoming staff members. I stand by her professionalism completely and feel that this is a misunderstanding.
If I may comment also on the dinner service. I do believe that even if we attempted to outdo Mc Donald's in a fast service race we would never achieve the time of 25 minutes mentioned.
Again I must aplogise for the fact that the "wound" so to speak was opened up again with the comment upon exiting the restaurant in the evening. I can assure you that no ill intent was evident rather a follow up as an apology.
In relation to the room rate the rate of €640 is pertaining to a scale of maximum charges and this rate is applicable to our Presidential suite. These rates are required to be displayed by Failte Ireland. I completely agree with you that one would need their head examined to pay this for a standard room.Our rates at the Castle start from €79 per person B&B.
May I say that the water in the room is our own bottled still mineral water and not tap water. We have our own water purification system that a lot of other hotels use.
On a positive note I was pleased to read of your experience at breakfast service and thank you for the compliments.
You mentioned that you may have caught us on a bad day or perhaps we caught you on a bad day and that the hospitality industry is struggling. I believe excuses cannot be made and the experience should be perfect at all times.
I was not sure as to the relevance of your comment about the Granville Hotel as the review was on Waterford Castle but I will take your recommendation and visit to see what we can improve on. Upon reading that you will not return anytime soon, I have taken a positive from that as you did not mention that you would never return. I do hope we will have a second opportunity to welcome you back to the Castle and upon that occassion we can display the improvements made.
Derek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,337 reviews

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!