“Simply Wonderful”

Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We had the loveliest stay at this hotel. It was everything I hoped. It had all the nostalgia and romance of an old castle set in a surreal setting. Not sure what the others were talking about when they said it needed updating. It is an old castle...wouldn't exactly go with the experience if it was all contemporary and new. The linens were lovely. The hotel was clean. The room was massive and I could have done cartwheels in the bathroom...literally. We had a great dinner downstairs and then retired to the bar for an after dinner drink. The morning walk on the grounds was beautiful. We have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world. This is still one of my favorites. The only thing I would suggest - if you are light sleeper do not stay in the suite above the bar. It can be just a tad loud but not bad and I am a light sleeper! I would go there again in a heartbeat. Loved it.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,338)

Reviewed 13 August 2009

Superb location, so peaceful to wake up to. Our 2 boys loved taking the car ferry to get to the island and were so excited about staying in a real live castle! Our rooms were of a good standard and the beds were extremely comfy. The hotel arranged for our rooms to be next to each other which was a great benefit. We had dinner in the bar as we thought that the restaurant was a bit too formal for a 13 and 10 year old. The food was good but they didn't have a great selection for kids to choose from. The whole place had a great atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night and enjoyed our stay. We had the Kildare room and found it very comfortable. The shower curtain in the claw footed bathtub could have been better, but that's really my only complaint on the room.

We never had a problem waiting for the ferry that crossed back and forth to the island, and thought it was fun to take a ferry to the castle. We quickly explored the grounds, which were nice and we wish we had more time to explore.

We enjoyed tea in the castle lobby and that evening we enjoyed sitting in the bar area and relaxing. Upon arrival we felt one of the women checking us in had a bit of an attitude problem, but the other lady was so nice and helpful that she cancelled the other one out. The bartender in the bar area worked very hard and was very nice. We enjoyed our breakfast in the morning.

We were looking forward to dining in the restaurant, but it was very pricey so we had to go off island.

All in all I would go back again, however since the hotel is located on an island, be prepared to drive to other places to do things and eat.

For the price and location, I expected a bit more luxury, however we enjoyed our nights stay.

1  Thank mejo1111
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Although I frequent hotels on a regular basis through work and leisure, I never felt the need to write a review on trip advisor. However, after spending the weekend in Waterford Castle, I felt compelled to do so. From the initial phone call to make the reservation to the moment we left the hotel, the service was top class. My husband arranged the weekend away as a surprise and I was initially discouraged by the 5 hour car drive to the hotel. However, after staying there, I would drive 10 hours to get there again. It is a spectacular hotel with luxurious rooms and delectable food. The staff are courteous and gracious and full of valuable information with regards to sights and events in the area. To be honest, you will not want to leave the hotel once your arrive but we did take a trip to Kilkenny for some retail therapy. Not a wise choice during a recession-- the boutiques are very tempting! We stayed in one of the suites which was elegantly and opulently decorated. My husband met an old school friend of his who was staying in one of the lodges and he showed it to us. They are beautiful and I would recommend it to families and large groups. I have 2 children and I am seriously tempted to rent a lodge and bring them on a mini break before school commences. I could not find fault with anything in Waterford castle and will recommend it to all my friends and family. The staff make such an effort to ensure that you have an enjoyable and memorable stay- they are extremely competent and professional. If you want a treat, Waterford castle is the answer.....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2009

My husband & I stayed in Waterford Castle recently and were blown away by the whole experience!

We availed of the King & Queen package that we had found on the hotel website offering overnight stay package with dinner.

The castle is a 15th century building re-decorated to suit modern needs. The first thing that struck us when we arrived through the doors was the warmth & friendliness that is in the air both from the staff and the roaring fires around. Our room was cosy and filled with antiques. That afternoon we played a round of golf and were starving by dinner time after travelling and all the fresh air on the golf course. Dinner an amazing experience every course was better than the last, and afterwards had a few drinks in the cosy bar. We checked out feeling relaxed & rejuvenated armed with a collection of fond memories of our stay.

Reviewed 31 July 2009

I have just spent the most wonderful romantic weekend at Waterford Castle & felt I had to write this review to counteract the terrible reviews I have just read. The service, food & whole setting is magical & the quality of service is second to none. We stayed in the Rose Suite which was beautiful. We enjoyed two beautiful meals cooked by the renowned Michael Quinn & his staff & we were not disappointed. I would like to particularly draw attention to 3 staff members, Philip & Lenka (in the Restaurant) & a wonderful English gentleman called Adrian (I think hes the Ops Mgr). These three people made our stay excellent & nothing was ever too much trouble for them in particular (all the staff are great!). With Waterford Castle, you get what you pay for & I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. We in fact, are booked to go back there in Sept for my husbands birthday.

1  Thank raycarr98cork
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I had booked a weekend at Waterford Castle in the presidential suit so I could propose to my girlfriend as a suprise, and it was a suprise! The room was freezing cold. The hotel had given us a dimplex electric heater which was constantly turned off by the staff, not very 5 star. Before I booking I enquired with the hotel if any large groups would be staying and I was assured that their wasn't. I went down stairs for my meal in the evening only to find a full blow murder mistery night was taking place. We were shunted into another cold anti room along with some other guests and served our food . Some of the bar staff are very poorly trained and we were left waiting for drinks for a considerable period of time. The hotel has undergone a "beige" makeover and as a result its lost a lot of its charictor. We complained to the manager and he offerd us an aditional nights stay, once bitten twice shy. In my humble opinion its one of the cheeper castle hotles for a good reason. I should have dug deeper into my pockets on such a special occasion.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JohnDublinDublin
Wcastle, Sales & Marketing Manager at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2009

Dear Reviewer,

First & foremost I would like to convey my apologies to you for having had such a bad experience at Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort last February. I can undersatnd that proposing to your partner is one of the most momentous occasions of your entire life and that you had trusted that Waterford Castle was the place to do so. Obviously you were dissapointed that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I would be most grateful if you could contact me personally to discuss your views by phone or email at your discretion, please contact the front desk at Waterford Castle to be put through to my office.

Regards
Joanna Hannick
Sales & Marketing Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Granville Hotel
#6 of 12 in Waterford
Fitzwilton Hotel
Fitzwilton Hotel
#5 of 12 in Waterford

Been to Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!