“Loud not for familys, No free wifi and broken bed! Stay away”

Dooley's Hotel Waterford
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed in the hotel for a short break with 2 kids. We booked a family special €229 with 2 nights a breakfast each morning and one evening meal(Good deal I thought). Bit of a disaster to be honest. From the get go the receptionist didn't give us our meal vouchers this ended up being a big ordeal when we wanted our meal she also said call down either evening between 6.30-9.00 approx for the meal turns out you had to make a booking as a tour was in the hotel. Then the meal was for only the 2 adults kids weren't included after a few complaints we were handed a baby bowl and some ice cream but hassle on a holiday to be honest the deal stated direct quote "Evening Meal for 2 adults and 2 children under 4 years." The service staff at breakfast and the meal were nice and tried their best but the hotel most definitely didn't adhere to the terms of their offer and confusion was caused by the receptionist!
On arrival we also didn't see nor hear of any cookies and milk for the kids as promised on the deal and what the kids were promised by us(I ended up buying some in the shop after one of the lads broke down in disappointment in the room, I forgot on check in and felt so guilty). It gets worse as after booking a family special we then arrived back on the first night at the hotel at 8 with two tired kids to ceili music blaring on a Monday night below our first floor room and the kids didn't get to sleep until after 11 when the music stopped. Next morning delivery trucks then woke the kids at 6.15(Each morning). So the kids slept for 7 hours night one and about 10 night two. The room was no better I couldn't sleep in the bed with my wife as the bed was broke along the side and after sleeping on the bed for an hour my back was aching. I then watched some tv and the remote was broke and the tv constantly cut out every 5 minutes. The main room lightbulb wasn't lighting just the side lamps and no aircon(other than the windows, outside which every drunk in the city must have trudged)! Another major thing for us was every time you left the hotel in your car you had to pay €3 parking as the hotel hadn't its own parking(Over the 2 night holiday parking cost us over €25. You can't come and go as you please without expense). I also couldn't get a WiFi signal in my room(Yeah in 2013) and even if I could I would have had to pay for anything beyond my "complementary" hour. I buy a burger for a €1 in McDonalds and I get free wifi but I pay €229 in Dooleys and I have to pay for wifi, pure joke! In summary great location with great beaches in Tramore(Driving distance) and a good time was had with the boys in the good weather but the hotel was a tiring, difficult to deal with and noisy and lacking in basic services such as parking and wifi, something I doubt i'll consciously repeat.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Nenagh_Pat

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Just returned from a coach tour of Ireland with CIE tours. On day 2 of tour we visited Waterford City and stayed over at the Dooleys Hotel. Hotel room needed some TLC and required to be updated very tired looking no air con in room. Evening dinner good choice on menu considering 39 people on tour.
Morning breakfast alas not very good choice and overall disappointing. Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel in my opinion only worth 2 stars.

Room Tip: If visiting Waterford City try another Hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Roy G
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for one night as part of a CIE tour of Ireland. We stayed in 5 different hotels on our trip and this was unfortunately my least favorite. I wanted to like it more, but the bathrooms looked outdated, and the rooms a little too motel for a hotel. There was only 1 elevator, which proved frustrating at times when it was being loaded with suitcases by the porters or had a long line. We would have taken the stairs, but we were on the 5th floor with an injured 83 yr old, so stairs were not really an option for us. The food as dinner was fine, but the breakfast buffet seemed a little lacking. I don't know what other hotels in Waterford are like, but I assume they must be similar because our CIE tour had us booked in wonderful hotels in other cities. The location of this hotel seemed great. It was walking distance to what appeared to be the main part of Waterford. We were there on a Friday night, and I must say the town was eerily quiet. I was able to find only one open pub other than the one in our hotel, so it seems Dooleys is the place to be for a night out.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HonestToAFault820
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Two of us stayed at Dooleys this week on an overnight stop in Waterford. Friendly staff, good food and a central location. Good value and worth a visit. Bedrooms are a nice size and were comfortable and quiet. Bathrooms looking a little tired, but overall you won't go far wrong here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2013

went for an over night stay with 14 girls, arrived at 12 o clock and got all our rooms within 10 mins. speedy check in,staff were nice, and rooms were great great. breakfast had loads of variety.also had the sunshind. will defo stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2013

As stated in the in-house blurb, the hotel has been proudly run by the one family for many years. It also has that feel and welcoming. My room was large with double bed. It was comfortable and quiet and overlooked a rear street. There was one potential hazard as it overlooked the local pool room and a noisy "chopper" bike persisted for a while but moved on.
There seems to be only one lift and during my stay had some problems, as a consequence many guests were forced to use the stairs, even up to the 3rd floor.
The room had tea/coffee facilities, iron/board but no safe. Free wi-fi was available and useful.
The breakfast/dining room was very well run with efficient and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2013

As part of a coach tour of the UK and Ireland, we two Brits and 33 Australians decended onto this hotel on the 19th June '13. According to the porter there are 114 rooms but we only found one lift. Our room, 28 was on the second floor and situated overlooking the street to the rear. We had a double and single bed in the room. The shower was fitted over the bath and anon slip bath mat was provided. There is only liquid soap provided but there was also a face cloth provided to aid application. A lot of hotels provide nothing. The room was clean and well decorated but there is some attention required to the little details ie, the four pillows on the double bed were all different: one white, one cream, one off white and one pink. The bath itself is due for a refurbishment and the television was an old analogue one which only provided a fuzzy picture. The tea and coffee making materials are on a tray in a cupboard under the televsion with the kettle wired into this position, a lot of bending required to make a 'cuppa'. Our dinner was of three courses with three choices on each, was well cooked, well presented and plentiful. Breakfast was buffet style and plentiful with coffee and toast placed on the tables of but tea had to be requested seperately. Over all a pleasant experiance.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple