“Very disappointed second time around”

Treacys Hotel Waterford
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I recently reviewed this hotel after staying for the weekend during the summer. We were so happy with our stay that we decided to return.. unfortunately our second visit didn't live up to the first one. It took us ages to find our room, the corridors were very badly marked with room numbers missing & leading the wrong way. Although we paid more for our stay this time (same days & duration) our room was a lot smaller & the facilities were bit great. The corridor our room was on was cold & dirty & the walls were paper thin, we could hear everything that went on in the room next to & above us. Breakfast was very poor even though we went early, food was cold & undercooked. Overall we were very disappointed with our stay as we were looking forward to our return visit, I don't think we will return again!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m disappointed to see you did not have a pleasant visit with us.

I’m sorry to hear you had difficulty locating your room. As one of the largest hotels in Waterford, we do have a large selection of bedrooms and unfortunately not all of these can be to the front. However every member of staff has a thorough knowledge of the hotel and is more than happy to help in assisting guests locate their rooms. I must disagree with you on the hotel signage. There are no room numbers missing, in fact there is extensive signage throughout the hotel with every room accounted for. I’m shocked you were unhappy with your breakfast. Our continental buffet-style breakfast is always extremely popular with guests. Serving cold, undercooked food is certainly not the high standard we strive for and I will be speaking to our breakfast team on this issue.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Sales and Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We had a great stay. Decent price, quiet room as we requested..Super location, Lovely staff, busy bar with life music all weekend.... very Irish hotel... We eat the bar, food was nice, we did not try food in hotel restaurant, as we arrived after 10 pm and kitchen was closed... We went to La Bohemia restaurant which i can also recommend a lot.. Thank you

Room Tip: our room was located in block B, which was nice and quiet , thank you
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FofiDublin
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I’m thrilled to see you had a pleasant time here in Treacy’s Waterford.
Our location is always extremely popular with all our guests. We are so fortunate to be located directly across the street from the local bus station, less than two minutes from the train station and still be only a short stroll to Waterford’s main shopping and nightlife area. Thank you for your compliments on our food. Our chefs love what they do and strive to deliver an exceptional dish every time. Here at Treacy’s, we are very lucky to have an amazing team working with us who truly go above and beyond to ensure our guests have a worthwhile, memorable stay.

Once again, thank you for your lovely comments. I look forward to passing them on to the rest of the team.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed in this hotel for the weekend and found it basic and clean but one thing I found out was the bar staff an one barmaid in particular was so rude as she totally ignored me when I asked for service very annoying.food was very good but pity about the rude staff, James (London)1/12/13

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jimmy D
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear James

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m disappointed to read you had an unpleasant visit with us.

Thank you for your compliments on our food. Our chefs source only local, fresh ingredients to ensure a high standard and quality.

I’m shocked you found the bar staff rude. As you will see from many previous reviews, Treacys is well known for our excellent customer service and friendly, polite and helpful staff members. I can only apologise for this isolated incident and ask for you to give us a second chance to try and rectify the situation.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Background: Formerly the Days Hotel, the Treacys Hotel Waterford is the 3-star sibling of the more luxurious Treacy Hotel at Enniscorthy, Ireland. Our tour group spent an overnight here as part of a 10-day circle tour of the UK and Ireland.

PROS: Location... location... location is its best asset. Across from River Suir, few steps from the bus station and an easy walking distance to the Edmund Rice Heritage Centre, House of Waterford Crystals, the library, City Square Shopping Centre, pubs, restaurants and other POIs, its location is quite excellent. You could not ask for a better spot. Customer service is their next best asset. Staff were generally friendly and helpful. They are accommodating only to a point, of course. (Remember, they are neither clairvoyant nor omnipotent.) The rooms are of varied sizes and come with the usual perks: TV, safe, coffee/tea, etc. Lastly, they have an in-house pub, indoor heated swimming pool and a heavenly "out of this world" spa. With rooms averaging about £45 per night, they are on the lower- to mid-price range compared to its peers for its 3-star rating.

CONS: A few come to mind --- One of their two elevators is tiny, good for only two people at a time! The hallways are dated, stuff piled along the way and designed like a maze. The way was so circuitous that it reminded me of my trek to Mount Kilimanjaro. And it was difficult to find my room. At first, I was following the room numbers in sequence, let's say, #1... #2... #3... #4... then #10, only to find out that my room (#9) was adjacent to #1, back to where I started! And no sound-proofing of the rooms, particularly closer to the bar. I suspected that most of these features are the result of a very old hotel that was merely half-renovated. True enough, Treacys Hotel was originally built in the mid-18th century and, with the recent modernization, the owners have tried to retain the old-world charm and character of the building. (In short, one man's treasure is another man's garbage, so to speak.) Second, although the breakfast is complimentary and served buffet-style, it felt like it was "controlled" so that you can't get second (or third) helpings. Third, the WiFi signal is spotty at best and did not reach my room. (I had to do my WiFi business in the lobby.) My bigger beef was the 6 Euro per hour charge for internet access. Lastly and, mind you, this is just an observation and not a putdown: There was "old" water still inside my in-suite tea pot, perhaps from the previous guest? (I'm sure this was an isolated incident of inadvertent oversight by housekeeping.) As for miscellaneous things not working, I'm sure a cursory check (as well as periodic auditing) be done so they can be rectified before the next guest arrives to notice it. Be proactive. Don't wait until a guest points it out.

(Caveat: I came to this hotel as a passing tourist -- not as a hotel inspector nor as a visiting in-law. But people have different standards, so I can understand the mixed reviews. I'm not a fussy traveller and can put up with a lot. But we, as reviewers, need to assess a hotel establishment against industry standards -- and not our own. To be fair, hotel management likewise needs to look into why a particular negative review keeps recurring.)

Verdict: There you have it. The pros balance out the cons. The establishment has good positive features and the negatives, though minor, are not insignificant and need to be addressed. As a base to explore the surrounding Waterford area, it is adequate for that purpose. (Oh, yeah, YGWYPF = You Get What You Pay For.) Grade B+.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eternal_Nomad_12
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m delighted to see you had a pleasant stay here at Treacys Hotel.

Our location is extremely popular with all our guests. As you have pointed out, our hotel is located directly across the street from the local bus station, is less than 2 minutes from Waterford’s train station and only a short stroll to the main shopping and nightlife area. I’m thrilled you found our customer service to your liking. We are very fortunate to have an exceptional team working with us who always give 110% to ensure our guests get the most from their visit. Our dedicated customer service manager is on hand each and every day to help any guest with a query or question. Our in-house Leisure Centre is complimentary for guests and is equipped with a heated 20m swimming pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna, Steam room and state-of-the-art gym. Our Beauty Spa, which has received various awards this year including Spa of the Year, has a wide variety of treatments available plus fantastic discounts to hotel guests. I’m delighted you had the opportunity to avail of these services.

I’m sorry to hear you had difficulty locating your room and thought the hotel was maze-like. As one of the largest hotels in Waterford, we do have a large selection of bedrooms and unfortunately not all of these can be to the front. Due to the original structure of the building there are some structural walls within the hotel that can cause the corridors to twist and turn. However, every member of staff is more than happy to assist in helping guests located their rooms and there is extensive signage throughout the hotel for this purpose. Treacys Hotel was indeed originally built in the late 18th Century. The hotel has been modernized extensively in recent years but to please many guests some of its traditional features remain. I’m disappointed you felt the hallways were out-dated and the hotel only ‘merely’ renovated. The hotel does have a public computer with a charge for use. However, WIFI is provided by the hotel in all public areas free of charge, with the recent addition of WIFI available throughout the hotel including bedrooms. Our buffet-style, continental breakfast is in no way controlled. Guests are more than welcome to help themselves at any time during breakfast and may of course get as many helpings as they please.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights for my friends hens party and could not have picked a better hotel! From the very beginning of the booking process right through to check out the staff could not have been more helpful- a special shout out to Rosemary! A huge thanks to Marian the customer service manager! She met us at the door on arrival and was there right through to check out organizing meals, enduring we were happy with rooms and telling us all the popular night spots. We were pleasantly surprised to be given a suite for the hen and bridesmaids. It was perfect for with its huge sitting room area and kitchen for social gatherings before we went out and for a sing song into the early hours. The other guest rooms in the new wing were gorgeous! Good size, comfortable beds, spotlessly clean. I can't comment on the spa as we never made it there but others used the pool and were very impressed. Food was gorgeous. Overall had an amazing experience and will be recommending this hotel and returning!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Libra1385
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m delighted to see you and your group had a memorable time with us. Here at Treacys, our staff give 110% to ensure our guests have a pleasant and enjoyable time with us. I’m thrilled you were happy to experience our luxurious penthouse suite. Thank you for your lovely comments on our bedrooms. Our hotel was originally built in the 18th Century and we have endeavoured to retain its old world charm and character. However, to ensure we meet all our guests’ requirements, the hotel has been extensively refurbished and modernised with a wide variety of bedroom types, from classic accommodation to our wonderful deluxe suites. Our Leisure Centre, complete with our 18m swimming pool, is equipped with state of the art equipped and I’m delighted some of your group were able to avail of this service.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments. It is always a pleasure to pass them on to the rest of the staff, especially Marian and Rosemary.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stopped from Thursday to Sunday and were greeted very well. The room was cold when we arrived but the staff sorted this straight away. The restaurant was very good with attentive staff and the meal was great. The town was quiet but found some live music venues which finished around midnight. When we returned to the hotel the bar was in full swing and very lively with good music. The staff are great and we really enjoyed the stay. Definitely worth booking and we will go again if we visit Waterford again.

John Callaghan

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear John

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I’m thrilled you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I’m thrilled you enjoyed the meals that were served to you. Our chefs love what they do and prepare each dish to the highest standard. We source only local, fresh produce to ensure a high level of quality. We do indeed have a lively bar, especially during the weekends with a live band performing most nights. This always goes down a treat with both guests and locals alike.

Once again, thank you for your lovely feedback. It is most appreciated and always welcomed.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have to say Treacys Hotel in Waterford is first class. We stayed this weekend and will definitely return. Rooms were clean and comfortable, staff could not have been nicer,nothing was to much trouble. The entertainment was wonderful, catered for all ages. The children loved the picture show and gave the parents a much deserved break for a couple of hours in the evening. The swimming pool was very good, and Spa excellent. The food was very good, with a great variety. Breakfast was excellent. A short walk along the waterfront brought us to a large range of shops. As we checked out a young girl and her friend were enquiring if there was anywhere they could leave two suitcases and a large bag, as they were only going to be in Waterford for the day before continuing there journey and even though they had not stayed in the Hotel the Customer Service Manager , lovely lady named Marian, allowed them to leave there baggage and go and enjoy there day. All in all a great place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2015

Dear guest

Sincere thanks for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to see you had a memorable time here at Treacys.

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our staff and the service we provide. We do our utmost best to ensure every guest has an enjoyable experience and i am thrilled we achieved that on this occasion.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I hope we will be welcoming you back to Treacys Hotel in the near future.

Michelle O'Halloran