“Because everyone should stay in a castle.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Belmont, Australia
“Because everyone should stay in a castle.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Planning a trip to Ireland for the first time and really wanted to stay in a castle. Waterford looked fabulous and I had read reviews. We were not disappointed. Travelling with 5 in the group we booked two rooms. Both were beautifully appointed. We had lovely big bathrooms with the deepest bath I have ever seen. Bedroom was spacious and the kingside bed very comfortable. Our experience from checking, dinner and breakfast was faultless. Denise and Antonio on the desk and Fiona in the restaurant and Roisin at breakfast were all amazing. I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alison W
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I could not agree more with your caption " Because everyone should stay in a castle". What a perfect statement and one we would be proud to use. I am sure our Sales and Marketing would concur on this!
I was delighted to read of your findings and to learn of amazing staff and faultless food is of great reward. I assure you that I will pass your compliments to the staff that you have deservedly highlighted.
Thank you for your endorsement and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Derek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Incredible hotel. We were looking for a castle to stay in sometime on our vacation and stumbled upon this one in an internet search. Some nights were very expensive, we found the lowest rate within a week for the president's suite and booked it. There is a small ferry across the river to the island where the castle is, the grounds are beautiful. Checking in was simply a pleasure, the clerk was friendly and helpful. The room is everything advertised and more. We didn't eat in the restaurant, the menu was a bit too out there for us. Based on breakfast which was great, dinner probably would have been good but we already spent our budget on the room. Which was worth it.
I would say this is a 4.5 star hotel, there are just some tiny things keeping it from being 5 star. However do not let that stop you from staying here.

Room Tip: We booked this online while already on vacation in Ireland and found a cheap night for the president...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Waterford Castle. The first two words of your review "Incredible Hotel" brings such satisfaction to us all and indeed is very humbling. I am delighted that you had such a positive experience with us and it was our pleasure to have you with us. We greatly appreciate your rating of 4.5 stars and as we are officially graded as a 4 star, this is most rewarding.
Thank you for choosing Waterford Castle and we do hope that you will return on a future visit to Ireland.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed in the lodges as part of a hen party (not a rowdy hen!) and all 18 ladies agreed the lodges were the ideal destination for such a trip. The lodges were beautiful and spacious, with all mod cons and 3 huge double bedrooms, 2 ensuite, as well as 2 more stand alone bathrooms. We held all the activities in one lodge and all 18 girls were easily accommodated (though we did temporarily move some chairs and wine glasses from our other lodges).
The major plus side to holding a hen in the lodges was that there was no need to worry about taxis, coordinating large numbers of women, or what to bring in your handbag when heading into town or to far-off venues for hen-related activities! We just strolled from one lodge to the next depending on where each activity was taking place.
The staff were extremely helpful from the initial reservations onwards, though we didn't need anything else from the hotel (barring a few extra rolls of toilet paper) after we had checked in as the lodges were self catering.
We asked for late-check out and the hotel had no problem accommodating us (a necessity when the group consists of 18 ladies!) and there was no issue with getting to and from the island as the ferry operates 24 hours a day, so you rarely have to wait more than 15 minutes to cross back onto the mainland.
I'll definitely recommend Waterford Castle lodges to anyone for hens, family holidays and couples get-aways.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Your review was a pleasure to read and we sincerely appreciate your compliments. I am delighted to learn that the lodges were well received and lived up to the billing. I look forward to conveying your recognition to the staff.
Our very best wishes to all of the hen party and in particular to the bride to be.
We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Farmington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent a night in the castle while making a loop around Southern Ireland. The grounds were beautiful and the staff service was outstanding. I would caution people who need assistance with mobility as the parking is removed from the entrance and during our stop there was no bellman or valet parking. Food choices at the property were fairly limited and on the pricey side.....but also delicious. You must make reservations as seating is very limited.

The welcome desk was well represented by a very nice woman ( I believe her name was Denise). She is an asset and ambassador to the castle. I enjoyed hearing about the castle and area from her.

If you are looking for a modern hotel within the castle you will be disappointed.......this property is filled with character and a mission of providing exemplary service.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Al J
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am delighted to read that you encountered exemplary service, beautiful grounds and character in abundance.
May I just say that we are always available to assist people in need and parking guidelines would be overruled immediately in these circumstance. Bellman and Valet parking services are gladly provided when requested. I am most pleased to learn that you found the food to be delicious.
It will be my pleasure to pass your compliments to Denise whom I am sure will be most proud of your comments. As you rightly pointed out Waterford Castle is not a modern hotel and I would say that will never be the intention. It is a Castle steeped in history showcasing a stunning setting coupled with any amount of character.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we do hope to welcome you back in the future,
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Waterford Castle is a lovely venue to visit
It has the traditional charm of a grand house and the position on the River Suir provides walking areas with very nice views
It is easy to access via the regular ferry service and worth the trip for the afternoon tea
Oh yes, there is a golf course there too for those of you who like a walk and to swing a club or two!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing such lovely feedback. Your review was most complimentary and It will be my pleasure to convey your remarks to my colleagues at Waterford Castle. We sincerely appreciate your endorsement and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

we spent 3 nights over Easter in a 3 bed lodge,2 adults 3 kids.We all really enjoyed our stay,lodges really spacious and has every comfort.We had breakfast in the castle 2 mornings which was fantastic. my husband and son played golf and enjoyed the local wildlife.we eat in the clubhouse which is great for the kids as its relaxed . we were very lucky with the weather otherwise with small kids we would be limited on the island but for couples its a haven of relaxation.
a word of advice for families ..the lodges have beautiful gas fires with a glass front , the first thing my 4 year old did was go over and touch the glass and burnt top of his fingers as its red hot,thankfully the lodge has a well stocked first aid kit with burn cream ,so be-careful with tiny exploring hands. we will defiantly return and hopefully there will be kids activities to keep the little ones busy.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LuvSanty
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was delighted to read of your compliments in regards to our lodges and their fit out. It is most reassuring to hear about your dining experiences both at the castle and clubhouse and thank you indeed for the recognition.
It was great that the weather was on your side. I do hope your 4 year old is okay after this unfortunate incident and I am thankful that first aid supplies were at hand.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future and I am pleased to advise that we are planning more Kid's activities through the summer months.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I stopped for one night while traveling the south of Ireland with another couple. It was very quaint riding a ferry to the Waterford Castle. Upon entering the front door, we were amazed by the magnificent floor to ceiling fireplace, complete with a wood burning fire. The staff was very friendly. We went to the rooms and they seemed fine though small. We had a lovely dinner in a beautiful setting with good service. The next morning we had breakfast in gorgeous sun porch with a glass domed ceiling and an inviting view of the trees and grounds. The food was very good and service was impeccable. This is a lovely place. The only disappointment were the rooms...Ours were very small and in need of small repairs. The bathroom was plenty large, but very awkward. I reported that we could not get cold water at the sink, and were promised it would be fixed, but never was. The claw foot bath tub was unique, but not suitable to take a bath in as it was questionably clean and a bit rusty, and the small but high shower was almost dangerous. My husband took a shower and complained about how uncomfortable it was. I opted to use the hand shower. Also, the tile work was interesting with a listello border around the entire room, but the height of it made it impossible to have a mirror above the sink at the right height. I'm 5'-4", my husband is 6' and we both had to use a full length mirror across the room. After comparing notes with our friends, they had similar problems with the size of the room and bathroom configuration. With a little attention and up keep this would be a lovely property.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deb P
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I was pleased to read that there were positive elements to your stay with us and in particular good food along with impeccable service. I am however disappointed to learn of some issues with the bathroom, which I assure you have been noted for due attention. I am sorry to have let you down in that respect but I do hope that we will have a future opportunity to welcome you back to Waterford Castle.
Derek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,302 reviews

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!