“Rustic place”

Tower Hotel Waterford
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is old and it did not have air conditioning in the room; they let us borrow a small fan for the night. The bathroom was clean because it looked like it was just remodeled. The reception staff were indifferent. The baggage helpers were nice and caring. The price for one room $157 was too much for the poor quality the hotel has. The location is great but I would not stay there again. The room set up was poor.

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel because is too much money for what you get.
2  Thank Sonia M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I and my family stayed for 3 days for my aunt's 80th birthday ,the staff we're very attentive and carring,this is only my second review but I just had to tell everyone about this excellent hotel and all the excellent staff.

2  Thank Glynis11252
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Hotel looks great from the outside and the reception area is also nice, but it has a bar/function room next to the reception desk. When we arrived it was in full swing with music blaring. This continued late into the night, well after midnight and was easily heard from our room, even though it was further back in the hotel. The room was run down, the bin in the bathroom had a broken lid, the window did not close completely and it was facing the street so therefore all we heard over night was the passing traffic. When we went down to breakfast in the morning there was a large selection of food on offer, which all looked good. We ordered a pot of tea, which came in a silver pot. This pot was dirty on the outside, so I can only imagine what the inside was like. I also went to get some milk for the tea as the staff were busy, so I poured milk into a glass only to find the glass had orange juice peel in it. I picked up nine other glasses and each of them were just as dirty. Not very impressive. I would definitely never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sm05060
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Basically, as "we" say these days, there is very little wrong with this hotel. Clean,reasonably priced,reasonable location. But, before you book, check that is no "music" booked for the hotel on your night.
We stayed for one night in a suite on the second floor. Retired to bed at ten and the racket started right below our room. It was so loud the windows were rattling. This went until past midnight. Complaint to the reception, and "People were enjoying themselves", we were not. You have been warned.

Room Tip: Right at the back
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bravo33
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our vehicle broke down outside of Waterford and the Tower Hotel is the best known hotel and Waterford landmark so that's where we headed. The night staff were 9/10, made us feel welcomed and safe while waiting till early in the morning for lifts home; I envied those who had the pleasure of staying over-night in hotel! Thank you again Tower Hotel for everything.

Room Tip: Location of this hotel is spot-on, service is 9/10, worth dropping in and checking it out
1  Thank Paigebluepoppy
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Starting with the positives, the Tower Hotel is easy to find, has ample secure parking, the coffee is good and every single staff member I spoke to was without exception warm, helpful, professional and delightful. Five stars for service!

My "smart room" came equipped with fast wi-fi, a decent size desk, good quality furnishings (new carpet!), plenty of plug sockets, bottled water, a cute old fashioned alarm clock (nice touch) and a safe.

Unfortunately, all the smart rooms are at the front, and the front is very, very noisy. On a sweltering July night with no aircon there is no option but to open the window, giving you a straight choice between breathing or sleeping. Unless you have earplugs, sleeping tablets, or go to bed drunk... otherwise the sound of motorbikes going up and down the quay, vehicle suspensions clanking as they negotiate the corner outside, and drunks talking loudly at all hours as they walk home from goodness knows where at 3.30 a.m., is apt to drive you mad.

The good news is that the rooms at the rear are gradually being converted to the smart room format (which is deservedly popular). When that happens I will be back!

If you're a heavy sleeper then I can recommend the Tower, but this country dwelling girl who can't cope with traffic noise will have to book a rear facing room next time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Devon1964
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on business and booked a budget room with breakfast included. The room was surprisingly spacious and had a bath which I was thrilled with considering most budget rooms are shower only. It was also quiet which was a great bonus but the real pleasure was that no matter where I went in the hotel every member of staff acknowledged me. The young woman on reception who checked me in (and regretfully I never got her name) even called me by my first name which was a pleasant surprise every body was very friendly which is a rarity nowadays. I ate in the harbour bar as I had done on several occasions when staying in Waterford because the food is excellent reasonably priced and again the staff are very friendly and efficient with particular acknowledgement to Dara who was very helpful. I look forward to returning in December and building upon this pleasant experience. The only downside was the desk in the bedroom was sticky where a previous occupant had left a fizzy drink which had not been cleared properly and the wifi was not great but it didn't impair the visit and I look forward to December with enthusiasm.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo