“good food but room disappointing”

Tower Hotel Waterford
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I stayed here last Spring with my 10 and12 year olds. We had a family room which was spacious but too near the road for comfort.
There were cars roaring up the road all night which kept us awake. The curtain pole fell off the window when we tried to adjust it, there was crayon on the walls and the water from the tap, when we tried to run a bath, was brown!!
We had a lovely breakfast the next morning in the well appointed dining room. Plenty to eat and very well presented. It was good value for money overall as we got a decent rate.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
thwmgmt, General Manager at Tower Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and your kind words with regard to breakfast and the value we deliver.
I am sorry that there were shortcomings in your accommodation. This should not have happened and I apologize. We have a great city centre location but occasionally this can lead to traffic noise at peak times which is beyond our control.

We look forward to welcoming you all back to the Hotel in the near future and will do our best to ensure you are allocated the quietest room possible.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed 5 July 2012

I stayed here last week for one night and after a horiffic experience in Clonmel, I found the hotel to top class, the food was great and the rooms (although) a little run down in areas were fine and I understand that the hotel is upgrading rooms which is fair enough. The gunness in the bar was good and had a pleasant experience. For the price, I think it is great value. I have put this hotel on our company list for Waterford and will be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Stayed here just the one night with my husband and son. The lobby was welcoming, but the dark grey walls coupled with the dark grey carpet leading to all the rooms were oppressive.
Our room was clean and tidy, although the bathroom had a lot of mould spots around and the hot water ran brown! Our room looked right out onto a main street with offices looking directly across into our room. Some form of net curtain/blind would have been nice to avoid us having to keep the curtains drawn. Beds were like sleeping on concrete slabs.
The restaurant was vastly overpriced compared to the rest of the restaurants in the town which forced us out in the worst weather Ireland has seen for years. There really is no need for the prices.
Breakfast the next morning was cold, although the continental selection was very good.
Certainly wouldn't return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room on arrival. No one should have to pay top price for a rubbish room
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This hotel is perfectly located to explore Waterford but our stay was let down by the abismal room that we stayed in. Our view looked out over the kitchen roof and the extractor fans or ventilation units were running constantly. I tried closing the curtains to keep out some of the noise and the curtain pole fell off the wall. The room was also extremely warm and the heat could not be adjusted. The only saving grace was having the use of the pool and I have to admit that the food was fairly decent also with a good breakfast on both mornings.

• Stayed: August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy accommodation. I am sorry for our shortcoming in this area.
I am very pleased however that you did enjoy our food and leisure facilities.
We are fortunate have a great city centre location ideal for exploring Waterford.

I do hope you will return to us again in the future.

Best Wishes,

Alicia Maguire

Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed here with a large group of colleagues. The hotel decor is older but it did the job for us (particularly for the price). At check-in the staff were very helpful and dealt well with our large group. Some of our party were stuck at Cork airport due to flight delays and the hotel staff went out of their way to find a way for them to be transported to Waterford. They also made an excellent restaurant recommendation and phoned ahead to secure us a table. I would be happy to stay here again.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that the team took such good care of you during your time with us.

We do appreciate your kind words and I look forward to welcoming you back the Tower again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Apart from the friendly staff the rooms need doing up, the heat in the room was overwhealming,the noise from the room above when they walked about was annoying and the noise from the street all night long gave us no sleep due to road works and a rock breaker at 5am.Dinner and breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Try and get room at rear and high up as possible.There is no a/c so rooms very hot at night and room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the Waterford City Council works and the disruption they caused you. We had not been made aware that this work was taking place and did our utmost to get this work stopped during the night.

I am delighted you enjoyed our food offering. We are fortunate to have a talented, hard working team of chefs in our kitchen.

We do appreciate your kind words and I do hope you will return to us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

I took a group of 32 senior citizens to the Tower Hotel Waterford last week and I must say we all enjoyed our stay there for four nights.The staff were most helpful and friendly.Rooms were clean and comfortable,and the food was only fab.and lots of it.

Room Tip: front of house a bit noisey from street traffic
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am delighted your Senior Citizens Group enjoyed their time with us. We really enjoyed having you all.

Waterford is indeed a great city to visit and has a huge amount to offer for groups looking for a varied experience.

We really do appreciate your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Tower again in the near future.