“Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Athlone, Ireland
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Very nice hotel. Nice and clean rooms. Food is Excellent Plenty on plate. TV in room not all channels work and one's that do go sometimes. I had bus with me was lucky to get parking as coach parking was full of cars at rear of hotel. Most of the Bar staff were great. I had to wait 10mins before my food order was taken was told be with you in a min twice. Other than that we had a good stay. I will be back again.

Room Tip: Was in room over bar very noisy not good room if you're having early night.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Magoo80
Maria K, Director of Sales at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time out to review your stay with us. I'm delighted to hear that you really liked our hotel and found food to be excellent. I'm sorry to hear that you could not get parking at the back of hotel in the coach area. I'm not sure why this was the case. When we are aware of buses coming to our hotel we do our utmost to ensure that there is parking available.
We are experiencing a few problems with our TV reception at the moment. This is due to the changeover to Saorview. I know a lot of hotels are experiencing the same problem. However if you informed reception we can sort this problem for you.
I am sorry to hear that you had to wait 10mins before your food order was taken. I can only assume that this was due to bar being busy. It is very rare that any customer would need to wait that long. After your long wait I am delighted to hear that you loved our food.
Once again thank you very much for your recent stay with us and your kind words.
Treacy's Hotel Spa & Leisure Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed 3 nights at Treacys Hotel in Waterford as part of a coach tour party. This is a large hotel with a few hundred rooms on a number of floors so be aware that it is not suitable really for couples, solo's and possibly families as you could be swamped by the demands of the tour parties. For example, the first breakfast held in the dining room housed over 150 people all wanting to be served, so long queues.
I shall get the bad bit of our stay out of the way first. We were allocated room 123 in Block B. It seems very similar to (and could actually be) the room that features a problem with a storm drain as detailed in a previous review in August 2010. The double bedroom, backing onto a small road and parallel to the river, was adequate but clean. The first night was fine but on return to the room on the second night, we discovered the heating was on full and it was so hot that we turned the thermostat down to zero. After a couple of hours and with the window wide open the room was still as hot, certainly over 25 degrees C and the radiator appeared not to be switching off. Thinking that the temperature would eventually go down, we tried to sleep. However, at 1.0am approx. it started raining and the boxed panelling next to the bed suddenly started to roar with a gushing sound. You would have to be in a coma not to be woken up! Despite the Hotel's explanation that no rainwater drains are inside the building, you have to remember that this hotel is made up of different additions so it is quite plausible to have this drain as it was probably outside the building at one time or another and not relocated when the spa was added/modified.
I went to see the night duty manager with the issues that were troubling us.
The rest is better news. The manager visited our room where the rainwater noise was clearly audible and tried to shut off the heat source without success. We were allocated another room however, on another floor and at the opposite end of the building for the remainder of the night which was really all that could be done. The next day the heating issue was resolved (the radiator wasn’t tested to put it on though!) but the rain noise problem persisted. This really should be looked at as it probably affects the two rooms above the one we were in as well.
My other observations: Rooms cleaned and tidied and fresh towels etc/staff work extremely hard, were well organised and are a lesson to all other hotels in how to run a hotel for guests- they are all also very helpful, happy and polite/food actually was pretty good and main course hot considering the number of people that had to be catered for.
Might be useful to have hotel room maps with a 'You are here’ at various levels and locations in corridors to help the older folk find their way around as many were quite confused. It is quite disorienting as corridor levels are up and down and zigzag.

Room Tip: Rooms were already allocated so no choice. However, I'm sure the staff would change your room if...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank A M
Maria K, Guest Relations Manager at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear AM,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time out to review your time at our hotel. I would like to thank you for your kind words in relation to the running and organisation of our hotel. You are right to say that staff work extremely hard and that all staff are helpful, polite and happy. The latter part of your review is very motivational and all staff have been delighted to know that their hard word pays off.
I am sorry to hear of the heating problem in your room and the inconvenience caused but am glad so see that this problem was rectified as soon as was possible. I have checked with management again and they assure me that no rainwater drains are inside the building. However, this noise maybe from the restaurant next door and their kitchen fans. We do request that their fans are turned off by 11pm and generally this is the case. This is something that we are looking into further. Also, I would just like to let you know that your room 123 is not in Block B.
Treacy's Hotel Spa & Leisure Centre is a family friendly hotel. We ensure that all guests are equally looked after and we do our very best to accommodate all our guests individual needs. We do have a traffic light system in place which let guests know of the busiest times for breakfast and from this guests can choose the time they would like to dine for breakfast.

Once again thank you for your recent stay with us and for your great feedback.

ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

We arrived AT A VERY busy time as there was alot of people checking in but amy at reception was very helpfull And we had our room in no time. Now the co.fusion starts we wher in the new block b and it was too say the least a maze to get go anx crom your roo.m it is soo co.fusing we did have amap but it will take.you a good.shile.to work it out,the room was lovely and very modern .the leisuer center was great pool a little on the cold side for me i saw the girl checking the temp after a woman said her kids where shivvering i did find the changing area also very cold so maybe aheater would do the job.the food in restAurant and bar was superb the dinner in the restaurant was great very good value for money staff in the hotel where greart very
Pfriendly and i wish we where there for longer will be back to this hotel without hesitation and have no problem recomdnding it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Maria K, Director of Sales at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for taking the time out to review your stay at our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you would recommend us to anybody and that you will definitely be back to stay with us again. I'm glad check-in was quick and efficient and that staff were very helpful and friendly. I'm sorry to hear that it took you awhile to find your room. We do have lovely lady Marian who works in customer service who would of been happy to show you to your room. Apologies if she was not available. I'm delighted you found food in the restaurant and bar "superb" and great value for money. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the facilities at our hotel. I'm sorry that you found the pool a little cold. I have spoken to our Leisure Centre Manager on this and he is looking into it at the moment. He is also looking into additional heaters for the changing rooms.
Once again thank you very much for your recent stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My partner and I have just stayed in Treacys for the Easter weekend. Despite being one of four coach tour groups staying that weekend we found things to be extremely well organised. The room was clean, fresh and tastefully decorated. The food was magnificent and the service very good. We were lucky enough to have a room at the front of the hotel, looking out over the river. The entertainment was very good and bar prices reasonable.
The staff we met were friendly and helpful and we felt nothing was too much trouble.
We hope to visit Waterford again one day and when we do we will definitely stay at Treacys.

Room Tip: We found room 106 was just fine.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Maria K, Director of Sales at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Ken,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time out to review your time at our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear our staff get praised for their hard work and service. I am happy to know you found food here was magnificent. I will be sure to let our chefs know!I'm trilled to hear that you will be back with us again.
Once again thank you very much for your stay with and your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you and your partner again soon.
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Family 2 night stay:

Parking far away was not told this so had walk with 2 young kids, buggys,bags etc to hotel. Our room block B means you get lift frm reception to level 1 then walk ages (like walking whole grafton st), then 5 steps to next lift take till level 3.

Kids club basic. extra charge €10 fr dinner + €5 fr film. wouldnt pay €5 fr film and small cup popcorn so did arts + crafts.

Food in bar EXPENCIVE so went out town for dinners.

Swiming pool was freezing. Lockers ONLY hold mobile phone +keys. Changing room freezing my kids were crying + shaking.

Kids got easter egg each on arrival. lovely idea.

Breakfast basic.

At night we could hear runing water into tank very enoying. Towls had stains.

Room Tip: Dont stay BLOCK B to far away
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IrelandLynda
Maria K, Director of Sales at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Lynda,
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for taking the time out to review our Hotel. All feedback is greatly appreciated as it is only with feedback that we can improve the quality and service at our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you that your children were happy with their Easter Eggs on arrival. We felt this was a great way to set a good atmosphere on arrival.
I'm sorry to hear that your felt parking was far away from the hotel. Walking without children it should take you no more than 4 minutes (200 m). I do understand that with children the walk would take a bit longer. We do have a loading bay at the front of hotel where you can park to drop off all buggies bags etc. to make carrying bags less stressful for guests. We always advertise that we provide free off-site parking which is rare for city centre hotels. Alternatively, there is a public carpark across from hotel but charges apply.
The historical nature of our listed hotel building may give the impression that there is a long distance from the foyer to block B. When you become familiar with your room this walk should not take any more than 2 minutes. If we were aware that you would prefer a room closer to the lift we would have done as best we could to accommodate you on this.
In relation to the Kids Club all activities apart from dinner and movie with popcorn and juice is free of charge. We also ran an Easter Egg Hunt on Sunday which was free of charge too. I hope your children enjoyed it. On top of this the Kids Club entertain children through arts & crafts & games etc.
I'm sorry to hear that you found food in the bar expensive. Our prices are extremely competitive and our food is of great quality and there is lots of it too.
I have spoken to our Leisure Centre manager in relation to your comments on the swimming pool and locker area. Our swimming pool is set at a temperature of 29 1/2 degrees.This temperature never changes and is monitored regularly. I am confused to how you were freezing in the swimming pool. The manager is however looking into increases the temperature of the changing room. I'm very sorry to hear that you children were crying & shaking when they left the pool.
I have also spoken with housekeeping about towels which you mentioned had stained on them. All our linen is outsourced to a cleaning company to be cleaned so I am looking into this complaint and I am taking it very seriously.
I am trying to understand where you could hear running water from. I would be delighted if you could give me extra information on this. If you could please contact me on 051-877222 or email me on sales@thwaterford.com.
Once again thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for taking time out to review your stay with us.
Treacy's Hotel Spa & Leisure Centre

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Killarney, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I stayed in this hotel last week for 5 nights as I was attending a course with other delegates. I was happy enough with the quality of service I received. The staff were friendly and were always happy to attend to our needs. The room and en-suite were spotlessly cleaned, nice and spacious for the single occupant. The buffet breakfast was good, however I would prefer if there was some fresh fruit available too.
The pool and gym was lovely. The Jacuzzi, sauna was very relaxing. Other delegates received spa treatment, which they enjoyed.
The hotel is in a very ideal spot, only a few minutes walking distance from all the shops and pubs.
The bar food good. Restaurant food was "okay"
My only big concern is that there was a vending machine outside my room door which made a very load humming noise; any light sleepers might find it hard to sleep listening to this.
Overall it's a good place, and I would come back again.

Room Tip: Light sleepers maybe advised to stay away from room 101- 104 as vending outside machine is loud.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank KatMTR
Maria K, Director of Sales at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear KatMTR,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time our to review your stay at our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you were happy with the level of service you received during your stay and that you found your bedroom to be spotlessly clean. Our facilities in the leisure centre and the spa are great so i am delighted that you had time to enjoy these too. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food at the hotel. I take on board your comment about more fresh fruit being available during breakfast and will speak to our head chef to have this implemented. I have also raised your concern about noise from the vending machine outside your room with management and we are looking to have the vending machine moved. Once again thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for your feedback.
Athlone, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My family (2 adults and 3 small kids) stayed at this hotel on the 23-25 March and we really enjoyed our stay.
The location is excellent and is just a short walk from the main shopping area of Waterford and main nightlife spots.
The Hotel is also located well to suit both a quite holiday or alternatively a busy weekend.
The staff were very helpful and polite.
There is an excellent swimming pool and the kids really enjoyed it.
Our bedroom was very clean and there was an excellent view of the Quay.
The bar of the hotel was busy with music on both nights, which we could not hear from our room.

When I am going to Waterford City I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark C
Maria K, Director of Sales at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Mark,
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for taking the time out to review your time with us. I'm delighted to hear that you loved our facilities and found our staff very helpful and polite! It was a pleasure to have you and your family staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.