“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Ireland
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

From start to finish our experience at Treacy's hotel was a complete disaster. Perhaps we should have studied the reviews here more closely beforehand. As other reviewers have stated, the hotel itself is a disorganised maze of old narrow corridors with tacky misleading signs. We were actually presented with a MAP to show us the direction of our room! Our sole enjoyment was encountering other lost, bewildered looking guests on our travels. A gps might be of better assistance to guests! The room itself was well below average, even for a three star establishment. It was tiny and noisy despite requesting a quiet room when booking and at check in. As is usual at breakfast we showed our room keys/number and stated our names to the staff member at the entrance to the restaurant. She could not locate our details on her list. We were left standing while she constantly repeated 'no, it's not here on the list'. Eventually another employee came over and said that there had been a mix up because they were missing a page of room numbers! One would expect better organisational skills in any hotel, particularly given the array of hotels available in Waterford city. In order to catch up on sleep due to noise, we placed the hotel 'do not disturb' sign outside our bedroom door. You can imagine our shock when a cleaning lady abruptly entered our room. Obviously the sign meant that we did not require room service. There would appear to be poor communication between management and staff as other issues also arose with errors in relation to our package. We found the manager himself extremely rude and obnoxious. He certainly did not capture the welcoming ethos suggested by their 'family run' hotel. Avoid this hotel at all costs. There are other more organised and pleasant options in closer proximity to the city centre.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank s c
Maria K, Sales & Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm extremely disappointed to read of your experience in the hotel.

I'm sorry you found the hotel layout confusing and disorganised. Our hotel is extensively signposted in order to assist our guests in locating the room. I do not see how these signs are 'tacky' as they are standard signs used in most hotels. I have also checked each sign personally and they are all correct. Unfortunately the construction and layout of the hotel cannot be altered as it is listed as a building of historical value. I'm sure you will agree this is beyond the hotels control.

In relation to a map, upon arrival guests are presented with a welcome letter detailing hotel facilities, breakfast times etc and the hotel layout is on the back of this. Perhaps you mistook this for a map?

I must apologise for the mix-up during breakfast and with housekeeping. I can assure you these incidents are highly unusual and I have spoken to the relevant departments to ensure it does not happen again.

I'm shocked you would find any member of our staff especially a manager to be rude. As you will see from other reviews, our hotel is well know for having an exceptional team dedicated to excellent customer service. Following your review, I have spoken to each of our managers including the General Manager and our duty managers. However not one has any recollection of speaking with you nor is there any record with our reception team of any complaints made from you?

We would always encourage any guest to contact reception immediately should they encounter any issues during their stay.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your review further. I have included my email address for this purpose.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Michelle O'Halloran
Sales and Marketing Executive
sales@thwaterford.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

i stayed in treacys hotel in july of this year.have to say we had another great few days.it never lets us down in any aspect.we had stayed hre in april of this year and had really enjoyed.to our surprise when we went this time they had put a big sorf play area at the back of the bar.i never saw my kids as soon as they left natasha in the kids club it was straight to the play area .this was great for us as we were able to enjoy a few drinks at nite cause the kids were happy.i would highly recommend this hotel for families its just brillant.will be back soon hopefully

Room Tip: rooms in block b better
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Maria K, Sales & Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to hear that you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us.

I’m so glad that you were able to enjoy the atmosphere in our bar, Timbertoes, which serves bar food daily and also has nightly live entertainment during the summer months. We do indeed have a newly opened play area for children and it has proven to be very popular with our young guests. Our complimentary play area includes a ball pit, pool table and arcade games as well as other fun activities.

Our complimentary Kids Club includes morning and evening activities. Our ‘Movie Night’ is an optional extra which costs €5.00. I’m delighted your kids had a great time playing.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. I do hope we will be welcoming you and your family back to Treacy's Hotel, Waterford very soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived the day after my birthday and I happened to mention it to reception when I checked in and they thoughtfully sent a card and chocolates to the room a couple of hours later. Really friendly staff. Nice little swimming pool and steam room etc. Would recommend. Good value for money.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a memorable birthday with us.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff. We are extremely fortunate to have such a dedicated team working with us.

Our Spirit Leisure Centre is complimentary for all our guests and I’m glad you had the opportunity to avail of this service during your stay.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. I do hope we will be welcoming you back to Treacy's Hotel Waterford in the near future.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My self the hubby and our 6year old and some of our friends(party of 7 adults and 5 kids in total) stayed in Tracey's hotel this weekend....we had a ball. when we arrived we were met with a smile and even though the reception area was really busy we were looked after straight away by a lovely girl called Sharon, the customer service manager, Marion couldn't do enough for us and showed us around the hotel and gave us some brilliant info on Waterford. The bar is huge with a FANTASTIC soft play area at the back which kept the kids amused when adults were chatting and having a bite to eat.there was also a free kids club with plenty of activities for the kids to do we were busy so my son only went twice , he did some make and doo on the first time which lasted an hour and then went to the movie evening where he watched nut job and had popcorn and a soft drin(this cost 5 euro) The bar food menu was great and food was lovely, equally the buffet breakfast was tasty too fruit salad cereal's brown and the usual full Irish fry. on the second night we ate in the Thai restaurant Chang Mai, the food was authentic Thai and very tasty, also my husband told staff it was my birthday and they all came out with candles in my desert and sang happy birthday to me! then Marion the customer services manager gave me a birthday card and a box of thorntons chocs!! I couldn't believe it considering this was my first visit to the hotel. The rooms were spacious and spotless, the pool was huge my only criticism would be that there was no kids pool. over all I would recommend a stay at this family orientated warm welcoming hotel !

Room Tip: If you have any mobility problems ring reception and let them know before you arrive as there are so...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our staff. Every staff member including service staff, reception, housekeeping, kitchen and all the staff working behind the scenes work extremely hard to ensure our guests experience is nothing but exceptional!

I’m so glad that you were able to enjoy the food and the atmosphere in our bar, Timbertoes, which serves bar food daily and also has nightly live entertainment during the summer months. We do indeed have a newly opened play area for children and it has proven to be very popular with our young guests. Our complimentary play area includes a ball pit, pool table and arcade games as well as other fun activities.

Our Spirit Leisure centre with 20m swimming pool is complimentary for our guests. Thank you for your feedback regarding a kid’s pool. I will be sure to bring this to our General Manager’s attention for consideration.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your birthday dinner in our Thai restaurant Chang Mai and that we were able to make it a special and memorable celebration for you.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful review. I look forward to passing on your lovely comments to the rest of the team especially Sharon and Marian. We look forward to welcoming you back to Treacy’s Hotel Waterford very soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Overall impression of hotel, rooms was not great - for anyone with mobility issues the stairs to certain rooms could also be a problem. Breakfast was awful - probably the worst hotel breakfast I have ever had, food not good quality the room it was held in I presume was a function room at some stage and not alot has been done to make it feel like a proper dining room - choice very limited if you didn't want a poor quality fry! Staff at the reception/bar are friendly and efficient however, the upkeep of the hotel in general lets the staff down! Back stairs to the rooms - needs to be hoovered and area cleaned up. Rooms very warm despite window being left open all night (room at side of the hotel so traffic noise wasn't great). Overall very disappointing - won't be going there again.

Room Tip: to reduce noise I would say a room to the rear of the hotel - heavy traffic to front and side
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit in our hotel. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience with you directly. We value all feedback, both positive or otherwise, and customer satisfaction is our number one priority. I am extremely disappointed to read your review.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at sales@thwaterford.com

Michelle O'Halloran
Sales & Marketing Team

Travellers are raving about these Waterford hotels

County Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have just come back from spending 8 fantastic nights in Treacys Hotel in Waterford city. From the moment we walked into the hotel we got a lovely welcome and the children were made to feel so special. It was the start of a great holiday. We met the girls at reception and Marian Long who is the customer liason person for the hotel. Marian is such an asset to the hotel because she made the whole week feel as if we were at home from home.
We weren't long in our family room which was big and suitable for a family of 5. The kids couldn't wait to go swimming and they had such fun and it was well managed. They then went off to the kids club for the evening with Natasha for arts and crafts and to watch a DVD. They all came back happy. While they were gone we had a lovely meal in Crokers restaurant and it was very good value and the service was first class.
All in all the whole week that we stayed there the children and ourselves had a great time. Each member of staff was so helpful and there was never a problem if we wanted anything. The great thing about it was the location because we could walk up the town or go to the beach and it just felt very safe.
We will be happy to go back again and the children cant wait to return because they loved it so much.

Catherine and Francis Kenny Galway

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Catherine K
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to see you had such an enjoyable family holiday here at Treacy's Hotel, Waterford.

Thank you for your compliments on our staff. Our hotel is well known for having a dedicated team who strive to provide exceptional customer service.

I'm so pleased you were satisfied with the family room you were allocated. We have a number of bedrooms available, ranging in size and location to cater for all our guest’s requirements and taste.

Our Spirit Leisure Centre, with 20m swimming pool is complimentary for all our guests. The Leisure Centre is equipped with state-of-the-art gym, sauna, jacuzzi and gym studio. I’m delighted you had the opportunity to enjoy the swimming pool during your stay.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our Kids Club. Our Kids Club has proven to be very popular with our guests and I am delighted to hear that your children enjoyed their time there. Our complimentary Kids Club includes morning and evening activities. We do indeed offer an optional extra ‘Movie Night’ for the cost of €5.00 a child.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed the food and the first class service in Croker's Restaurant. We source only local, fresh ingredients to ensure quality.

Our location is always a favourite with our guests. Our hotel is only a short walk to Waterford's main shopping and family activities area. We are also located right on Waterford's Quay in close proximity to the Viking Triangle and all the local tourist attractions.

Once again, thank you for such an amazing review. I look forward to passing on your lovely comments to the rest of the team especially Marian and Natasha.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Treacys Waterford Hotel in Ireland:
------------------------------------------

We stayed in this hotel overnight in June this year as a part of a tour group.
The location of this hotel in Merchant Quay is excellent facing a river.
Some of the rooms have river view. The rooms are located in 2 levels in each floor.
After you get off the elevator, for some rooms you have to walk with your luggage through a ziz-zag corridor and climb a little bit because of arrangement of rooms on
Different levels. You find a bit confused in reaching your room from the lift for a while till you become familiar with the place. Otherwise rooms are large, clean and well maintained with tea/coffee making facilities, hair dryer, fresh towels and bath gel in bath room. The hotel offers a range of dining options with a number of bars and restaurants serving specialty food with live music in the evening. There are also a number of eateries on either side of the hotel when you step out of the hotel on to the road. A few Indian restaurants are also there within 2 minutes walking distance from the hotel. We had buffet breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant in the lobby. It was nice. Overall the courteous staff made our stay comfortable and memorable.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Maria K, Sales and Marketing at Treacys Hotel Waterford, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm so pleased you were satisfied with the room you were allocated. Here at Treacy’s Hotel, Waterford we have a number of bedrooms available, ranging in size and location to cater for all our guest’s requirements.

Indeed our rooms at the front of the hotel do offer a lovely view of Waterford quay. I’m delighted you found your room to be clean and well maintained. Our housekeeping staff always make every effort to ensure that all our rooms are maintained to a high standard.

I’m sorry to hear that you found the layout of the rooms confusing. All our corridors are extensively sign posted. Any guests having difficulty finding their room are advised to contact reception for assistance. They will be more than happy to help.

We do indeed offer a range of dining options for our guests. Our bar, Timbertoes, serves an extensive bar menu daily and also has nightly live entertainment during the summer months. The Wallace restaurant serves breakfast each morning. We also have two restaurants open in the evenings, our very popular Crokers restaurant serves dinner nightly and also Chiang Mai Thai restaurant serves delicious Thai cuisine in a warm and soothing atmosphere.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the breakfast you had with us. We serve a buffet style continental breakfast which includes cereals, fresh fruit, and a choice of yogurts, fruit juices and also hot food.

Once again, thank you for such a wonderful review. We hope to welcome you back to Treacy’s Hotel, Waterford very soon.