“Beautiful castle and grounds in Waterford Ireland”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our group of six stayed here overnight while on a tour of Ireland. The castle is very old so electric adapters are a must and things like hair dryers are a challenge. If you can get over things like that and enjoy a castle that is hundreds of years old, you will have a great experience here. There is a dining room and restaurant that serves gourmet type meals. Imagine eating in a large room with 30 ft ceilings. Service is great and the employees here go above and beyond to make your stay a truly memorable experience. I recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mcbearcatfan
Helen C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was delighted to read that you had a great experience here.
The Castle is a very unique property with a History spanning many centuries.

We pride ourselves on our food, The Munster Room where you enjoyed dinner received 2 AA Rosettes again for 2014. Dining there is an experience not to be missed if the opportunity arises or when staying at Waterford Castle.

I look forward to sharing your comments with all the team here and we hope to see you again at Waterford Castle sometime in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were in for a wedding along with other family members (wife and me; her sister and her husband and adult daughter). We rented one of the lodges for a week. It was a three-bedroom, 3.5 bath townhouse with a complete kitchen, dining area and living room downstairs. There was even a fold-out bed in the downstairs area.

The entire place was clean and comfortable. What you don't get is maid service, and you have to take out your own trash :). It was a great place to stage from for our daily activities and to relax in when we got home at night.

The wifi was a bit spotty at times, but adequate. Besides we weren't there to browse the web.

The grounds are fantastic. There is the castle itself which is converted into a hotel. All we got to see of that was the lower level, but the staff was happy to tell us all about the history and artifacts that are there.

The castle is on an island. There is a ferry to the mainland. They claim that the schedule is every 15 minutes during the day and 30 minutes at night. Actually, it's more like on demand. If there are people or cars there, they go to the appropriate bank and load them up and go. I think the most we ever waited was about 10 minutes. The service is free and it's about 10 minutes (even with traffic) to downtown.

There is a magnificent dining room in the castle, but we opted to eat in (for breakfast) or use the golf course restaurant for lunch. The food at the golf course was excellent and the woman working the register was exceptionally friendly.

The island has one road. It is a one-way affair that loops around in a clockwise fashion. The lodges are located so that a left turn out takes you to the ferry about 300 meters away. When you get off the ferry, you have to drive around past the castle and golf course. It may be about 2 km in all.

I mention this because at the first bend after getting off the ferry, there is a small sign that indicates "Scenic Route." It is a walking trail that takes you around the outside of the island. It is indeed very scenic, and you might spot some deer as you make your way along. Take your walking shoes and a camera.

The lodges can easily accommodate 7 people (if you are reasonably friendly with each other :) ). Compared to individual hotel rooms, it's a bargain. Add to this that you have the option to dine in and relax in a full-sized living room it is a more enjoyable experience than a room alone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dan-NC2

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review following your recent stay at the Lodges here at Waterford Castle.

I was very happy to read that you had a very relaxed and comfortable stay.
The Island has a lot to offer all our guests and we are always delighted when guests have the time to explore the island and experience the restaurant at the Castle and the casual dining options available in Club House.
We are very happy to have lodge guests come in and see the Castle, learn of its history and if time permits experience Lunch Afternoon Tea or Dinner.

I look forward to sharing your review with the staff here who take great pride in their place of work.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Waterford castle in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

It was my dream to stay overnight in a Castle in Ireland, and Waterford Castle fulfilled that dream. I was very, very happy here, and my visit exceeded my expectations. I cannot recommend it enough. Fairy-tale beautiful castle, grounds, and other surprises await you...

For the "Average Joe" traveller it is somewhat expensive, but actually much less so than some other castle hotels in Ireland. I would say that it is a well-deserved special treat for you, if you can possibly afford at least one night. If money is no object, a longer stay is advised. The castle is on an island, accessible by ferry. It is very quiet and private. While I do not play golf, I suppose it is an even more desirable destination if you do.

The bedrooms are large and luxurious. We stayed in the Rose Suite, which had an extra reading room, four poster bed, Victorian velvet couch, and real castle windows with the old hinges you see people in movies use. The Waterford Castle bathrooms, if you don't mind my saying so, are the most beautiful I have ever seen; ours was complete with a claw foot bathtub, a sink with botanical decoration, and a "Victorian water closet" pull toilet. Oh, and of course, a towel warmer -- love those towel warmers in Ireland! One special touch was the inclusion of "Handmade Irish Soap" amenities, rather than the typical soaps and shampoos you get at most hotels.

There is a beautiful walk around the grounds by the water that you can take, which is restful and refreshing, and not strenuous. We did not eat dinner at the castle, but I did have the pleasure of having breakfast there, and it was magnificent. A full buffet is available, and a made-to-order breakfast is provided as well. I suggest you get a package with the breakfast included.

A stay at Waterford Castle is an experience you will not forget. Plan a stay for your sweetheart or other loved ones. Nothing says "I love you" like a stay in a castle. By all means, go.

Room Tip: The Rose suite was perfect.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Helen C, General Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. We sincerely appreciate your
comments.
We are very fortunate to have such a unique property, on its own island which is worlds away from everyday life.
The rooms are quirky but absolutely unique as you describe.
I am so glad you were able to enjoy breakfast and the scenic walk around the grounds during your stay.

We want all our guest's visits to Waterford Castle to be memorable and I am happy that yours was.
I look forward to sharing your review with my colleagues and we hope to see you again at Waterford Castle in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Had a lovely time at the lodges on the island. Driving up to the hotel from the ferry is lovely, check in at the castle was good (even though we had to wait 20 minutes) but the hotel met all of our requests!
The lodges do need to be repainted on the outside & inside - although some look a lot better than others. Inside they are mostly good but our particular lodge had a lot of holes and stains on the walls, as well as that the toilet had not been cleaned and there was sticky liquid all over the window sills. Overall it was very nice and we had a great stay! Will defo come back!
We ate in the clubhouse which wasn't very nice and the dining room in the hotel with was excellent!

Room Tip: Get end of terrace at the back row as there isn't any lodges backing onto yours!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to read that overall you had a great stay and you will return.
I was disappointed to read you encountered some minor problems in relation to the Lodges and apologise for this.
I can assure you I will be addressing the issues you mention with the on site Lodge Accommodation team here. The Lodges are extremely popular throughout the year and from time to time some lodges show signs of wear and tear. Rest assured we are addressing this in our maintenance programme throughout the year.

Again thank you for your review and we look forward to your return to Waterford Castle.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed for several nights in the castle, it was fantastic, wish we had longer. Everything about the hotel was great. One evening was quite warm and the room was hot and stuffy, the staff brought up a fan which did some good, but being an exceptionally hot day (for Waterford), we expect the stuffy room being an exception not the rule.

Great breakfast, good variety, very good service.

We had a meal at the Munster restaurant, which was great, see separate review.

We had a meal at the golf Club house which was well below par, see separate review.

All up enjoyed the stay

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your kind compliments and I look forward to sharing your review with my colleagues here.

We pride our selves on our Culinary reputation and I am happy to see you were not disappointed with Breakfast and Dinner here at The Castle.. I will address the Club House shortcomings with our Head Chef to ensure it is in deed up to par with the rest of the resort.

Again thank you for your kind remarks and we look forward to seeing you again at Waterford Castle in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in May and wish we had more time to stay another night. The drive to the castle riding on the ferry was so much fun. The grounds driving up to the castle and around the castle were so pretty. Driving up the castle with all the huge trees and beautiful flowers it felt like we were in a movie. Check in was easy with the staff were all so friendly and helpful. We had a nice spacious room. We enjoyed a walk around the grounds and saw several deer out on our path. My husband was wishing he had time to golf. We had a drink in the bar and a fabulous four course meal in the dining room. It was as good or better than any four star resturant here in Houston. We enjoyed our stay and would definitly come back to stay at the Waterford Castle when we come back to Ireland.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MWRHouston_TX

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I was delighted to read that you had a relaxing if brief stay with us here at Waterford Castle.

We have a unique property on its own Island with lots of Wildlife to see.
Its always a treat to see the Deer who have made the Island their home.

The Munster Room was again awarded two AA rosettes for 2014 to read you enjoyed a fabulous meal there is wonderful.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the entire team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Waterford Castle on your next trip to Ireland.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We loved Waterford Castle. While it does not compare to the elegance or service of Ashford Castle (that place is AMAZING!!) it was really nice. The grounds are very pretty. The castle is, too. Our room was just sumptuous! We ordered a suite for $40 more than the "deluxe room." Wow was that nice and for just $40 more!! It was fun having all that space. People there were really nice and the breakfast was also good. DO have dinner in the fine dining room. Three course meal was delicious and elegant! The one negative is that king sized beds are really just two twins pushed together so there's that awful crack in the middle. But the rooms were gorgeous!

Room Tip: For $40 more you can have an amazingly large and sumptuous suite!! (over the "Deluxe" acco...

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We sincerely appreciate your kind comments.
We are very fortunate to have such a unique property on its own island where our guests can immediately switch off and relax.

Here at Waterford Castle we pride ourselves on our culinary reputation and I am so glad to see you were able to experience both Breakfast and Dinner with us.

I look forward to sharing your comments with the team here who take pride in their place of work
and are always delighted to hear about the guest experience.

We hope you make a return journey to Waterford Castle in the not to distant future.

Helen Courtney

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Waterford Marina Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
Tower Hotel Waterford
Tower Hotel Waterford
#5 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!