“Irish Hospitality at it's best”

Dooley's Hotel Waterford
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed here as part of a large touring party from end of July for 5 days. This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and the service, quality and experience is unsurpassed. This is a 3 star hotel, but would be be much better aligned to that of 4 star plus! The Hotel is very comfortable, tastefully furnished and offers superb customer service - nothing was too much trouble and staff were very amiable and engaging. Food wasn't generally cheap (but there was some more reasonable options if you carefully scrutinised the menu); though you get what you pay for and what I did have was superb! The hotel offered some live entertainment with some traditional Irish folk music that went down a storm. Beds were really comfortable and rooms well appointed. Would highly recommend the full Irish breakfast - set me up for the day!! Would thoroughly recommend - a real treat awaits:)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Friendly staff, decent brekkie and a comfortable bed for the night! OK room was a bit dated and the front facing rooms may be a bit loud for some but I really enjoyed my stay. Restaurant good for dinner too!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hotel itself was warm and friendly, the room was bright and airy, All the staff were helpful and courteous. Hotel is close to the center of city and I had a nice view of the river,
I had the misfortune of getting a triple room with 3 single beds .. so the nights sleep was not great, Would only return if promised larger bed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our one evening in Waterford. It is located across the street from the river, so it has some nice views and provides a nice opportunity for an evening stroll. The rooms were okay, but need some love and renovation. Our room faced the courtyard and all night, you could hear the music from the bar and smell cigarette smoke in your room from below. It was quite annoying. If it's for a night or two, I am sure you can make due. But otherwise, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My 2 sisters an I had a triple room in the hotel, it was bright and airy with a good sized bathroom. All staff that we met, reception, bar, restaurant etc. were very helpful and friendly. We had booked B&B and evening meal at a very reasonable rate. The dinner was excellent very nicely presented and promptly served, breakfast was good also. Location excellent and car park opposite hotel for a fixed charge of 3 euro. We returned to have a meal there around 3. 30 on the day of check out and found this very good also and reasonable priced.

Maura (Cork)

Room Tip: perhaps look for room at back it may be quieter in the morning
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2014

It's ok sums this hotel up,for me friendly staff but just a bit dated and bed was so uncomfortable I've been sleeping in the spare twin in the room! Roll together is so bad in a modern hotel...bed needs upgrading and decor is poor. It is also very noisy. On the plus side it has a nice view of the river and is very central ....all in all not great we would not come back.

Room Tip: Yes don't stay!
1  Thank dublindaisy-10
Reviewed 23 July 2014

First impression: Clean and brightly lit hotel.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a friendly receptionist, where she checked in very quickly.We got told that breakfast is included and that was a lovely surprise for us, as our online package (booked via booking.com) does not state that. However, we are quickly disappointed.

The next morning, we got told that breakfast wasn't included after all. We went down to the restaurant, they did not have us on the list, saying it's because we came in late and the system hasn't updated fast enough. Then we double-checked back in reception and they say there is a fault there. The good thing about that is that, they realized one of their colleagues have made a mistake and they didn't charge us for breakfast (Otherwise, that would be 10 euros per person!). I do think it is really bad for the hotel to tell us one thing, then turn around and say another thing :/

The room is number 17, I quickly realised that they put us into a smoking area (we specifically request non-smoking bedrooms when we booked online). Thinking the hotel might be fully booked, we gave it a try. NO CHANCE. The room was directly on top of a kitchen ventilation-type thing, and it was constantly in use. We slept through the first night, but the second night was horrendous. You cannot relax at all in that room; we tried turning the TV on louder to drown out the noise. I ended up sleeping for 3 hours and had to request a room change (number 72). It was 100% better than the previous one! It does face the high street, you are still on 1st floor, but you do not have a noisy fan when you are trying to relax and sleep.

Comments about the restaurant/bar: Excellent! The hidden gem within Dooley's is the dry dock bar. The staff there are absolutely fantastic, really attentive and quick at service. We had dinner there on the last night and we wished we had gone there more often! The Guinness and beef stew is absolutely fantastic- rich succulent beef topped with creamy mash. Desserts are not to be missed, especially the fresh fruit pavlova- first pavlova I have encountered that has the right amount of sugar, soft and fluffy in the middle, and topped with fresh citrus fruits. I would highly recommend everyone to go and try that out, because it is really amazing.

Overall Rating: 4 stars (The restaurant/bar is too amazing, so it deserves one star just for that). Only thing I would comment/complain is that Room 17 should NEVER be used as a guest room, it should be turned into a utilities room for staff or something. I could never see anyone wanting to stay in a hotel with a 24/7 kitchen fan just below your room!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are generally quite noisy, if you are facing towards the seaview.
4  Thank VanChong