Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Granville Hotel(Waterford)
  • Restaurant
Fitzwilton Hotel(Waterford)
1,360 results
All reviewsmunster roompresidential suiteprivate islandcar ferrygolf clubdriving rangeself catering lodgesclaw foot tubfairy taleround of golfsitting roomfamily weddingold worldfrom start to finishsconesfollowing morningtop class
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 August 2009

After we checked in we left the island and went into waterford, we didn't have to wait more that 5 minutes for the ferry. In the afternoon some of my family and i walked around the grounds which were beautiful. We only stayed at the castle for one night and decided to have dinner at the restaurant there. We had just sat down to dinner when the fire alarm went off. Apparently there was a problem with the fire place and the whole castle filled up with smoke. Everyone was ushered out of the hotel. We were told that we would not be allowed back in the castle for a couple of hours. So everyone went to the club house. We were told we would not be able to have our nice dinner at the hotel, but at the club house they made sandwiches and chips and they also provided free drinks for everyone. While it wasn't the dinner we were expecting we all had a good time and kept talking about how this was going to make a great story. After about 2 and a half hours we were let back into the hotel. The whole time the staff was making sure they were taking care of the guests the best the could, and the drinks didn't hurt either. The next morning when we went to check-out we found that because of the fire the rooms had been comped. While it wasn't the stay we were expecting it was still fun and I look forward to going back sometime.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Gingertravel
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We had the loveliest stay at this hotel. It was everything I hoped. It had all the nostalgia and romance of an old castle set in a surreal setting. Not sure what the others were talking about when they said it needed updating. It is an old castle...wouldn't exactly go with the experience if it was all contemporary and new. The linens were lovely. The hotel was clean. The room was massive and I could have done cartwheels in the bathroom...literally. We had a great dinner downstairs and then retired to the bar for an after dinner drink. The morning walk on the grounds was beautiful. We have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world. This is still one of my favorites. The only thing I would suggest - if you are light sleeper do not stay in the suite above the bar. It can be just a tad loud but not bad and I am a light sleeper! I would go there again in a heartbeat. Loved it.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Superb location, so peaceful to wake up to. Our 2 boys loved taking the car ferry to get to the island and were so excited about staying in a real live castle! Our rooms were of a good standard and the beds were extremely comfy. The hotel arranged for our rooms to be next to each other which was a great benefit. We had dinner in the bar as we thought that the restaurant was a bit too formal for a 13 and 10 year old. The food was good but they didn't have a great selection for kids to choose from. The whole place had a great atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night and enjoyed our stay. We had the Kildare room and found it very comfortable. The shower curtain in the claw footed bathtub could have been better, but that's really my only complaint on the room.

We never had a problem waiting for the ferry that crossed back and forth to the island, and thought it was fun to take a ferry to the castle. We quickly explored the grounds, which were nice and we wish we had more time to explore.

We enjoyed tea in the castle lobby and that evening we enjoyed sitting in the bar area and relaxing. Upon arrival we felt one of the women checking us in had a bit of an attitude problem, but the other lady was so nice and helpful that she cancelled the other one out. The bartender in the bar area worked very hard and was very nice. We enjoyed our breakfast in the morning.

We were looking forward to dining in the restaurant, but it was very pricey so we had to go off island.

All in all I would go back again, however since the hotel is located on an island, be prepared to drive to other places to do things and eat.

For the price and location, I expected a bit more luxury, however we enjoyed our nights stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mejo1111
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Although I frequent hotels on a regular basis through work and leisure, I never felt the need to write a review on trip advisor. However, after spending the weekend in Waterford Castle, I felt compelled to do so. From the initial phone call to make the reservation to the moment we left the hotel, the service was top class. My husband arranged the weekend away as a surprise and I was initially discouraged by the 5 hour car drive to the hotel. However, after staying there, I would drive 10 hours to get there again. It is a spectacular hotel with luxurious rooms and delectable food. The staff are courteous and gracious and full of valuable information with regards to sights and events in the area. To be honest, you will not want to leave the hotel once your arrive but we did take a trip to Kilkenny for some retail therapy. Not a wise choice during a recession-- the boutiques are very tempting! We stayed in one of the suites which was elegantly and opulently decorated. My husband met an old school friend of his who was staying in one of the lodges and he showed it to us. They are beautiful and I would recommend it to families and large groups. I have 2 children and I am seriously tempted to rent a lodge and bring them on a mini break before school commences. I could not find fault with anything in Waterford castle and will recommend it to all my friends and family. The staff make such an effort to ensure that you have an enjoyable and memorable stay- they are extremely competent and professional. If you want a treat, Waterford castle is the answer.....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple