“Not bad, but... YGWYPF”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
London, United Kingdom
“Not bad, but... YGWYPF”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Background: Formerly the Days Hotel, the Treacys Hotel Waterford is the 3-star sibling of the more luxurious Treacy Hotel at Enniscorthy, Ireland. Our tour group spent an overnight here as part of a 10-day circle tour of the UK and Ireland.

PROS: Location... location... location is its best asset. Across from River Suir, few steps from the bus station and an easy walking distance to the Edmund Rice Heritage Centre, House of Waterford Crystals, the library, City Square Shopping Centre, pubs, restaurants and other POIs, its location is quite excellent. You could not ask for a better spot. Customer service is their next best asset. Staff were generally friendly and helpful. They are accommodating only to a point, of course. (Remember, they are neither clairvoyant nor omnipotent.) The rooms are of varied sizes and come with the usual perks: TV, safe, coffee/tea, etc. Lastly, they have an in-house pub, indoor heated swimming pool and a heavenly "out of this world" spa. With rooms averaging about £45 per night, they are on the lower- to mid-price range compared to its peers for its 3-star rating.

CONS: A few come to mind --- One of their two elevators is tiny, good for only two people at a time! The hallways are dated, stuff piled along the way and designed like a maze. The way was so circuitous that it reminded me of my trek to Mount Kilimanjaro. And it was difficult to find my room. At first, I was following the room numbers in sequence, let's say, #1... #2... #3... #4... then #10, only to find out that my room (#9) was adjacent to #1, back to where I started! And no sound-proofing of the rooms, particularly closer to the bar. I suspected that most of these features are the result of a very old hotel that was merely half-renovated. True enough, Treacys Hotel was originally built in the mid-18th century and, with the recent modernization, the owners have tried to retain the old-world charm and character of the building. (In short, one man's treasure is another man's garbage, so to speak.) Second, although the breakfast is complimentary and served buffet-style, it felt like it was "controlled" so that you can't get second (or third) helpings. Third, the WiFi signal is spotty at best and did not reach my room. (I had to do my WiFi business in the lobby.) My bigger beef was the 6 Euro per hour charge for internet access. Lastly and, mind you, this is just an observation and not a putdown: There was "old" water still inside my in-suite tea pot, perhaps from the previous guest? (I'm sure this was an isolated incident of inadvertent oversight by housekeeping.) As for miscellaneous things not working, I'm sure a cursory check (as well as periodic auditing) be done so they can be rectified before the next guest arrives to notice it. Be proactive. Don't wait until a guest points it out.

(Caveat: I came to this hotel as a passing tourist -- not as a hotel inspector nor as a visiting in-law. But people have different standards, so I can understand the mixed reviews. I'm not a fussy traveller and can put up with a lot. But we, as reviewers, need to assess a hotel establishment against industry standards -- and not our own. To be fair, hotel management likewise needs to look into why a particular negative review keeps recurring.)

Verdict: There you have it. The pros balance out the cons. The establishment has good positive features and the negatives, though minor, are not insignificant and need to be addressed. As a base to explore the surrounding Waterford area, it is adequate for that purpose. (Oh, yeah, YGWYPF = You Get What You Pay For.) Grade B+.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Eternal_Nomad_12
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m delighted to see you had a pleasant stay here at Treacys Hotel.

Our location is extremely popular with all our guests. As you have pointed out, our hotel is located directly across the street from the local bus station, is less than 2 minutes from Waterford’s train station and only a short stroll to the main shopping and nightlife area. I’m thrilled you found our customer service to your liking. We are very fortunate to have an exceptional team working with us who always give 110% to ensure our guests get the most from their visit. Our dedicated customer service manager is on hand each and every day to help any guest with a query or question. Our in-house Leisure Centre is complimentary for guests and is equipped with a heated 20m swimming pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam room and state-of-the-art gym. Our Beauty Spa, which has received various awards this year including Spa of the Year, has a wide variety of treatments available plus fantastic discounts to hotel guests. I’m delighted you had the opportunity to avail of these services.

I’m sorry to hear you had difficulty locating your room and thought the hotel was maze-like. As one of the largest hotels in Waterford, we do have a large selection of bedrooms and unfortunately not all of these can be to the front. Due to the original structure of the building there are some structural walls within the hotel that can cause the corridors to twist and turn. However, every member of staff is more than happy to assist in helping guests located their rooms and there is extensive signage throughout the hotel for this purpose. Treacys Hotel was indeed originally built in the late 18th Century. The hotel has been modernized extensively in recent years but to please many guests some of its traditional features remain. I’m disappointed you felt the hallways were out-dated and the hotel only ‘merely’ renovated. The hotel does have a public computer with a charge for use. However, WIFI is provided by the hotel in all public areas free of charge, with the recent addition of WIFI available throughout the hotel including bedrooms. Our buffet-style, continental breakfast is in no way controlled. Guests are more than welcome to help themselves at any time during breakfast and may of course get as many helpings as they please.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

Sales and Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights for my friends hens party and could not have picked a better hotel! From the very beginning of the booking process right through to check out the staff could not have been more helpful- a special shout out to Rosemary! A huge thanks to Marian the customer service manager! She met us at the door on arrival and was there right through to check out organizing meals, enduring we were happy with rooms and telling us all the popular night spots. We were pleasantly surprised to be given a suite for the hen and bridesmaids. It was perfect for with its huge sitting room area and kitchen for social gatherings before we went out and for a sing song into the early hours. The other guest rooms in the new wing were gorgeous! Good size, comfortable beds, spotlessly clean. I can't comment on the spa as we never made it there but others used the pool and were very impressed. Food was gorgeous. Overall had an amazing experience and will be recommending this hotel and returning!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Libra1385
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m delighted to see you and your group had a memorable time with us. Here at Treacys, our staff give 110% to ensure our guests have a pleasant and enjoyable time with us. I’m thrilled you were happy to experience our luxurious penthouse suite. Thank you for your lovely comments on our bedrooms. Our hotel was originally built in the 18th Century and we have endeavoured to retain its old world charm and character. However, to ensure we meet all our guests’ requirements, the hotel has been extensively refurbished and modernised with a wide variety of bedroom types, from classic accommodation to our wonderful deluxe suites. Our Leisure Centre, complete with our 18m swimming pool, is equipped with state of the art equipped and I’m delighted some of your group were able to avail of this service.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments. It is always a pleasure to pass them on to the rest of the staff, especially Marian and Rosemary.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stopped from Thursday to Sunday and were greeted very well. The room was cold when we arrived but the staff sorted this straight away. The restaurant was very good with attentive staff and the meal was great. The town was quiet but found some live music venues which finished around midnight. When we returned to the hotel the bar was in full swing and very lively with good music. The staff are great and we really enjoyed the stay. Definitely worth booking and we will go again if we visit Waterford again.

John Callaghan

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear John

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I’m thrilled you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I’m thrilled you enjoyed the meals that were served to you. Our chefs love what they do and prepare each dish to the highest standard. We source only local, fresh produce to ensure a high level of quality. We do indeed have a lively bar, especially during the weekends with a live band performing most nights. This always goes down a treat with both guests and locals alike.

Once again, thank you for your lovely feedback. It is most appreciated and always welcomed.

Glasnevin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have to say Treacys Hotel in Waterford is first class. We stayed this weekend and will definitely return. Rooms were clean and comfortable, staff could not have been nicer,nothing was to much trouble. The entertainment was wonderful, catered for all ages. The children loved the picture show and gave the parents a much deserved break for a couple of hours in the evening. The swimming pool was very good, and Spa excellent. The food was very good, with a great variety. Breakfast was excellent. A short walk along the waterfront brought us to a large range of shops. As we checked out a young girl and her friend were enquiring if there was anywhere they could leave two suitcases and a large bag, as they were only going to be in Waterford for the day before continuing there journey and even though they had not stayed in the Hotel the Customer Service Manager , lovely lady named Marian, allowed them to leave there baggage and go and enjoy there day. All in all a great place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 3 March 2015
Dear guest

Sincere thanks for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to see you had a memorable time here at Treacys.

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our staff and the service we provide. We do our utmost best to ensure every guest has an enjoyable experience and i am thrilled we achieved that on this occasion.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I hope we will be welcoming you back to Treacys Hotel in the near future.

Michelle O'Halloran
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed in the apartment suite on the third floor 346 & 347....we all loved the space & especially the view.Tracey's Hotel is situated on the Quay,ideal as its near the train station,shops,church ...its about a 10 minute walk to the night clubs..hotel itself is full of character & characters.....staff are lovely especially Marian,she's just a lovely Lady and she really makes guests feel very welcome in a very natural way!.We dined in the restaurant in the hotel,we all really enjoyed our meal and the portions were generous.Buffet Breakfast was very good too!!!We also enjoyed the leisure facilities, swimming pool.All in all we really enjoyed our stay,we were in the new block which is quieter as its away from bar & reception....the bar is lively and full of characters who are there to enjoy themselves...spoke to a few people from Dublin who are regulars to the hotel,they always enjoy themselves......we were there for leisure but there was a great mix of people from hen parties, Birthday parties,families etc...love how the hotel has modernised but has kept its old character, old staircase & objects like the old cash register..:-)

• Stayed November 2013
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m thrilled to see you had a memorable time staying with us.

We are indeed located on the Quay right in Waterfords city centre. Our location is always a favourite among guests. We are so fortunate to be directly across the road from the local bus station, a 2/3 minute walk from the train station and only a short stroll to Waterford main shopping, tourist and nightlife areas. Thank you for your complements on our food. Here at Treacys, our chefs love what they do and prepare each meal to their very high standards. We source fresh, local produce to ensure a high quality dish every time. Our Spirit Leisure Centre is available free of charge to hotel guests which included an 18m heated swimming pool and Jacuzzi. I’m delighted you had the opportunity to avail of this wonderful service. Every staff member gives 110% and goes above and beyond to make our guests stay as enjoyable and memorable as possible. I look forward to passing you compliments on to the rest of the team, especially our guest service manager, the fantastic Marian.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. It is always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Lucan, Ireland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Myself & my husband stayed here the weekend. The staff/bar staff were excellent couldn't do a enough for us & were very helpful. Especially the two girls & lad behind the bar on the Friday night they took the time to answer a lot off questions we had about Waterford town (night life etc). Not much off a choice on the set menu in the restaurant but the food was excellent & the service was ok. We stayed in the new block of the hotel, the room was spotless & modern & was away from the noise of the bar. Overall it's was an excellent hotel, great staff & get value for money we will definitely be back. Thanks

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lauracollins25
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Laura

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m delighted you and your husband has an enjoyable stay with us.
I’m thrilled you were happy with the room you were allocated. Here in Treacy’s, we have a wide variety of bedrooms available including classic, family and penthouse rooms to cater for all our guests requirements. I’m happy you found our staff helpful and friendly. We are very fortunate to have a dedicated team working with us who always go above and beyond to make our guests stay as memorable as possible.

Again, thank you for your feedback. It is always a pleasure to be able pass on compliments to the rest of the team.

Kind regards

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Hotel is in a fab location near the shops. The restaurant staff were really friendly and helpful nothing was any trouble to them. My room was spotless and clean and cleaned every day. The food was good and a good selection to choose from. Would have no problem staying here again. Had a ball and the craic was great with great entertainment at night. Really enjoyed my stay here in a fab location.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Weegem06
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. All feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is always a favourite with guests. Our hotel is located in the centre of Waterford City; directly across the street from the local bus station, a 2 minute walk to the local train station and a short stroll to the main shopping area in the city. All the main tourist and family attractions are right on our doorstep. I’m happy you found your room to your liking. Our housekeeping department are some of the best and take pride in ensuring all our bedrooms and public areas are cleaned and kept to a high standard each and every day.

Once again, thank you for your lovely comments.

Kind regards