“Great food, value, service”

Bianconi Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 178 Restaurants in Waterford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Great food, value, service”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We recently ate here with my parents (as their guest) & I was firstly pleasantly suprised at the choice on the menu. The whole meal was delicious & the service excellent. When the potatoes & veg arrived for the main course, several of the waiting staff arrived at once, making sure that everything was piping hot.
The only small problem was that, my Mother & I both had the salmon & cod for main course & when it arrived it was lukewarm at best. It was replaced within minutes & we also got hot side dishes replaced without having to ask.
I was delighted with the coconut panacotta, it was excellent. The perfect consistancy with a pineapple & chilli compote.
I will definitely be returning & would highly recommend it for a evening meal

• Visited July 2013

Downham Market, United Kingdom
“Gerry”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Excellent service and food, The Hotel caters for coach tours so it is advisable to book a table to avoid clashing with one of those. The staff are most pleasant and friendly and the food good,

Visited July 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Great value”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Had the Early Bird Menu and really enjoyed everything. Great service too. The restaurant is also beautifully located overlooking the river.

Visited May 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“The Breakfast Experience”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This is the best breakfast experience I have had in some time and having enjoyed this veritable feast on a number of occasions in the recent past can whole-heatedly recommend this to anyone who loves their first meal of the day as much as I do.
The meal is a combination of buffet and table-service. The buffet table has quite a good selection of attractive options. Apart from the juices, you have a choice of breads including the local blaa, a soft-dough bun which is a local product and indeed very popular in Waterford. It is the direct antithesis of the French bread-roll. There is some wholemeal porridge which is on offer with a choice of several accompaniments including (rather exotically) Baily's liquor…. but I passed on that and had the cereal with the more traditional honey and cream instead. It was delicious. Yoghurts are good too. There is a variety of different types of honey: as well as plain honey there is cinnamon honey and a few other exotics here. And the table is attractively laid out so that it is inviting. And being a round table you will rarely see a queue forming here.
The choice for the "cooked" breakfast is generous also: you can have kippers (delicious), pancakes (good) these are the US type and not the French crépes which I prefer, and the customary Irish fry which is freshly cooked to order. No tired sausages or bacon or black and white puddings here.
The coffee is excellent and the service friendly and efficient. The table itself is attractively set and is inviting to sit at. Music is conspicuous by its welcome absence. And for €15 how can you go wrong? If you stay in the hotel, breakfast is included in the price. Two minor niggles: please clear the finished buffet items from the table sooner and do not overfill the coffee pot as it is impossible to pour without soiling the table cloth. These are very minor points however. The breakfast is worth travelling for, believe me. I'll be there again tomorrow!

• Visited May 2013
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Good Grades, With Caution”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

It is my general rule not to eat in a hotel dining room (other than breakfast) unless: I am in France or Belgium, or the city is under siege. The predominance of a captive audience doesn't bode well for creativity or memorability. Of course, there are some hotel restaurants which have earned a distinctive reputation. In other instances, caveat emptor.

Even though we weren't staying at this hotel, we decided to give this one a try. The hotel has earned some distinctions, and frankly we were growing tired of doing ethnic or pub cuisine.

The dining room is quite attractively decorated, at one end having a pleasant view of the river; the wait staff is cheerful and the menu is close to what I would call country club food-nothing too complicated, but emphasis on quality ingredients. If you don't mind sharing the dining room with a tour group, and/or a fairly senior crowd, this is a comfortable place to while away some time. No one is rushing you, and frankly, the somewhat strange team waiting approach tends to make the service longer. In the course of our meal, we lost count after the 6th or 7th server brought or cleared a plate. This is not classic old school European dining where your needs are met before you know you have them; rather someone catches a glimpse that the bread and butter hasn't been brought. Somewhere, back there, there has to be a checklist.

As previous reviewers have commented, the Early Bird Special is a very good buy, although it somewhat restricts your choices. The food was nicely plated, served in generous proportions, and reminiscent of banquet or conference dining. This is a four star hotel, and the amenities reflect that status, but if I could, I would give the food 3 and a half stars for being bland.. I suspect the creativity has been toned down because the hotel believes it is providing its customers what they want or expect.

On balance, we enjoyed our meal-a brief respite from our regular pursuit of superior dining experiences. My main concern, upon reflection, is that when everyone is theoretically responsible for good service in a restaurant, no one is directly responsible to the specific diners. After I paid the bill, no one took the trouble to thank us for coming; and for that matter I wasn't about to go around the dining room to thank the whole crew. I wonder how they divided up my tip?

• Visited May 2013