“Would not recommend”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Dublin, Ireland
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Overall impression of hotel, rooms was not great - for anyone with mobility issues the stairs to certain rooms could also be a problem. Breakfast was awful - probably the worst hotel breakfast I have ever had, food not good quality the room it was held in I presume was a function room at some stage and not alot has been done to make it feel like a proper dining room - choice very limited if you didn't want a poor quality fry! Staff at the reception/bar are friendly and efficient however, the upkeep of the hotel in general lets the staff down! Back stairs to the rooms - needs to be hoovered and area cleaned up. Rooms very warm despite window being left open all night (room at side of the hotel so traffic noise wasn't great). Overall very disappointing - won't be going there again.

Room Tip: to reduce noise I would say a room to the rear of the hotel - heavy traffic to front and side
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit in our hotel. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with you directly. We value all feedback, both positive or otherwise, and customer satisfaction is our number one priority. I am extremely disappointed to read your review.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at sales@thwaterford.com

Michelle O'Halloran
Sales & Marketing Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
County Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have just come back from spending 8 fantastic nights in Treacys Hotel in Waterford city. From the moment we walked into the hotel we got a lovely welcome and the children were made to feel so special. It was the start of a great holiday. We met the girls at reception and Marian Long who is the customer liason person for the hotel. Marian is such an asset to the hotel because she made the whole week feel as if we were at home from home.
We weren't long in our family room which was big and suitable for a family of 5. The kids couldn't wait to go swimming and they had such fun and it was well managed. They then went off to the kids club for the evening with Natasha for arts and crafts and to watch a DVD. They all came back happy. While they were gone we had a lovely meal in Crokers restaurant and it was very good value and the service was first class.
All in all the whole week that we stayed there the children and ourselves had a great time. Each member of staff was so helpful and there was never a problem if we wanted anything. The great thing about it was the location because we could walk up the town or go to the beach and it just felt very safe.
We will be happy to go back again and the children cant wait to return because they loved it so much.

Catherine and Francis Kenny Galway

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Catherine K
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to see you had such an enjoyable family holiday here at Treacy's Hotel, Waterford.

Thank you for your compliments on our staff. Our hotel is well known for having a dedicated team who strive to provide exceptional customer service.

I'm so pleased you were satisfied with the family room you were allocated. We have a number of bedrooms available, ranging in size and location to cater for all our guest’s requirements and taste.

Our Spirit Leisure Centre, with 20m swimming pool is complimentary for all our guests. The Leisure Centre is equipped with state-of-the-art gym, sauna, jacuzzi and gym studio. I’m delighted you had the opportunity to enjoy the swimming pool during your stay.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our Kids Club. Our Kids Club has proven to be very popular with our guests and I am delighted to hear that your children enjoyed their time there. Our complimentary Kids Club includes morning and evening activities. We do indeed offer an optional extra ‘Movie Night’ for the cost of €5.00 a child.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed the food and the first class service in Croker's Restaurant. We source only local, fresh ingredients to ensure quality.

Our location is always a favourite with our guests. Our hotel is only a short walk to Waterford's main shopping and family activities area. We are also located right on Waterford's Quay in close proximity to the Viking Triangle and all the local tourist attractions.

Once again, thank you for such an amazing review. I look forward to passing on your lovely comments to the rest of the team especially Marian and Natasha.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Treacys Waterford Hotel in Ireland:
------------------------------------------

We stayed in this hotel overnight in June this year as a part of a tour group.
The location of this hotel in Merchant Quay is excellent facing a river.
Some of the rooms have river view. The rooms are located in 2 levels in each floor.
After you get off the elevator, for some rooms you have to walk with your luggage through a ziz-zag corridor and climb a little bit because of arrangement of rooms on
Different levels. You find a bit confused in reaching your room from the lift for a while till you become familiar with the place. Otherwise rooms are large, clean and well maintained with tea/coffee making facilities, hair dryer, fresh towels and bath gel in bath room. The hotel offers a range of dining options with a number of bars and restaurants serving specialty food with live music in the evening. There are also a number of eateries on either side of the hotel when you step out of the hotel on to the road. A few Indian restaurants are also there within 2 minutes walking distance from the hotel. We had buffet breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant in the lobby. It was nice. Overall the courteous staff made our stay comfortable and memorable.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm so pleased you were satisfied with the room you were allocated. Here at Treacy’s Hotel, Waterford we have a number of bedrooms available, ranging in size and location to cater for all our guest’s requirements.

Indeed our rooms at the front of the hotel do offer a lovely view of Waterford quay. I’m delighted you found your room to be clean and well maintained. Our housekeeping staff always make every effort to ensure that all our rooms are maintained to a high standard.

I’m sorry to hear that you found the layout of the rooms confusing. All our corridors are extensively sign posted. Any guests having difficulty finding their room are advised to contact reception for assistance. They will be more than happy to help.

We do indeed offer a range of dining options for our guests. Our bar, Timbertoes, serves an extensive bar menu daily and also has nightly live entertainment during the summer months. The Wallace restaurant serves breakfast each morning. We also have two restaurants open in the evenings, our very popular Crokers restaurant serves dinner nightly and also Chiang Mai Thai restaurant serves delicious Thai cuisine in a warm and soothing atmosphere.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the breakfast you had with us. We serve a buffet style continental breakfast which includes cereals, fresh fruit, and a choice of yogurts, fruit juices and also hot food.

Once again, thank you for such a wonderful review. We hope to welcome you back to Treacy’s Hotel, Waterford very soon.

Bradford, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My 84 year old mum and me were at this hotel for four nights commencing Sunday 27th July with National Holidays. The rooms are uncomfortably hot, even with a fan and the window open, the air conditioning was never on. I have read on trip advisor about the management saying that it's broken and needs a part and then it's working again blah blah, well it's out of order again!! The best part of the food was breakfast but the evening meal menu is very limited, three of the four nights we were there it was chicken in peppercorn sauce (I had it twice)!! My main complaint though was our final night (Wednesday 30th July) we were put into a different restaurant from the one we had been in since we arrived but we didn't know that until we come down for dinner, the reason being that the hotel was hosting a Debutante Ball for teenagers (I would say age wise 16-18) all getting out of their limos and coaches in their finery and hugging tins of lager (and carrying tins/bottles of alcohol (which we could clearly see in their carrier bags). It wasn't rocket science that on their arrival I (and our coach party could quite clearly work out how this was going). We came up to our room about 10.00pm and we had to close the window in our very hot room as the screaming and hollering from these "debutantes" was horrendous! Did it end there... Afraid not as the screaming, hollering and swear words from these very drunk kids (that I of a woman of a certain age has never heard of) came onto the corridors of all floors of the hotel at 12.30 am and 2.30 am. You can imagine how unsettling and upsetting that must be at that time in a morning. I rang reception but you could tell that they didn't know how to handle this situation, apparently they hired a security team but unfortunately they didn't know how to handle them also, they were absolutely out of their depth, teenagers and drink don't go very well together and how the hotel management could not see this is beyond me. Two people on our coach tour were assaulted by these out of control teenagers but the management chose to side with the drunk kids rather than these two adults. Also the fire alarm was going off at 10.45 pm for quite some time and when I rang reception I was lied to and told that it was because someone was having a shower and that the bathroom door was left open and they were trying to locate the room. In fact the real reason was the temporary staff they had brought in to help out on this particular evening were deliberately setting it off and laughing, how did I know that, because friends of ours were still in the bar and saw it with their own eyes!! I have yet to take this matter up with National Holidays but I will be checking with them as to whether they knew about this booking and if they did why didn't they let their customers know because if I would have known what was happening on the last night I would not have touched this hotel with a bargepole!! Can I suggest that if you are thinking of booking into this hotel I suggest you ask if they are hosting a "Debutantes Ball" or some other social function involving teenagers and alcohol!! I now await the hotels Sales and marketing team's explanation of trying to tell me how this got so out of hand, the lies told to me and why other paying guests had to put up with this appalling behaviour.

Room Tip: Choose one at the back, it's a bit quieter than the front!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Catwoman46
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I'm extremely disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your experience here in Treacy's Hotel Waterford.

Air conditioning is available only in our upgraded deluxe rooms, not in our classic rooms which i believe you were in. Unfortunately due to the structure of the building it would be impossible to install air conditioning into all our bedrooms. I apologise that you were uncomfortable in your room as we have had some unusual hot spells recently. We do provide our guests with fans as you have pointed out.

I'm surprised that you found our evening menu limited. Each evening, the menu consisted of a choice of 3 starters, 3 main courses and 3 desserts. Chicken was available on the menu each night as this is always our most popular dish and was also cooked in a variety of ways. It was served with peppercorn sauce on the first and last evening of your tour. I will pass on your comments to my relevant colleagues for consideration.

I must apologise for the issues and noise you experienced during your last night with us. Our hotel did indeed host a Debutante Ball. I was shocked to find out the next day that other guests were running up and down corridors during the night. It is always a shame when some guests show no consideration for the other people staying with us. The hotel does have a policy in place that states members of such events are not allowed book accommodation with us. Unfortunately some people did book through a 3rd party website and under different names which is beyond the control of the hotel. Due to this, we were not prepared for the 150 people who checked in as part of the Debs party despite the hotel having extra security in place. Once again, i'm terribly sorry for the noise and inconvenience you experienced as a result.

In relation to the assault which took place, it was in fact a member of your group who assaulted a teenage girl from the Debs party. We have CCTV footage of the event and a statement from an eye witness to the incident . We are taking this matter extremely seriously and any violence towards a guest or member of our staff will not be tolerated by our hotel.

With regards to our staff setting off the firm alarm , again this is not the case. Our staff, whether temporary or otherwise, would never disrupt or distress our guests in this manner. It was in fact another guest causing the disruption and we are dealing with this incident. The hotel must always investigate further should a firm alarm go off even if we are aware that it is a false alarm. This can result in the alarm sounding a number of times.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Sales and Marketing Team

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Hull
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just got back from a 5 day trip to Waterford and the Treacys hotel. We went with national holidays, and within our party, there where 45 of us, but this was not a problem for the hotel, very quick booking in service, with a warm smile from all the staff. We where given times for breakfast and the evening meal, which was a good idea, as it was quite busy in the hotel. The room was very good, with everything you needed, the view was not that good, but you are only in there for a little while. The meals in the hotel where great, a open breakfast with just about everything you needed, the evening meal was a 3 course meal, with a lot of choices. The service was great, and again, all the staff where very friendly and helpful. The bar within the hotel is a great place to meet and have a few drinks, with live music most nights, again, with great bar staff, who after seeing you a few times, remember who you are, and what you want to drink. We went there to see family in Wexford, and will definately go back again. A very big thank you to all the staff at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel if you want a view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff. We are extremely fortunate to have such a dedicated team working with us. Each member of staff truly gives 110% and strives to make every guests stay an unforgettable experience.

I’m pleased the room you were allocated had everything you needed but I’m sorry to hear that you were not happy with the view. Here at Treacy’s we have a number of bedrooms available, ranging in size and location to cater for all our guests’ requirements and taste. Specific rooms can be requested but are subject to availability.

Thank you for your compliments on our food. We source only local, fresh ingredients to ensure quality. I'm so glad to hear all the meals served to you were to your satisfaction.

We do indeed have a bar, Timbertoes, which serves bar food daily and also has nightly live entertainment during the summer months. I’m delighted you had the opportunity to experience the wonderful atmosphere in Timbertoes during your stay.

Once again, thank you for such an amazing review. It will be my pleasure to pass on your lovely comments to the rest of the team. I do hope we will be welcoming you back to Treacy’s Hotel, Waterford soon.

Ratoath, Ireland, Europe
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This hotel was great, from extremely friendly staff, fabulous food, great location.
We got an upgrade to a suite due to it being our anniversary and daughters birthday, the room was lovely and spacious including air conditioning which was needed it was so warm, we also got lovely chocolates and cards hand delivered to our door by the manager who is a lovely friendly lady.
In the bar there is a play area ball pit for ki're, pool table etc.
Only slightly off putting thing I will say is the car park is not attached to the hotel you have to walk a few minutes to get to it but it's right above aldi which we found great to pick up a few things!
Overall we had a great holiday and have already recommended to all our friends.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank shelbyhayden
Dear guest,

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to see you had such an enjoyable experience while celebrating both your anniversary and your daughter’s birthday here at Treacy's Hotel, Waterford.

Here at Treacy's we are so fortunate to have such a dedicated team working with us. Every staff member including service staff, reception, housekeeping, kitchen and all the staff working behind the scenes work extremely hard to ensure our guests experience is nothing but exceptional!

I’m so glad that you enjoyed the cards and the chocolates that were personally delivered to your door by our Guest Services Manager. Each of our managers is absolutely invaluable here and is completely dedicated to ensuring that all of our guests have a wonderful, relaxing time during their stay.

We do indeed have a newly opened play area for children and it has proven to be very popular with our young guests. Our complimentary play area includes a ball pit and a pool table as well as other fun activities.

In relation to our car parking, we are proud to offer our guests’ free car parking facilities which as you stated is located 2 blocks behind the hotel above Aldi. Our website does in fact indicate this. However if this is inconvenient for guests there is a public car park located directly across the road from our hotel which costs €5.00. Guests can of course choose either car park.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. I do hope we will be welcoming you and your family back to Treacy's Hotel, Waterford very soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I just stayed here on sat night as a little getaway with 3 other friends. We got a good deal and decided to try it out. We got the train down from Dublin which was very handy. When you come out of the train station , you just cross the bridge and you are at Tracey's Hotel.
First impressions were that the hotel could do with a lick of paint but not too bad. We went inside the receptionist was nice but the decor is abit dated. This seemed to resonate throughout the decor of the whole hotel. The hallways are warm and have a musty smell and the carpet is dated and uneven. We opened our room not expecting much to be honest but were quite surprised it was nice and clean and hand had everything you needed. We had a two course meal as part of our package. The menu was nice. I ordered the vegetable soup for starters. It was very salty and think i couldn't finish it. I then ordered the turkey and ham as a main which itself was lovely but the gravy again way too salty. Other members of my party agreed also.
We had a great night out in Waterford. We went to Kazbar for a few drinks then down to Sinnotts and danced the night away. We got a taxi back to the hotel which only costs €7 so not expensive.

The breakfast buffet was fine, badly laid out and no real flow to it at all. had all you wanted cereals, hot breakfast, tea and coffee.

Overall the stay was fine. I might go back if i was looking for a cheap break but might consider a higher standard hotel. The outdated decor really does let the hotel down and the staff who are all lovely and friendly.

Room Tip: Get one facing the River as it seemed our room felt more spacious and less boxy than our friends roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank kehirlo
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I must admit I am disappointed to read of your experience here in Treacy’s Hotel, Waterford.

Our location is always a favourite with our guests. We are indeed conveniently located just over the bridge, within walking distance of the train station and also the bus station. Our hotel is only a short walk to Waterford's night-life, main shopping and family activities area. We are also located right on Waterford's Quay in close proximity to the Viking Triangle and all the tourist attractions Ireland’s oldest city has to offer.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the exterior and interior of the hotel. We are currently painting the exterior of the hotel to update and improve the appearance of the building. All our rooms and the interior of the hotel are refurbished continually and renovations are constantly underway here in the hotel to improve our guests' experience.

I'm pleased you were satisfied with the room you were allocated. Here at Treacy’s we have a number of bedrooms available, ranging in size and location to cater for all our guests’ requirements and taste. Specific rooms can be requested.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff. I am delighted that you found our staff to be both lovely and friendly. We are extremely fortunate to have such a dedicated team working with us. Each member of staff truly gives 110% and strives to make every guests stay an unforgettable experience.

I’m disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your food and that you found the soup and the gravy too salty. I will pass on your comments to our head chef for consideration.

I’m glad you enjoyed the breakfast you had with us but I’m disappointed that you found our buffet layout confusing. Our team are always on hand to assist guests.

Once again, thank you for your review.