“Afternoon tea”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
“Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We had afternoon tea today in conservatory and it was fabulous,four friends and I try to catch up as often as we can (not as often as we would like) service was friendly & prompt but not at all imposing. The atmosphere was so relaxing,fantastic value for money great selection and excellent quality of sandwiches and sweet treats,two of our party couldn't make it today which gives us the perfect excuse to come back for another lovely afternoon.Well done all staff.

1 Thank Sunbloon
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. We sincerely appreciate such applause for our Afternoon Tea service. To be described as fantastic value for money coupled with excellent quality is of great reward for all of us.
We look forward to serving you and we hope the other two that missed out on an occasion in the very near future.
Derek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed in a 4 bed lodge and found it to be perfect for a family holiday. Spacious and modern inside, needs slight maintenance outside. Washer and dryerin house were invaluable with kids. We'll definitely be back. Food in golf club house was lovely and very friendly staff. We used the pool in Woodlands hotel each day. Kids loved it. Nice water temperature.

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing such great feedback with us. I was delighted to read of your experience and that our facilities were of a great standard. Works have commenced with landscaping and other on the outside of lodges and we look forward to showcasing this on your return. I will be sure to pass your recognition to the staff in the club house.
Thank you for your seal of approval and we hope to see you in the near future.
Western Springs, Illinois, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

On an 45th wedding anniversary trip to Ireland, we decided to stay for the first time in a castle. We choose the Waterford Castle Hotel because of its reviews and its location. We were not disappointed.
The reservation process on-line was easy and convenient. I'm the type who likes to confirm these on-line reservation with a phone, which I did. The people at the front desk were friendly and genuinely excited that my wife and I were staying there on our 45th wedding anniversary trip. Linda, at the front desk, was particularly warm and helpful.
Since it was our first day in Ireland, and the drive from the Dublin Airport through the beautiful Wicklow Mountains was tiring, we looked forward to relaxing in the Castle. The huge tub in the beautifully decorated bathroom and the drinks by the fireplace offered us just what we were looking for after our sightseeing drive that first day.
The location of the Castle on an island in the middle of the Suir River was both scenic and restful. The view of the grounds and the river from our room through the leaded windows was outstanding.
The staff at dinner and at breakfast, along with the great food, made for a most enjoyable visit. We will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Ask for the Executive Suite, which had the great bathroom, the huge bedroom and a sitting room. Ver...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Belated Happy Anniversary wishes from all at Waterford Castle. To hear that you were not disappointed was most rewarding for us. I am delighted to read of your findings with our facilities and I will look forward to passing on your recognition to the staff and in particular Linda at the front desk. I am most pleased that we were able to compliment and indeed be a part of your 45th wedding anniversary.
We greatly appreciate your seal of approval and we look forward to having you back in the very near future.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Very average hotel. The bedrooms need refitting.
Food was ok but breakfast was poor
Staff were very attentive and friendly, the main selling point of the business in my opinion.
Nice location but next time I am in Waterford I will try somewhere else

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was disappointed to read that we failed to deliver on expectations in some areas. Your comments have duly been noted for attention. I was however most reassured to learn that staff featured highly on selling points with attentiveness and friendliness on display.
I do hope you would come back and visit Waterford Castle sometime in the future.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in the hotel lodges. The hotel is situated on a beautiful island, just outside Waterford, (so much so I'm even considering this hotel for my daughter's wedding- and she has no intention of marrying yet! :)). The staff are warm, friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. We stayed in the lodges, which are a short walk away from the main hotel. The lodges are spacious, three bedroomed houses, which I can imagine were once really splendid. This is because although our lodge was spotlessly clean, the decor was a little grubby and little things such as, light bulbs missing and not working on mirrors, shower screen missing on a bath, water leak damage not repaired in lounge ceiling, batteries in freeview box dead, let the place down a little. I did ask for replacement batteries but this was not done by the time we left. The lodges could also do with a repaint on the outside too. However, this is not something that would ruin anyone's stay here- at the moment. We had an amazing view from the back of the lodge and watching the deer, that roam free on the island, graze outside the back doors in the morning was wonderful.
When we first arrived The Castle itself was being used for a wedding
function , so we had to have dinner at the hotel's golf club! My partner had a steak (which he said was far nicer that the one he had eaten in Mash (a much raved about London steakhouse))the week before), I had a tasty burger and my mother (who was with us) had a nice chicken Caesar salad. Family who live in Waterford then came and joined us and the drinks flowed. The staff here were wonderful and we had a great evening- especially as when the bill came it was so reasonable - 3 meals, 2 bottles of wine, couple of whiskeys, 5-6 pints of beer, mineral waters and soft drinks, coffees came to not much over 100€!
The next night we ate in the hotel's Munster room. A little pricier than the golf club but still very reasonable for the food that was served, and the service we received! In London we would have paid at least double! Great food, great service and a great night we had again.
I could not recommend this hotel highly enough. If you stay in the lodges, look past the little things that let it down, and you'll have a comfortable stay. It would have been nice to have had televisions in the bedrooms but I suppose it gave me an opportunity to read more and talk to my partner more. However, it did mean that we all had to suffer watching football for a bit- I normally send him into another room to watch it by himself!!
I would have liked to have seen a suite/room in the Castle itself, but when I asked if this would be possible, we were unable to. If we were to stay again, just as a couple, I'd definitely stay in the hotel part. If we came with family again I'd have no problem with staying in a lodge again (as long as they were not allowed to deteriorate any further).
TIP- if you stay in a lodge ask for one with a number in the forties as these are the lodges with a good view.

Stayed April 2014
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to share your views following your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that your overall experience was very positive. I must however apologise for the little things and indeed for disappointing in this regard. We are undertaking works on the lodge exteriors at present which will address the issues you so rightly highlighted.
It will be my utmost pleasure to pass your comments in relation to Food & Beverage at both the Clubhouse and the Castle. I know both brigades will be most proud of these comments.
Thank you for your recommendation and may I say that we would be most delighted to be considered to host your daughter's wedding.
We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future at Waterford Castle.
Harker Heights, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

What an absolutely amazing experience. The property was beautiful and the staff was simply perfect. Upon check in we were escorted to our room. We were in the presidential suite and the room was stunning. That night we ventured out late and being our first day in Ireland we were not aware that most places stop serving food at 9pm. We ended up going to a local pub and having a few pints, but no food was available. Upon our return to the hotel around 1am, we visited the bar. We were talking with the bartender, Fernando, about our first day, and he asked where we ate dinner. We explained the situation about missing dinner and he asked if we were hungry. We told him that we would be find and that we would just head to breakfast as soon as it was being served. He said he couldn't let us go to bed hungry and he ran to the kitchen and made us a ham & cheese sandwich. WOW! Now that is customer service. From start to finish, this place exceeded every expectation we had. The remote setting is relaxing and the grounds are beautiful. I cannot wait to go back! My sincere thanks to Fernando for taking extra special care of us!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback. It was a pleasure to read your review and the label of "Amazing Experience" is of such high reward for all of us at Waterford Castle. I was delighted to learn of outstanding customer service and that expectations were exceeded.
I will be most pleased to pass your abundant compliments to all of my colleagues whom I am sure will be most proud and I will make sure to pass a special mention to Fernando who you have deservedly highlighted.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Located on a private island, this castle is a ferry ride to a step back in time. The grounds are fun to explore and the room, although outdated is charming. The bathroom needed updating with an almost unusable shower, but everything else was wonderful. The food and service were excellent. It was a visit we shall never forget. We enjoyed traveling into town and touring the Waterford factory during our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Waterford Castle. I was most pleased to read of your experience while with us and we are delighted to receive an excellent rating for food and service.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future occasion.
Derek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,319 reviews

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!