Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Waterford Marina Hotel(Waterford)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$152
Fitzwilton Hotel(Waterford)
US$185
US$175
Dooley's Hotel Waterford(Waterford)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$100
US$93
Agoda.com
1,364 results
All reviewsmunster roompresidential suiteprivate islandcar ferrygolf clubdriving rangeself catering lodgesclaw foot tubfairy taleround of golfsitting roomfamily weddingold worldfrom start to finishsconesfollowing morningtop class
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I was taking some family and friends on a tour of Ireland, and I really wanted them to have a special night when we first arrived. We came by Irish Ferry from Pembroke, England via Rosslare. A private ferry takes you to the island where the Waterford Castle is located, and then you follow a tree lined, winding road into the property, arriving at the beautiful castle draped in ivy. We received a warm welcome from the staff, and then were shown to our amazingly authentic, comfortable and castle-esque rooms. We had a wonderful meal in the dining room - our server was charming, efficient and entertaining. After dinner we took a brisk walk on the grounds, and then returned to our rooms for a great night's sleep. The only hard part was having to leave the next day. Compared to other castles in Ireland, Waterford is a great deal.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GraftonSpaGuy
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for posting such lovely feedback. Your review was a delight for us to read and your caption of "exactly what we were looking for" speaks volumes for us. I feel most proud to be associated with the mention of warm welcomes and wonderful meals and it will be a joy to share these comments with all of my colleagues.
We really appreciate your wonderful recommendation and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Waterford Castle some time in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stayed here in August 2013 when we were doing a driving holiday of Ireland. What a special place, set on its own little island away from everything else. Our room was nice and quirky at the same time. It really felt like you had stepped back in time but with all the modern amenities. We had taken a special package offer which included dinner, bed and breakfast and a bottle of wine on arrival and were very pleased with everything. We had dinner in a smaller more intimate room because there had been a wedding in the larger room but this was just as lovely as both the décor and dinner was of a high quality. The outdoor gardens and walks were also beautiful to take advantage of.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TJDJM

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to share your opinion. I was delighted to read of your experience at Waterford Castle and to hear it described as a special place is indeed gratifying. I am glad that you found modern amenities married with old charm at the castle.
We most appreciate your seal of approval and look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

The setting for this little gem of a castle is certainly part of the package - starting with the short ferry trip over to the island and the drive up the tree-lined driveway, with deer in the fields alongside. When we arrived, our room was not quite ready, but we were made very welcome by the staff at the reception desk and offered tea while we waited. Throughout our whole stay, we found the staff very professional and attentive. We ate in the dining room and the meal was absolutely delicious (possibly the best we had in Ireland or tied for it), each course was beautifully presented and the service excellent. Our suite was roomy, the bathroom was fun with its large clawfoot bathtub and cistern toilet, all decorated with flowers, but things were a bit worn and the bed could use a new mattress. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, including walks around the island, and it was the staff (special mention to Antonio and the young man in the Fitzgerald Room Bar) who made us feel we would like to return again. Extra special mention to Katie, who when asking us about our stay, went above and beyond to redress a problem - she really made us feel our comfort was top priority!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might want to ask for a room away from the exhaust fans for the kitchen.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank February78

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I was delighted to read your review and we are sincerely grateful for your abundant compliments. It will be my pleasure to pass on your recognition to the staff that you have mentioned.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Waterford Castle in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We got married there September 18th, 2013. We planned this wedding all the way from California! I don't even know how to put into word how wonderful our time was there. But I'll try my best!!
From the day I started my planning from just emails, till the day I arrived at the castle, I was always treated perfectly! Mirka and Gillian were so helpful!
When we finally arrived there we were greated with smiles and hospitality. From there on everything was 100% from all the staff. We have never felt so good in a hotel ever!!! Our wedding was perfect, and our stay was perfect!! Mirka even personally went out and found us ribbon for our ceremony. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. I wish I could have written down the names of everyone, but we want to thank everyone there at Waterford castle for making our dreams come true, and providing us with the perfect memories that will last us for our lifetime!! Thank you Mirka, Gillian, Antonio, Fiona, Amy, Katie, and everyone else that helped us with even the smallest of details!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Bethylake

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. To hear that Waterford Castle was instrumental in making your dreams come true is indeed the highest of reward for us. It was our pleasure and privilege to host such a special occasion and we hope that your married life together will be all that you hoped for.
I look forward to sharing your comments with all of the people you have mentioned whom I am sure will be most proud of such feedback. Thank you for such a strong recommendation and we greatly look forward to welcoming you back.
Congratulations again and very best wishes from all of us.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

This lovely little hotel does suffer by comparison to other Irish castle hotels like Dromoland and Ashford, but it is a nice place to stay. It is relatively small and a little tatty around the edges, but the staff is friendly and helpful. Taking the ferry across to the island was convenient enough. I stayed in the Stack Room, which was very comfortable with a view of the water and a spacious bathroom that contained great soaking tub. The grounds have some pretty walking paths, and the bar and breakfast were both quite good. Things that could be improved: I wish they wouldn't let cars stay parked at the front of the hotel; it spoils the ambiance quite a bit and makes it impossible to take good photos. I was unsure whether I was allowed to explore other areas of the castle when I was there, and so felt uncomfortable exploring the interior beyond my own room and the nearby corridor, which was a little disappointing. Overall, I enjoyed our stay, but if you're only going to stay in one castle while visiting Ireland there are better options.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laene
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I was delighted to hear that overall Waterford Castle is a nice place to stay. The two properties that we are compared to are indeed superb 5 star establishments. Waterford Castle is a 4 star property but I assure you we would strive for perfection and aspire to standards of the two properties mentioned.
I completely agree with your suggestion of not having cars parked outside the castle and we will look to remedy this going forward. I am sorry to hear that you did not get to explore other areas of the castle as all areas would be available to view.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I certainly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.