“I hated leaving this special place”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“I hated leaving this special place”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As a former frequent visitor to Waterford city I was amazed when GrabOne advertised Waterford Castle & Lodges since I had never heard of the hotel previously. I bought the GrabOne voucher as I was very taken with the idea of staying on a private island. I stayed in a lodge with my partner and another couple. Having just returned home last evening I think I know why management have kept it a closely guarded secret - it is an incredibly unique place. We arrived last Friday in blazing sunshine to 310 acres of beautifully kept lush terrain. The lodges are beautiful and spacious, with all mod cons and 3 huge double bedrooms, 2 ensuite, as well as 2 more stand alone bathrooms. All the appliances are top of the range and beds & linen are top quality. While the 2 men in our party just had to eat/drink in the city I would have just loved to stay on the island for the whole weekend! Getting into the city was only a short hop in a taxi. The taxi drivers could not have been more friendly or helpful. The staff were extremely helpful from the initial telephone call to make the reservation right up to check out.

I cannot recommend this venue enough. If you are on a tight budget, even at full price if 3 couples make up one party it is very affordable. With the large fridge/freezer and full size cooker, you could easily self cater and with parking right outside your front door, carrying the provisions in is no hassle!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret S
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I was delighted to read your review and I am most pleased that our secret is out. It will be my pleasure to pass on your complimentary remarks to all my colleagues.
We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and greatly look forward to welcoming you back.
Derek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Belmont, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Planning a trip to Ireland for the first time and really wanted to stay in a castle. Waterford looked fabulous and I had read reviews. We were not disappointed. Travelling with 5 in the group we booked two rooms. Both were beautifully appointed. We had lovely big bathrooms with the deepest bath I have ever seen. Bedroom was spacious and the kingside bed very comfortable. Our experience from checking, dinner and breakfast was faultless. Denise and Antonio on the desk and Fiona in the restaurant and Roisin at breakfast were all amazing. I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alison W
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I could not agree more with your caption " Because everyone should stay in a castle". What a perfect statement and one we would be proud to use. I am sure our Sales and Marketing would concur on this!
I was delighted to read of your findings and to learn of amazing staff and faultless food is of great reward. I assure you that I will pass your compliments to the staff that you have deservedly highlighted.
Thank you for your endorsement and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Incredible hotel. We were looking for a castle to stay in sometime on our vacation and stumbled upon this one in an internet search. Some nights were very expensive, we found the lowest rate within a week for the president's suite and booked it. There is a small ferry across the river to the island where the castle is, the grounds are beautiful. Checking in was simply a pleasure, the clerk was friendly and helpful. The room is everything advertised and more. We didn't eat in the restaurant, the menu was a bit too out there for us. Based on breakfast which was great, dinner probably would have been good but we already spent our budget on the room. Which was worth it.
I would say this is a 4.5 star hotel, there are just some tiny things keeping it from being 5 star. However do not let that stop you from staying here.

Room Tip: We booked this online while already on vacation in Ireland and found a cheap night for the president...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Waterford Castle. The first two words of your review "Incredible Hotel" brings such satisfaction to us all and indeed is very humbling. I am delighted that you had such a positive experience with us and it was our pleasure to have you with us. We greatly appreciate your rating of 4.5 stars and as we are officially graded as a 4 star, this is most rewarding.
Thank you for choosing Waterford Castle and we do hope that you will return on a future visit to Ireland.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed in the lodges as part of a hen party (not a rowdy hen!) and all 18 ladies agreed the lodges were the ideal destination for such a trip. The lodges were beautiful and spacious, with all mod cons and 3 huge double bedrooms, 2 ensuite, as well as 2 more stand alone bathrooms. We held all the activities in one lodge and all 18 girls were easily accommodated (though we did temporarily move some chairs and wine glasses from our other lodges).
The major plus side to holding a hen in the lodges was that there was no need to worry about taxis, coordinating large numbers of women, or what to bring in your handbag when heading into town or to far-off venues for hen-related activities! We just strolled from one lodge to the next depending on where each activity was taking place.
The staff were extremely helpful from the initial reservations onwards, though we didn't need anything else from the hotel (barring a few extra rolls of toilet paper) after we had checked in as the lodges were self catering.
We asked for late-check out and the hotel had no problem accommodating us (a necessity when the group consists of 18 ladies!) and there was no issue with getting to and from the island as the ferry operates 24 hours a day, so you rarely have to wait more than 15 minutes to cross back onto the mainland.
I'll definitely recommend Waterford Castle lodges to anyone for hens, family holidays and couples get-aways.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Your review was a pleasure to read and we sincerely appreciate your compliments. I am delighted to learn that the lodges were well received and lived up to the billing. I look forward to conveying your recognition to the staff.
Our very best wishes to all of the hen party and in particular to the bride to be.
We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Farmington
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent a night in the castle while making a loop around Southern Ireland. The grounds were beautiful and the staff service was outstanding. I would caution people who need assistance with mobility as the parking is removed from the entrance and during our stop there was no bellman or valet parking. Food choices at the property were fairly limited and on the pricey side.....but also delicious. You must make reservations as seating is very limited.

The welcome desk was well represented by a very nice woman ( I believe her name was Denise). She is an asset and ambassador to the castle. I enjoyed hearing about the castle and area from her.

If you are looking for a modern hotel within the castle you will be disappointed.......this property is filled with character and a mission of providing exemplary service.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Al J
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am delighted to read that you encountered exemplary service, beautiful grounds and character in abundance.
May I just say that we are always available to assist people in need and parking guidelines would be overruled immediately in these circumstance. Bellman and Valet parking services are gladly provided when requested. I am most pleased to learn that you found the food to be delicious.
It will be my pleasure to pass your compliments to Denise whom I am sure will be most proud of your comments. As you rightly pointed out Waterford Castle is not a modern hotel and I would say that will never be the intention. It is a Castle steeped in history showcasing a stunning setting coupled with any amount of character.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we do hope to welcome you back in the future,
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Waterford Castle is a lovely venue to visit
It has the traditional charm of a grand house and the position on the River Suir provides walking areas with very nice views
It is easy to access via the regular ferry service and worth the trip for the afternoon tea
Oh yes, there is a golf course there too for those of you who like a walk and to swing a club or two!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing such lovely feedback. Your review was most complimentary and It will be my pleasure to convey your remarks to my colleagues at Waterford Castle. We sincerely appreciate your endorsement and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

we spent 3 nights over Easter in a 3 bed lodge,2 adults 3 kids.We all really enjoyed our stay,lodges really spacious and has every comfort.We had breakfast in the castle 2 mornings which was fantastic. my husband and son played golf and enjoyed the local wildlife.we eat in the clubhouse which is great for the kids as its relaxed . we were very lucky with the weather otherwise with small kids we would be limited on the island but for couples its a haven of relaxation.
a word of advice for families ..the lodges have beautiful gas fires with a glass front , the first thing my 4 year old did was go over and touch the glass and burnt top of his fingers as its red hot,thankfully the lodge has a well stocked first aid kit with burn cream ,so be-careful with tiny exploring hands. we will defiantly return and hopefully there will be kids activities to keep the little ones busy.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LuvSanty
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was delighted to read of your compliments in regards to our lodges and their fit out. It is most reassuring to hear about your dining experiences both at the castle and clubhouse and thank you indeed for the recognition.
It was great that the weather was on your side. I do hope your 4 year old is okay after this unfortunate incident and I am thankful that first aid supplies were at hand.
I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future and I am pleased to advise that we are planning more Kid's activities through the summer months.
Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
#5 of 12 in Waterford
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!