“Fit for a Princess”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My wife and I spent a wonderful evening here last week. Grand hotel with OUTSTANDING and attentive staff. My wife said she felt like a princess (I scored major points). Excellent food and well-appointed room. The only disappointment was room cleanliness. Something was spilled on a chair and the carpet. Large stain not taken care of by housekeeping. This didn't spoil our enjoyment of the stay but caused me to rate a 4 rather than a 5. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us. What a fantastic endorsement your caption of "Fit for a Princess" is for Waterford Castle. We sincerely appreciate your wonderful remarks and it will be my pleasure to pass on the recognition to all the staff. I must apologise for the substandard room cleanliness and I assure you that this will be addressed swiftly.
I am delighted to hear that you would absolutely stay again and we look forward to that occasion very much.

There are newer reviews for Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Upon arrival we were told that the elevator was broken so we were moved to a first floor room to accommodate my travel partner's bad knee, stairs don't go along very well. The bathrooms were all claw foot tubs with shower attachments, again not a good match. Mildew on the bathroom blind was so bad that the whole room smelled. Stuffed up noses and no sleep. Tried to take a power nap before dinner but someone was sawing up logs in the back, with the windows opened to get relief from the mildew the noise was unbearable. Stained carpet by the bedside the room was NOT good. Thank god were only here for one night! Not what we had hoped for and not the reviews I have read previously. Proceed with caution and expect to lower your standards at this Castle Hotel!! They could take a lesson from the Adare Manor!!

Room Tip: Ask to see it first
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Finn9877
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to express your views following your stay with us. I would like to apologise for letting you down in any way and I will be addressing your points thoroughly will all at Waterford Castle.
As you rightly pointed out our baths are claw foot and come with a shower attachment. I am a little confused as to the comment of not a good match. While we are trying to maintain the integrity of the castle we have to accommodate the modern needs of shower alongside traditional baths. To hear of the mildew is very concerning and to put it mildly this standard of housekeeping is simply not good enough.
Unfortunately we have had a lot of storm damage recently on the resort, hence the wood cutting. Wood cutting is only allowed until as a rule until 6pm but I am sorry that this interfered with your rest.
We would never ask someone to lower their standards at Waterford Castle but it seems that we did not live up to expectations on this occasion for which I again apologise on behalf of Waterford Castle. You have mentioned Adare Manor as a property we could take a lesson from. It is indeed a first class 5 star property and Waterford Castle as a 4 star property strives to improve standards all the time.
I do hope that you would consider affording us the opportunity to regain your confidence sometime in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed in the lodges for 2 nights. The lodges are poorly maintained on the outside but inside they are spotless - everything inside is modern and plenty of space for a family. Throughout the lodge is complete luxury and is very warm from downstairs to upstairs - perfect for a family.

The grounds are superb - plenty of walkways. We did not eat in the hotel but we had dinner in the golf club on one evening and we could not fault it.

The staff of the hotel are more than obliging. they are friendly and have an answer to a query straight away.

The ferry is ideal - no delay in getting from the island to the main land.

Room Tip: If you have a young family - then stay in one of the lodges
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Patrick W

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is lovely to hear the description of a perfect place for a relaxing getaway. I have noted your remarks in regards to the exterior presentation of the lodges and I can respond by saying we have identified this and works are underfoot to address this. I am delighted to read that inside was spotless, modern and luxurious. It will be my pleasure to pass your recognition to the staff and we will look forward to having you return.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just back from a 2night stay in this wonderful old castle , from the moment we entered the castle to the moment we left we were welcomed . The staff were excellent , the food was fantastic ,the grounds and building were beautiful . There is an air of romance there .3 things I found fault with afternoon tea ,not worth the price and waiting for it , we were given our tea and about 40 minutes later the food arrived at this time our tea was cold I asked why the tea was not served in China cups answer they were hard to get now and a beautiful set of white china sitting in a glass cabinet behind the girls back , I have had afternoon tea in various places this is one place I will not be having it again . 2, the heating was not very good in the bedroom and sometimes it was very cold but we did have a heater in the room , but this would not put me off . 3 the bath / shower is not suitable for anybody with a disability my partner has MS and could not use the shower.
But we still had a wonderful weekend and will be coming back to this wonderful place . Compliments to the chef and wonderful staff for making our stay special .

Room Tip: All rooms are great with an old world charm to them .
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to review your stay with us. I was most pleased to learn of excellent staff, fantastic food and beautiful surroundings. I have given your 3 concerns my immediate attention and I assure you that corrective action will be taken where identified. I am sorry to have disappointed in these areas but at the same time I am most pleased that you had a wonderful weekend and that you will coming back.
We look forward to that occasion.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

A unique and beautiful experience. The ferry. The service. The food. This is a wonderful piece of Ireland. Stay in a genuine castle, surrounded by beautiful woodland, wildlife and peace. One night is not enough :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank markgroberts

Dear Reviewer
Thank you posting such great feedback. Your review was an immense pleasure to read and we greatly appreciate your compliments throughout. To hear that one night is not enough makes us most proud of what we do at Waterford Castle.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Top class, lived up to all my expectations, full of old world charm, staff are fantastic, food exceptional, beautiful location surrounded by fantastic wildlife deer, badgers etc

The golf course is excellent and presents plenty of challenge's

• Stayed: September 2013
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing such lovely feedback following your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your compliments and indeed it will be my pleasure to share your comments with all my colleagues at Waterford Castle.
We do hope to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Excellent property, spacious and much better maintained than in recent yeas. the downside is they are quite expensive - prices have gone up dramatically. There is also a 7 euro charge PER NIGHT for electricity and gas. far too much. Last year it was 5euro per weekend for new quests. There is also a 5e chargefor ferry access which I find outrageous. The hotel/lodges are on a private island in the River suir with no other access only the ferry. The extra charges do add up. there is a hotel and golf course on the island, but there is no swimming pool or leisure centre. There is concessionary access to both at the Woodlands Hotel, a couple of miles away, but that too is expensive enough. ll in all a great weekend location, good property, but expensive.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the lodges. I was most please to read of your findings in relation to the property and indeed the way it is maintained. In relation to being expensive, this comment prompted me to do an immediate price comparison to a direct competitor of ours. My findings were in our favour considerably even taking the ferry charge and electric charge into account. In my recollection there has always been a daily charge for electric and gas and unfortunately price increases from providers cannot always be swallowed up by a business. Our ferry runs 24hours and is under contract. We feel that all of our charges are very transparent and are outlined from booking stage.
We appreciate your seal of approval as a great weekend location and we certainly hope that you will visit again in the future.
Derek

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Waterford Marina Hotel
#5 of 12 in Waterford
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!