“Excellent Hotel - Houses on the grounds are beautiful”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin
“Excellent Hotel - Houses on the grounds are beautiful”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

A group of us (Girls in our 20-30s) got a discount voucher to stay in one of the houses on the grounds, we really had no idea what to expect but we were very impressed, even the boat over to the island is a nice touch, the Island feels untainted and private, the houses on the grounds are really fab and modern and decorated to the highest standard, only bug barer was the prices in the hotel we though it was very expensive, we also got food out of the golf club one evening and we were able to collect it and bring it back to the house staff were quite helpful and did plate everything and tinfoil it for us to take it away which I believe they generally don't do. Would we stay again absolutely!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to express your views. I was delighted to read of your impressions of the island and it is lovely to hear that you were indeed impressed. We appreciate your compliments in regards to our lodge accommodation and we are most grateful for your recommendation.
To hear you would absolutely stay again is music to our ears and we sincerely look forward to having you back.
Derek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Unlike a lot of Castles in Ireland which are now hotels, all rooms here are in the Castle, rather than in a modern block of bedrooms. Staff were very helpful. We requested sheets and blankets rather than a duvet, and this request was acknowledged by email but not carried out. The person doing the Turning Down left the sheets and blankets in the room, appears making up the bed was beyond them. Breakfast was lovely, freshly cooked to order, good secition of cold items on the Buffet also. Very good value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to post your review. I was pleased to read that the castle held an "olde worlde" charm and that staff was found to be helpful. I must apologise for not fulfilling your request for sheets and blankets. I can assure you that making up the bed is not beyond our turn down attendant. It seems that we are responsible for inadequate communication in resolving this issue. On a positive note we are grateful to hear your compliments in regards to breakfast and it is reassuring to hear the words - very good value.
We do look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Michigan
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My wife, daughter and I were traveling in Ireland this November and had an open day to visit the Waterford Crystal factory. We stayed so long that we needed a place for the night and found this wonderful place - the Waterford Castle Hotel. The staff was very helpful and pleasant and provided excellent service. Our breakfast in a wonderful castle dining room was a special treat. Thanks to all at the castle.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer
Thank you so much for such lovely feedback. Serendipity has such a lovely ring to it and I am indeed delighted that this was what you found. I am most pleased to read of helpful and pleasant staff coupled with excellent service.
Thank you for choosing to stay at Waterford Castle and we will look forward to your return.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We had the most lovely experience at the Waterford Castle Hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. The staff was gracious and attended to our every need. We had breakfast in a beautiful glass enclosed dining area and the food was had lots of wonderful choices. The grounds surrounding the Castle are lovely and so is the golf course. Getting to the island by ferry, just adds to the charm of the experience. The Castle lent itself to a Downton Abbey type of experience for me.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. As I read your comments I was most pleased with the content and we sincerely appreciate your compliments. It will be my pleasure to share your review with all of my colleagues here whom I am sure will be most proud.
We do hope that you will return for more of the same in the near future.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent the day driving around the city and then headed for the ferry. As we drove up the lane and saw the castle I think we both let out a sigh at the site of this beautiful landmark. We parked the car and took a short stroll since it was dusk. We went to our room to get settled. It was a sweet nice size room with a wonderful view of the front of the property. There were two large sets of old windows in the room that opened so we could let in fresh air. The bathroom was a good size with the deepest claw foot tub I have ever seen. It did have a old water closet for the toilet and that was challenging at times. We enjoyed hot coca by the fire in the main hall. For breakfast we had fruits, nuts, seeds, and ordered Irish pancakes. They were very similar to crapes. We really enjoyed our one night stay and actually didn't look forward to traveling on so soon.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for such lovely feedback. Your review was a delight to read and in particular the introduction of "Fairy tale stay" is most pleasing. We sincerely appreciate the many compliments through your review and I greatly look forward to sharing them with my colleagues. It is most rewarding to hear you enjoyed your stay and indeed that you were not looking forward to travelling on!
Thank you for choosing to stay at Waterford Castle and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I booked a reservation for one night for the castle. Nights before the stay while I was in dublin they informed me that a huge wedding was going on and that I would be staying in the self catering lodge. these lodges were completely hidden and modern. also we weren't aloud to eat in the castle we had to eat at the gulf club with basically was not a dinner place. The service was terrible while i was reserving y trip the lady on the phone was rude and wouldn't answer my questions just repeated the something over again. I am not saying the lodges were bad I just wish they were like the castle, more old fashion and not impossible to find. Overall this is not my place to stay I was so excited but the Bad service and not warning me about al these switches made me very very very frustrated at the place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank lisa m
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I was very disappointed to learn of your experience and I apologise for letting you down. I am very concerned to hear of rude staff as this is something unheard of at Waterford Castle. This will be investigated immediately.
I am sorry that you did not get to experience the castle and I do hope that we will have the opportunity in the future to set that right and indeed regain your confidence.
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We visited Waterford Castle Hotel in Nov of 2013 for one night. The food in the dining room for dinner was exquisitely presented and of high quality and taste. Live music provided on the piano enhanced our enjoyment. Our room overlooked the service entrance and then out to a meadow and the water. The morning meal was delicious, with all the choices we expected. The people at the castle attended to our needs graciously. Although some maintenance issues are evident, our stay was lovely.

Room Tip: Might want to request an upper floor location.