“Just perfect, romantic and totally relaxing!”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Wonderful stay in an old castle, if ultra modern is your style then this is not for you, if however you like romantic old world get always this is the place! Fab location great service, love it!!!!! We will be back...

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank hotelgirl32
Helen C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a heart felt review.
It was our pleasure to have you here and we very much look forward to welcoming you to Waterford Castle in the not to distant future.

Kindest Regards

Helen Courtney

Reviewed 29 May 2014

What a lovely stay we had at Waterford Castle. The peace and quiet are stunning as are the views and grounds on the Island. So much fun to take the ferry across - it feels like you're really leaving the world behind. Beautifully maintained grounds, lovely daily breakfast in the glassed in conservatory and delicious Afternoon Tea in front of the lobby fire place. Our room was a bit worn, but full of character. It was huge with a separate sitting room and a fireplace. Just beautiful. This was the first night of our trip to Ireland and a wonderful way to begin!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. It was most reassuring to read of your experience at the Castle and we sincerely appreciate your kind remarks. I am very much looking forward to sharing your review with my colleagues who will be most proud. We feel privileged that we were your first stop on your trip to Ireland and to be classified as a wonderful way to begin is most rewarding.
We look forward to your welcoming you back for a return visit.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We LOVED staying at this castle!! Everything about it was well worth the trip, the room was lovely the food was amazing and the service great. We wish we could have stayed longer!! We especially loved walking the grounds, it was absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your views us. We are most pleased that we were chosen to be part of your honeymoon trip. I was delighted to read of your experience at Waterford Castle and that amazing food and great service featured along the way.
It was our pleasure to have you with us and we hope that you will visit again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We recently returned to waterford castle for our first wedding anniversary and all I can say is that we were treated just as well as the night we got married. Everything was perfect and the all the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome without being in your face.

Thanks again for the wonderful service. Looking forward to many return trips.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank for taking the time to post your review. It was our pleasure to have you back on your first wedding anniversary. I hope that this will be a permanent fixture on your calendar.
It is most reassuring to learn of welcoming staff and wonderful service. I will be sure to convey this applause to all at the Castle.
Our sincere best wished to you both and belated Happy Anniversary.
We look forward to seeing you very soon we hope.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed one night for the wedding we attended, the staff were amazing the food was excellent nothing was too much trouble, we were met with nothing but professionalism from the staff. Our room was fine for the age of the property you expect a few flaws, but the originality of the castle has been maintained and it must be a huge job to keep up with this old building. We would stay again, we felt well rested and it was peaceful. The only gripe was that my husbands cup was badly stained at Breakfast and asked for a new one, the lady serving was very curt and told him it was only a mark, but it was not the response he was expecting. Everything else was perfect thank you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mary r

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We sincerely appreciate your compliments and it will be my pleasure to share your remarks with all my colleagues at Waterford Castle. I must apologise for the unsatisfactory remark about the cup and I assure you I will be looking into this immediately.
I am delighted to hear that you felt well rested and indeed to hear that you would stay again is most rewarding.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights after seeing the castle stay offered on travelzoo. The castle is set on its own island which is reached only via its own car ferry! (Takes about 3 mins to cross the water)
We ate in the restaurant on the first night and was a little disappointed with the food. We went into Waterford to a lovely Indian called Little India the second night. The staff & service however were faultless. We found it a little unusual that there was no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms but you can order complimentary tea or coffee via room service. We were in the Brownes room which was spacious and comfortable. Although the hotel says it has satellite TV there are only 8 channels and the TV was one of the old fashioned tube types. Free wifi is available throughout the hotel which was a bonus.
We played golf on the first day and would recommend the course which is very pretty and had many deer roaming around as we played. All in all a lovely break.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank pcs10557

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I was delighted to read that all in all you had a lovely break and that you encountered faultless staff and service. I am sorry to hear that that you were a little disappointed with the food as we are most proud of our culinary reputation and indeed have been awarded 2aa rosettes among other accolades recently.
Thank you for recommending the golf at Waterford Castle and glad to hear you enjoyed it.
We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My sister and I stayed in the castle for a night. The room smelled terrible! My sister when to the front desk and they said they would send someone up to check it out. No one ever came! I went down a hour later, and they sent someone up. The staff said the smell was from cleaning products, but it was definitely not. This wouldn't be an issue if you stay in the summer or early fall because the window can just be kept open. It was too cold when I stayed to keep the window open all night. This being said the room was very beautiful. I enjoyed my soak in the claw foot bathtub. The duvet is nice and fluffy and they supply thick bathrobes.

The restaurant staff was attentive. The food is great. We enjoyed tea, dinner, and breakfast at the castle. You are paying a premium for the food, and it is worth it. If you want to eat the formal dinner make sure to make reservations.

I would ask if there is a wedding being held when you are staying there. The was a wedding when I was staying and there were children running around, screaming, and touching all the food at the breakfast buffet. If I would have known I would have changed my reservations to a different night.

Room Tip: Otho room smells musty and is right above the kitchen. Make sure there isn't a wedding when...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robin K

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was disappointed to read of the issues you encountered with mustiness in the room and I sincerely apologise for this being the case. With the age of the castle and the amount of recent rain, the castle can be quite exposed to dampness and does need constant attention.
All this said I was very pleased to read on through your review and indeed we were delighted with the rest of your findings in regards to the room, staff attentiveness and great food.
I am sorry to hear that you had to encounter screaming children touching the buffet food. We do expect our guests to direct their children rather than us imposing ourselves.
I do hope that you will consider visiting Waterford Castle again in the near future.
Derek

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Waterford Marina Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
Tower Hotel Waterford
Tower Hotel Waterford
#5 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!