“Shabby room”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Having stayed in both Ashord and Dromoland castles it was our turn to spend a night in Waterford castle (it being in the same price bracket we expected it to be on a par with the others). My fiance decided to take me for a birthday treat and had paid a tidy sum for the room. The ferry over to the island is impressive as is the castle upon arrival. I have to say I was very disappointed when we were shown to the room, it was tiny and extremely shabby. The carpet was thread bare, the throw on the bed had seen better days (in perhaps the early 90's) and the blanket was like something my parents had received as wedding present 35 years ago. The ghetto blaster on the window sill was completely out of place ( having said that the old castle windows were lovely). The bathroom on the other hand was the same size as the room and was decorated in beautiful ceramic tiles, I chose to spend quite a while in the bath as it was the biggest I have even been in. But really, the bathroom is not reason enough to visit a hotel. We ate dinner in the dining room that evening and it was a wonderful meal with which I cannot find fault. The restaurant manager deserves a mention as he was a very pleasant character. The meal was the saving grace, but I would be reluctant to recommend the hotel to people. This castle's guest rooms seems to be in need of some management and are in dire need of redecoration.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank saharaomeara

Reviewed 18 July 2008

I booked my stay through ignorance. I wish I'd seen this web site before booking my one night castle experience. What a disappointment! All that money for an old, dirty room. I mean really black mold on the window, what appeared to be wine stains on the wall, a filthy holey bedspread, a headboard with material worn thin and stained beyond belief, carpeting stained and worn thin, the armoire when opened smelled yuckey, the lampshades were dripping nicotine. Bathroom was clean but shower ran out all over the marble floor so you worried about slipping. There was a bug on the wet marble floor so that creeped me out. The grounds were nice but never were we informed of the walking trail we ventured out and found it ourselves. The room was reserved for two yet fruit, one plate and one fork and knife were provided. I could go on but enough is enough, Their wall of awards and highly touted website is a crime. Some one should p;ut a stop to this rip off,.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
14  Thank tightbluejeans
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Where to begin? One complaint that repeats itself here in these reviews is the condition of the rooms and their furnishings. If you enjoy spending an exorbitant amount of money to sleep in an old, dirty, dilapidated room then this is the place. Our room had food, I'm hoping, splattered on the walls. Something else splattered over the headboards. Holes throughout the bedspreads. Worn through carpeting. Dirty mirrors and little black beetles in the bathroom. I never thought that such expensive accommodations would lack in the cleaniness and quality areas. The only thing that other reviewers seem to comment on regularly is the quality of the food, but then again at the price you pay additionally for that, isn't that what you would expect? Ireland is full of this kind of ambiance without the expense. Definitely would not recommend, at all!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank fadedbluejeans
Reviewed 3 June 2008

This was a beautiful, serene oasis where the service was impeccable and absolutely worth a visit. The grounds are beautiful, the room very comfortable (and we likely had the smallest, lowest end available - which was still wonderful - because of how we booked) and dinner in the bar area was delicious and fun. We chose to have a less formal meal and I do not believe the quality suffered at all. We stayed one night, which was plenty for us as friends travelling together. There is not a lot of activity on the small island (golf and tennis at the club) - but would be ideal for a romantic stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends

1  Thank arlene72
Reviewed 23 March 2008

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#5 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!