“Avoid at all costs ...”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“Avoid at all costs ...”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Poor food - delivered to my room uncovered (hopefully the person carrying the food didn't cough or sneeze ...), no cutlery and no condiments - it took the hotel three trips to get it right. So it was taken off my bill - would rather have had good service and decent food. Fire alarms ringing at 6am. Impossible to find your way around the hotel - impossible to get to the 3rd floor without taking 2 elevators. The spa is not part of the hotel. Room was not serviced. Breakfast on the first day was only half delivered and when I did get the full breakfast it was stale. Did not even bother with breakfast the 2nd morning it was so bad. I went for a 2 day break as a personal treat and left feeling miserable, stressed and annoyed. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Lynne T
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Lynne

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. All feedback is greatly appreciated. I’m very disappointed you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel.

I believe you spoke to our General Manager John Treacy shortly before your departure and also have been in correspondence with the hotel owner. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the issues that arose during your visit. However, I would like to point out that Spirit Beauty Spa is part of the hotel. It is located in Block B of the hotel and there is extensive signage throughout the hotel directing guests to this area and also to reception. As you will see from other reviews, we strive to assist our guests in any way possible and make their stay an enjoyable one. I’m disappointed this was not the case here.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to speak to all the relevant departments regarding your issues.

Sales and Marketing Executive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Polish first
Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Went on a short coach trip for the first time and stayed in Treacy's for three nights from Fri 11th April leaving on Monday 14th.We were met by Marion Long and our rooms were sorted in 10mins.The hotel is as some people say old looking but it has character and I and my family loved it.The lads and girls serving the food and getting drinks from the bar where brilliant.They could not do enough for you to make you feel at home.The first night we had our meal and from start to finish it took 2 hrs,but there were 4 other coach tours in as well,but the next 2nights everything was well sorted.The food was excellent.My wife whom I describe as a plain fussy eater and did not like some of the food on the menu was treated brilliant.Between Marion Long and I think it was John Treacy they could not do enough and literally she could have anything,nothing was a problem.The breakfast was buffet style and the food was hot and really good quality and cooked well.Not like in some hotels I have stayed in.I got to the bar once and the craic was brilliant,music was brilliant and it was like the UN on tour drinking Guinness except it was tourists having a good time.Our room 309 was excellent.It was large with 3 single beds(2 pushed together to make a double)and just beside a lift and it was spotless.
When we got home my wife told me get on the computer to book a weekend at Treacy's and we have 2 dates picked and we are definitely going back but we are taking the car to give us more freedom instead of being tied to coach times.
So,to all at Treacy's thank you from us for a brilliant stay and we will be back this year,hopefully July or August.
P.S.If the politicians stayed at Treacy's there would be no war's.They would be too busy enjoying themselves.

Room Tip: If you have a family.Ask for room 309.There are three single beds in it.The room is large and just r...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear David

Thank you for your recent visit to us here in Treacy’s Waterford and for also taking the time to write this review. All feedback is greatly welcomed and always appreciated by us. I’m thrilled you had an enjoyable and memorable experience at our hotel.

Thank you for your wonderful comments on our staff. We are so fortunate to have such an exceptional team working with us who truly go above and beyond to ensure our guests experience a relaxing and enjoyable stay. I must apologise for the delay in serving your meal on your first night but I’m glad this was sorted quickly and efficiently. I’m delighted you were satisfied with the room you were allocated and found it spotless. Timbertoes Bar has nightly entertainment for our guests enjoyment. I’m thrilled you had the opportunity to experience some ‘ceol agus craic’ that many of our guests take pleasure in.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful feedback. I look forward to passing it on to the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Treacy’s Hotel Waterford very soon.

Dublin
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 rooms in this place for a spa break. On arrival hotel looked shabby and rundown out front but we were willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. On check in reception was nice and receptionist was friendly giving us 2 rooms in the newly refurbished part block b coz she said they were nicer rooms. Well I'd hate to see what the older rooms were like!
The corridors were long and dark there were gaps under some of the private doors (not finished), wall plaques hanging off near the lift and key card entry unit was about to fall off on our floor. We had to push it in to the wall to make it work most if the time. The lift floor was dirty with jelly babies stuck to sides. Not a good first impression and we hadn't got to our rooms yet
Between our 2 rooms had a bath tap broken, no cold water in sink, bedside reading light not working, TV remote volume only worked so we couldn't change channels, TV wobbly, smell in room on 1 of the evenings, windows & mirrors dirty, no toilet brush. Cleaners had no chemicals on their trolleys for cleaning the rooms!
Single bed springs broken horrible sleep on 1st night. Bath tub filthy bathroom floor not washed. Bed matress protector ripped and duvets had seen better days full of bobbles & the coloured yellow they were so old.
Balconies not great with cigerette butts outside disgusting when you don't smoke and years of dirt in between track on sliding doors. The room was very small with tasteful decor but nothing like advertised.

1st night we ate in Croker restaurant coz deal was bottle of wine free with paying meal. Needless to say dinner wasn't great and we had to return the salmon coz it was raw inside. I wasn't charged for the salmon and received another bottle of wine for my troubles and appoligies from chef. Probably never eat salmon again and felt a bit dodgie the next day but lucky for them I wasn't poisoned.

Breakfast was served in the ballroom which was in bad need of clean and a good bang of a duster. Good selection on the buffet menu but the carvery unit holding the hot food was disgusting, looked like it wasn't washed in weeks if ever. The fry was cold probably not safe to eat at 9am on both mornings after been put out at 7. The food safety authority would have shut them down! There was no clean plates available..Staff knew we were looking for scrambled egg and clean plates she stuck her head out from kitchen without uttering a word and giving us a dirty look. Had to go ask receptionist for more things that should be topped up regularly at breakfast. Coffee tastes like tar.. seriously in this day and age us it too much to ask. Breakfast staff not helpful at all.

Ordered a toastie & tea for lunch in the bar. Waited 30 mins for sambo while tea had gone cold by then and then only to find a hair in the coleslaw:( staff cleaning the tables with a dirty shredded rag and table was left still dirty. Place is never cleaned by the looks of it and the dust is everywhere.
Booked in for spa treatments. Our therapist was fantastic but the thermal suite was not open which was not stated when making the reservation and the whole reason we were visiting. Couldnt use our 40euro spa credit either after spending over 400 euro between us in the place. Not impressed
Leisure centre is nice pool sauna steam room very clean and tidy. Lockers are tiny only fit keys & wallet in! Pool was quiet but it is also open to public so beware.

When checking out we complained to receptionist after her asking was everything ok with out stay. She took a a4 page of items that was wrong and told us that the manager wasn't on duty and would call us later that day. Never received that call either! Don't believe that there is no manager available for people checking out!!
Very disappointed definitely not a 3 star hotel more like a 1 star hostel at best and they have no standards.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SupermumDublin
Maria K, Owner at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent stay and for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We would always encourage our guests to contact reception should they experience any problems, our reception team are always happy to help.
I am very disappointed to see that you found the rooms dirty, as you can see in many other reviews, we are constantly complimented for how clean the hotel and accommodation is. I have brought this up with our housekeeping manager for to investigate and take appropriate action. I would like to highlight that the holes in the duvet covers are hand holes to make it easier to put on the duvet cover and not tears. I can assure you that our housekeepers to indeed use approved cleaning products in the rooms however we do not use chemicals such as bleach as this can be harmful to both staff and guests. As regards the Jelly Babies in the lift, we are a family oriented hotel and have children staying all year, kids sometimes drop their food and this cannot be helped, while we do check the lifts and corridors at regular intervals throughout the day, we are unable to have someone there 24/7. Had you called reception regarding any of these issues at the time our team would have been more than happy to help.
With regards to the TV, all TV’s are fitted into a surround which is fitted securely to the wall to ensure that they do not move or wobble. Upon investigation out General Manager found that the TV remotes were set to satellite rather than TV which would explain why they would only control the volume. Had you called down to reception they would have been delighted to help and get this sorted in seconds.
As regards your dinner, please accept my most sincere apologies. I can assure you that this is not common place in Croker’s Restaurant. However I was happy to see that the situation was resolved so quickly and you were compensated for the inconvenience.
Our Breakfast is served in the Wallace Suite in the hotel which I can assure is cleaned every morning after breakfast and also every evening after dinner. I would also like to point out that we had 300 people for breakfast on Sunday and 200 people on Monday which would make it impossible for the food that was put out at 7am to still be there at 9, as the food is cooked and replenished as necessary in our kitchen. Unfortunately the wait you experienced for the scrambled egg was because again it was being cooked fresh in the kitchen. I do however, apologize that your coffee was too strong, had you asked a member of staff they would have been delighted to make you a weaker cup.
I am sorry you had to wait so long for your sandwich in the bar. However I would like to point out that you were informed at the time of ordering that 16 toasted sandwiches were ordered by another group in the bar shortly before yours. You were also informed by our bar staff that there would be a longer wait than usual, as our kitchen is only equipped to do 6 toasties at a time. The cloths used to clean the tables are steeped every night after the bar is closed and also halfway through the day so I can assure they are not dirty. Just like the bar is cleaned down by a night porter after it closes and also given a once over in the mornings when the bar staff come on duty.
I am delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience with your therapist in the Spa. Our Thermal Suite in the Spa needs to be pre booked however, as stated on your voucher, you had full access to our Thermal Suite in the leisure centre which boasts a Sauna, Steam Room, Jacuzzi, Cold Water Shower and Drench Bucket. The reason you could not use the €40 Spa Credit is because this is only valid off brochure treatments and not valid with any other special offers, which is clearly stated on your voucher. The treatments you availed of were through our April Pick N Mix which meant that you got 3 treatments to the value of €110 for only €55 which was already a 50% reduction. I would also like to point out that our Leisure Centre is not open to the public. As with most hotel Leisure Centres we also accept local membership. Our facilities are open to both guests and members.
I am disappointed to see that you have written that you never received his call when in fact our Manager, John Treacy called you at 8.15pm the day you checked out after investigating the issues you experienced.
Again I would like to thank you for your stay and also for your review. I would like to highlight again that had you contacted reception during your stay they would have been happy to rectify any of the problems you encountered. I am sorry that you did not find your stay enjoyable, I can assure you that this is not commonplace here at Treacy’s Hotel.
Kind Regards,
Grace Marie Butler
Sales & Marketing

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

County Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Well the room was clean and comfy the night was ruined by the noise level of other guests and lack of working internet available. The food was nothing to write home about, pasta was tasteless and the chicken goujons were over cooked. Neither myself nor colleagues were impressed to discover that we had been in rooms with a tour bus group around us, who all left at 5am for their tour. Paper thin walls meant we could hear the showers and hairdryers.

However management were understanding and did apologise, just a pity it meant a days work after no real sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to avoid tour buses and loud rooms away from the main road
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I'm disappointed your overall experience of our hotel was unsatisfactory.

I would like to apologise for the noise level in the hotel during your stay. Although the staff and management make every effort to ensure noise levels are kept to a minimum at all times, some guests demonstrate a total disregard for other people. We appreciate your understanding with regards to this issue. I would also like to apologise for the problems you experienced with our internet. Thank fully that problem has not been resolved. I'm shocked you were unhappy with the meal you were served. As you will see from other reviews, your experience of our food is not the norm and I will be sure to pass your feedback on to our kitchen department.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated and always welcomed.

Ballarat
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Staff very welcoming and accommodating. Rooms very quietbdedpitr hotel being very busy. Bar has excellent service. Restaurant served delicious, freshly made food and quick service. Welcomed by maitre d'.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vicky L
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent visit to Treacy’s Hotel Waterford and for sharing your views following your stay. It is always an immense pleasure to read a review such as yours and know our hard-work and dedication is worthwhile.

Once again, thank you for your lovely remarks about our staff and our hotel. I look forward to passing on your kind comments to the rest of our team. I do hope you will pay us a visit again soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at this hotel for 2 nights midweek ... this hotel which states got a major refurbishment when it changed from The bridge inn to treacys is practically an understatement
The hallways are old and the decor is out dated it could seriously bldo with fresh paint to brighten the corridors ..
On arrival at our room we found it to be very narrow and there was quiet a musty smell the room had a double and single bed and what looked like a pull out pullnan chair as a third bed the cover on the pullman was badly stained
The bed was comfortable enough and there were extra pillows available in what looked like a man made press come wardrobe ... tea coffee an iron and board and safe were available in room
The room decor leaves much to be desired .. and parking is by arrangement with a local car park few minutes walk away from the hotel

The bar timbertoes .. was nice and staff throughout the hotel were very nice friendly and accomodating
This hotel is rated 3 star but is more a 2star
This hotel would seriously benifit from a major refurbishment ... to take the star ratings higher

Glitterpants dublin

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor. I’m disappointed you were unhappy with your stay at our hotel.

Here at Treacy’s, we strive to make each guests stay a memorable and pleasant experience. Although our hotel has indeed undergone extensive refurbishment in recent years, I am extremely concerned to learn of your disappointment with aspects of the hotel such as the décor and your bedroom. Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention so we can act accordingly.

However, I am delighted you found our staff to be accommodating and friendly.
Once again, thank you for sharing your views and I do hope you will consider returning to us in the future.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We have just had a fantastic four day stay in this hotel. Don't let the tired exterior of this hotel put you off, it's on a very busy main road and that reflects in the outside decor, inside however; it is amazing, absolutely spotless, the bedrooms are a good size, with beautiful views over the river Suir, the restaurant serves lovely fresh food, the homemade soups are the nicest i have ever had, but the best thing about this hotel are undoubtably the staff. They cannot do enough to help you. It is a family run hotel, the manager, John Treacy has a hands on approach, even serving meals in the restaurant, The rest of the staff are friendly, courteious and so very helpful. Treacy's hotel is near to the town centre, has a great bar attached to it called Timber Toes, great live entertainment every night. Great Craic This hotel is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: i had a view over the river, but if i didn't close the window the noise from the traffic would h...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I’m delighted to hear you had a memorable and enjoyable stay with us.

I’m thrilled you found the room you were allocated to your liking. Here at Treacy’s we have a number of bedrooms available, ranging in size and décor to best suit each of our customers. Thank you for your compliments on our food. We source only local, fresh ingredients to ensure quality. Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff. We are extremely fortunate to have such a dedicated team working with us. Each member of staff truly gives 110% and strive to make every guests stay an unforgettable experience.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. I look forward to passing them on to the rest of the team.